SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 Nav System Update -- Unhappy so far

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 03:03 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 2005 Nav System Update -- Unhappy so far

I just received the 2005 Nav system update for the 2002-2004 SC 430 from Sewell. Very easy to install (just follow Sewell Lexus on line instructions). The price was much lower than my local dealer ($259 + $10) and it took about a minute or two to complete the whole thing. I've heard Lexus wants $100 for the installation?? I checked the version and it appears to be right. V.05.1.

Problem is, the nav system still does not recognize half the streets in my neighborhood. I am between Annapolis, MD and Washington DC in a 20 year old development. It recognizes my street name and number when I program them, but when it guides me here, it says I am here well before I get here. And does not display the street name. Exactly like the original 2002 version.

I have a year old Magellan RoadMate that knows where everything is and takes me there with no problems. Note: the Lexus system leads me the very long way time after time. The Magellan is on the money. I swear I have a friend with a 2002 Avalon and a nav system that displays the name of my road, and has since she bought the car new. I have sat in it and looked at my court on the screen.

Is there a difference between the Avalon nav and the Lexus? Why would the 2005 update not have a reasonable street mapping on it? Could I be doing something wrong? :sad:

Very disappointed with spending $259 so far. Glad I didn't do the dealer $470 verson. I'll update on whether the directions are any better.

John
Old 01-11-06, 04:55 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that doesn't seem right that the avalon would have it and your SC does not. sure, the avalon has a newer gen nav system, but if you got the updated data, your nav should be more complete! i was going to order as well, but i did notice after all the years of owning lexus that not until my 06 GS bought in March 05, did my house street become fully "there". and the house was built in 2000! by the time i wait 4-5 years for the newer roads by my house to be filled in, i will likely have traded in for something else, so i'm outta luck.

anyway, i think denso is definitely 4-5+ years behind. 20 years is ridiculous. maybe you could write them and let them know...
Old 01-11-06, 05:43 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nooo dont say that I just ordered mine and I am hoping my house shows up its been there since 2000 also. If i dont like it imma sell my DVD
Old 01-11-06, 08:11 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There have been a few times where I did need that last left hand turn alert. to get home Haha. And, yes, I probably should not have been behind the wheel.

But the lack of any street updates from 2002-2006 in a very dense area in a major metropolitan area does not bode well for the rest of the area, state, country. The Magellan is just so much more complete and provides much better guidance (plus more logical controls and less unnecessary alerts). The Lexus nav is more for show (turn the voice off) or, if you REALLY have no idea where you are, it will probably eventually get you there -- eventually. Just bad logic and continued bad mapping. I would have expected much more. And had hoped the new update would have provided it. NOT. At least in the Baltimore/DC area so far.

A friend said to stick the Magellan on the windshield and forget the Lexus nav. Something is not right. And the nav cover looks so cool going up and down. And the screen is pretty and changes color at night. Wish the guts were better.

How could a 2002 Avalon have a highter gen nav system than a 2002 Lexus??? Or than a 2004 Lexus? And more complete information? The good news is that my girlfriend's street is still on the system. But now I can't change girlfriends for fear I'll get lost. At least until I get a new car.
Old 01-11-06, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aka pablo
if you don't know how to get home after all this time you really shouldn't be behind the wheel. imo.
err.... i dont' think that was his point.....
Old 01-12-06, 01:57 AM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Nav Update

I have a 2004 SC and one of my Christmas presents to myself was to be a NAV update. But after reading this thread I am not sure I will waist the money. A friend of mine moved into a new neighborhood that does not show on the current version. It is a neighbor hood that is only a year or so old. I suspect if they can not get it right for your area there is no way his home/street will be on the latest update. May wait another year or so.
Old 01-12-06, 05:56 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I just got my new disc but have not installed it yet.

I'm sure there are areas with insufficient or even wrong data, but when I upgraded two years ago, I was surprised that a friend's new house in a new development in Raliegh was there, as was a new condo development in Princeton that I visited.

I'm just assuming that the map and POI information is updated, and I hope they got my street right, but overall I would think that it has to be an improvement. We shall see.

Also, since only 2 or 3 companies provide the data to the car companies, it does seem strange that another Toyota NAV system has more accurate data than the Lexus. Something is wrong there.