SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ride of 19" non-runflat compared to 18" runflat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 11:59 AM
clubaddict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride of 19" non-runflat compared to 18" runflat?

anyone know how the ride is when upgrading to a 19" non-runflat compared to the stock 18" runflats?
Old 01-16-06, 12:11 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the Tein CS combination, my 19" non-runflat has a better ride quality compares to stock setting.
Old 01-16-06, 12:30 PM
mightyd
Rookie

I have 20" , tein coil overs and swaybars and I think the ride is better than the run flats
Old 01-17-06, 02:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

same here, i have 20s, non-runflats, cilovers, and sways, and my car runs 100 times better than stock .....
Old 01-17-06, 07:09 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the sways really help that much
Old 01-17-06, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
do the sways really help that much
handling wise the sway is a must. that together with coilover will totally transform your car
Old 01-17-06, 08:41 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
handling wise the sway is a must. that together with coilover will totally transform your car
doesnt the car have swaybars already stock?

im not sure about adding a coilover system....it rides pretty rough already and i need all the ground clearance I can get...(tristate area...tons of potholes everywhere) no more lowering for me!

im a lil hesitant about messing with the suspension... i went through 3 suspensions with my last car(acura cl uses accord suspension parts) first apex springs- which dropped everything SUPER LOW undrivable scrape everything/bottoming out, then a eibachprokit-koni yellow combination- driveable, but hut a pothole and one of the shocks failed, 3rd- NEX SS coilovers - dropped it lil lower than the prokit...but a yr later I wanted to adjust and the coilovers froze into place/nonadjustable... not to mention all the $ on tires, never having right camber, alignment issues, scraping everything...(had to repair exhaust pipes twice), sideskirt damage during carwash, frontlip falling off(impact)
Old 01-17-06, 08:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Same as others. Rides mucho mucho better than stock even with the suspension.

Lee
Old 01-18-06, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by clubaddict
doesnt the car have swaybars already stock?

im not sure about adding a coilover system....it rides pretty rough already and i need all the ground clearance I can get...(tristate area...tons of potholes everywhere) no more lowering for me!

im a lil hesitant about messing with the suspension... i went through 3 suspensions with my last car(acura cl uses accord suspension parts) first apex springs- which dropped everything SUPER LOW undrivable scrape everything/bottoming out, then a eibachprokit-koni yellow combination- driveable, but hut a pothole and one of the shocks failed, 3rd- NEX SS coilovers - dropped it lil lower than the prokit...but a yr later I wanted to adjust and the coilovers froze into place/nonadjustable... not to mention all the $ on tires, never having right camber, alignment issues, scraping everything...(had to repair exhaust pipes twice), sideskirt damage during carwash, frontlip falling off(impact)
man i really hate to say, but you had some very poor experience with a car that's not even close to the sc430.

1) yes there is a stock sway bars, but it's so thin. aftermarket sways will make it handle even better. it's almost like saying there are stock springs/shocks arleady, why aftermarket
2) using just springs, or the wrong springs/shocks combo, is a complete waste of money imho. i am not trying to offend anyone, when i had my acura tl-s, i also only had springs. yeah the look was ok, but the ride was not really that impressive, as it was kinda bouncy. i have tein cs on my gs400 and sc430, and both cars are running almost like stock. even my parents don't have any complain. having coilovers doesn't mean the car will be stiffer or ride harsh, it depends on what you get and how you set it up. i can honestly say my tein cs on the sc430 makes the car ride smooth. the problem with the stock sc430 ride being so stupidly harsh is the run-flats. blaming it on sways or springs/shocks is definitely a wrong assumption. pretty much every single one here went away from runflats and they are amazed at how much better the car rides.

and last point, with coilover, who says you have to lower your ca.r put on tein cs, keep the car at the EXACTLY same height as stock if you want, and i can still guarantee better performance. and you don't have to worry about tire wear or camber.

again sorry to hear about your poor experience with your acura cl and all those kits. but money talks here, you get what you pay for. just springs that's never a solution to me, and getting good coilover systems like the bilestein or tein will go a long way. personally i have never heard about the NEX before
Old 01-18-06, 06:58 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone know how the ride is when upgrading to a 19" non-runflat compared to the stock 18" runflats?
I got my car back from a service last week (20" not lowered) and the driver who collected it and dropped it back said the ride was much nicer than the stock 18" runflats. I would imagine he's driven a few SC's

Still cant decide to go with the coilovers or not.. when the car was in for service they managed to maul my sideskirts (Wald) on the ramp. Never saw it the service manager phoned me and kept the car at their bodyshop for an extra day, when I got the car back everything was as it should. Gawd knows what they would do next time if I had it lowered.
Old 01-18-06, 03:15 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
man i really hate to say, but you had some very poor experience with a car that's not even close to the sc430.

1) yes there is a stock sway bars, but it's so thin. aftermarket sways will make it handle even better. it's almost like saying there are stock springs/shocks arleady, why aftermarket
2) using just springs, or the wrong springs/shocks combo, is a complete waste of money imho. i am not trying to offend anyone, when i had my acura tl-s, i also only had springs. yeah the look was ok, but the ride was not really that impressive, as it was kinda bouncy. i have tein cs on my gs400 and sc430, and both cars are running almost like stock. even my parents don't have any complain. having coilovers doesn't mean the car will be stiffer or ride harsh, it depends on what you get and how you set it up. i can honestly say my tein cs on the sc430 makes the car ride smooth. the problem with the stock sc430 ride being so stupidly harsh is the run-flats. blaming it on sways or springs/shocks is definitely a wrong assumption. pretty much every single one here went away from runflats and they are amazed at how much better the car rides.

and last point, with coilover, who says you have to lower your ca.r put on tein cs, keep the car at the EXACTLY same height as stock if you want, and i can still guarantee better performance. and you don't have to worry about tire wear or camber.

again sorry to hear about your poor experience with your acura cl and all those kits. but money talks here, you get what you pay for. just springs that's never a solution to me, and getting good coilover systems like the bilestein or tein will go a long way. personally i have never heard about the NEX before
would you say theres anything negative with the sway bars or the coilover kit? (harsher ride, matinence issues, etcetc?)
thanks
Old 01-18-06, 07:23 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to find someone selling used Tien CS I figure if I got a used car I should buy used parts. Lee can u sell me ur used toms CS for a crack head price better yet you should test some more CS's then sell me one of those. your a good tester
Old 01-19-06, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

would you say theres anything negative with the sway bars or the coilover kit? (harsher ride, matinence issues, etcetc?)
thanks
personally i don't think the sways affect the ride that much at all. maybe it will make it a bit harsher, but it has to be pretty uneven road for you to feel it

coilovers, it depends on what you got. i have the tein cs, and i put it on pretty soft. the car is not floaty anymore like stock. not bouncy but a solid thump. some people say that's harsher ride, i can understand, but to me that's better than jumping up and down several times.