SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

automatic car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06 | 06:10 PM
tfischer

First of all, there is no such thing as a thick coat of wax. You can apply wax all day long, and the wax layer will be the same thickness. Some waxes are a little harder than others, but hot water will melt wax (candle) and detergent will emulsify it (that's why detailers use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to wash off old wax to get down to the paint to start anew.

Polymers like Zaino, considered by many to be the best of the polymers (but we are not going to get into that here) do not come off in hot water or in detergent, and once cured, additional layers can be built up to give the finish a deep and "wet look." In addition, polymers last for about 6 months before water stops beading and you need to apply more; most waxes last maybe a month in good conditions. Those are the advantages as far as I know. The disadvantage is that the initial application can be time consuming, because you have to take off the wax (with a Dawn wash) and then apply several coats of Zaino.

Once that is done, however, a coat or two every once in a while is all you need. The finish is so smooth the dirt almost falls off the car by itself.

I switched to Zaino when I got my SC430 (black) and after almost 5 years, most people think it's brand new.

Get info about Zaino from the Zaino Brothers web page. Generally speaking, you don't want to put it over anything but bare paint, because it bonds to the paint. If you put it on over wax, it will come off in a month with the wax.

So, high pressure hot water will take off a lot of the protection offered by wax, and if there is detergent in there, it could take all the wax off. Polymers are not affected by the hot water itself or the detergent, although the high pressure spraying is never a good thing.

For all of these reasons, I avoid automatic car washes of all sorts.
Old 01-11-06 | 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yup the zaino is that good

i like a lot too coz' after you wax it, dust definitely doesn't seem to stay on as much. amazing :0
Old 01-12-06 | 05:09 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
so zaino over nxt and liquid glass?? right now I am using liquid glass was gonna switch to nxt but everyone I ask uses zaino. can anyone rate the 3 waxes for me from a scale of 1 - 10
If 10 is the best and 1 the worst then:
Zaino 10
NXT 7
Liquid Glass 5

I've tried most of what's out there over the years and Zaino continues to be the best.
JTMav
Old 01-12-06 | 06:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

just to clarify nxt isnt a polymer? and damn I am going to have to clay bar my car again and zaino it
Old 01-12-06 | 07:45 AM
tfischer

I'm not sure what NXT is, but I think it's a polymer. Check the mfg's web page for info.

Whether Zaino will bond with it or whether you should take it off before applying Zaino is also something I don't know. That info may be on the Zaino Brothers web pages. (www.zainostore.com) If you send an email to Sal Zaino with that question, you will most probably get a quick reply.

I do know that claying the car will not take off a polymer. Claying just removes actual particles like rail dust that have embedded themselves into the paint. Claying should not have to be done very often at all, and it's not hard or time consuming at all. It's best to do it when the car is new, but after that maybe once a year or so.

For all the info on this car care stuff, go to the detailing forums at autiopia.com and use the "search." (http://autopia.org)

Over and out.
Old 01-12-06 | 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

just for the record, if you want the slickest and wettest look, there are better stuff like the cannabar (sp??). however for the best balance of look and durability, zaino is the best i have seen so far
Old 01-12-06 | 10:30 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
just for the record, if you want the slickest and wettest look, there are better stuff like the cannabar (sp??). however for the best balance of look and durability, zaino is the best i have seen so far
I am not so sure that you can say carnuba is the wettest, I think most sealants are wetter but some people feel that carnuba shows more depth. There is an opinion that Zaino, Klasse, Blackfire and other sealants are not quite "real" looking I have tried topping Zaino with Blitz wax(very durable carnuba) but thought it was a waste of time. Zaino, applied to a properly prepared surface will outshine and outlast anyhting I've seen. Layering also shows good results. Zaino seems to look better after a short cure time

As far as claying goes, a new car shouldn't need claying for a year or more. I think using Dawn is a bit too much and will damage the rubber gaskets especially at the roof joints if used very often. I know Sal recommends Dawn but it is a dish washing detergent not a car wash.

JTMav
Old 01-12-06 | 10:36 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

the dawn is just to take off any old wax or oils and grease that are on the car that most car wash stuff dont take off well. Because zaino wont seal well with your car if u have stuff underneath it.
Old 01-12-06 | 10:46 AM
tfischer

Dawn is not to be used on any kind of a regular basis.

Dawn strips off the wax better than almost any other product out there, and it is not expensive, and you can use the rest of it up in the kitchen. Detailers use Dawn ONLY when they want to get off wax and get down to the paint to start from there, and from what I have read, they all agree that you should not wash your car with dishwashing detergent, other than for this particular purpose.

For the most part, if someone is going to apply a polymer to a car that has been waxed, or even one that is brand new (and probably waxed by the dealer), then use Dawn. Since it takes off the wax, it is not something anybody would use regularly. Car wash products are formulated not to take off the wax for that reason. But since polymers won't bond to the wax, you can't just use a normal car wash product, because then you probably will not be applying the polymer to the paint, just to the wax, which is a waste of time.

Dawn is probably not going to do your rubber gaskets any good either, as noted above. To protect them, as far as I have been able to determine, the best thing to do is apply 303 once or twice a year. Also, this is the best stuff I have found for the top of the dash. It's main function is to block UV light, so it's needed in a convertible, plus it really gives the black, textured surface of the dash a nice matt sheen without being greasy. Highly recommended.
Old 01-12-06 | 11:01 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

I agree with TFischer about the 303, great stuff. As far as the interior is concerned, and since we're on a Zaino roll, I have found the Zaino "Leather in a bottle" to be the best for interior. Smells just like new leather and can be applied through out the interior, vinyl or leather, with good results, not greasy or too reflective.

I have no connection with Zaino, but I do have a garage full of half used competitors products that have led me to this conclusion.

JTMav
Old 01-12-06 | 11:37 AM
tfischer

Ab-so-tutely!!!

Forgive me for not mentioning that the Zaino Leather conditioner is wonderful stuff. I rub in into the leather seats at least twice a year just the way you want (but don't get) your girl friend to run sun tan lotion onto your back. It smells great and keeps the leather in very good condition, which is important if you park the car with the top down during the summer time -- and if you don't do that, why not???

Speaking of Zaino, I use the Zaino plastic cleaner on that little windbreaker between the rear "seat" headrests. My one bottle should last the life of the car, or my life, since that's all I use it for, but it cleans off everything, including scratches, to the point of invisibility.

Highly recommended.

That sun tan thing is also highly recommended.