SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do you remember your first thoughts when you saw the SC 430??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-06, 05:02 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you remember your first thoughts when you saw the SC 430??

What were your initial thoughts when you saw the SC430 in person (or magazine for that matter) for the first time? I remember mine quite well it was the July 4th weekend in 2000 or 01. All I know is that he was real early with it. My mother and I were celebrating our birthdays in Miami. Mine is the 10th hers the 4th. Anyway we were staying in my uncle's condo down there and I ofcourse would go out (leave moms in the house) and drive his CLK430 Cab because he made it clear the Azure was off limits that week.) I must have put 2500 miles on it that week. You couldn't tell me sheeet.

Well I was at the light (Collins Ave. I think) with the top down of course and this dude pulls up to me in a Absolutely Red and drops his roof without having to reach up to twist that stupid latch like I did. I was like Whoa a hard top Lex with a folding roof. I had to give it up to the brotha I just smiled and nodded my head. I can't even front, I had to salute him. He pulled off and I just froze there at the light like a straight up groupie and I never do that. I was in such awe. This is coming from someone who has been fortunate enough to have driven practically everything from 600's to Bentleys. If its an automatic I've probably driven it. Don't laugh guys but I couldn't drive a stick if my life depended on it. I must learn before I die though.

The folding metal roof, the color, the chrome Lexus badges the curvy body lines. Simply unforgettable. Anyway that was my early memory of the SC430 and have always desired one since. Hopefully I'll bring this desire to reality very soon!!!
Old 01-16-06, 09:18 PM
RGA
Rookie

This is me when I first saw one .
This is me & my girlfriend when I informed her I want to buy one
This is me when my girlfriend broke up with me .
This is me when bought one .
This is me driving with the top down .
This is me driving by me Ex-girl's house with my SC430 & my New Girl .
This is my Ex on her porch , along with some cursing & throwing of a shoe (whiched missed thank god)..
Old 01-16-06, 10:52 PM
veryme
Rookie

loooooooooool you guys are soo funny ! ,,,

well ,, to be honest ,, i didnt like it as much as i do now ,, i was like ,, " its cute ,, but aaa .. No ,, Not for me .., "

i know its crazy but thats exactlly how i felt
Old 01-16-06, 11:08 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RGA
This is me when I first saw one .
This is me & my girlfriend when I informed her I want to buy one
This is me when my girlfriend broke up with me .
This is me when bought one .
This is me driving with the top down .
This is me driving by me Ex-girl's house with my SC430 & my New Girl .
This is my Ex on her porch , along with some cursing & throwing of a shoe (whiched missed thank god)..

That is funny stuff. Well put.

I really liked the SC when it came out and this was when I had my SC400. However I thought the wheels really diminished the overall appeal of the car which I still feel today. My first impression of the interior to myself was, “How could I drive something so damn incredibly gorgeous on the inside”?
Old 01-17-06, 02:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

"that's a weird looking car"

sorry but that was my first thought. although everything changed soon afterwards, especially when my wife told me she loves this car
Old 01-17-06, 06:08 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

That's exactly what I thought weird, but weird being different so it kind of intrigued me.

My wife loved the car so we went with it. Now with the new wheels on the car I've got that excited feeling and I just have to go into the garage and look at it every once in a while.

Originally Posted by rominl

sorry but that was my first thought. although everything changed soon afterwards, especially when my wife told me she loves this car
Old 01-17-06, 07:07 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thoughts were the same as when I first saw the celica before I bought one.

"Damn that car is nice but who the hell designed those ugly *** tail lights"

I guess I got a thing for cars with ugly tail lights because the car just grows on me and I got to get one.
Old 01-17-06, 07:34 AM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

First response was "ugh"

I remember them claiming some Mediterrean influences. I thought they missed the boat.
Old 01-17-06, 02:39 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at first when I saw it on the showroom floor, I didn't really like the back end, but moving towards the front, it looked better than the back. it had nice curves and lines but once you move around to the back, it looked like a boat. after awhile, i got used to it and it grew on me.

For the stock style, there's just so many now, they all look the same, a boat.
but after a few exterior mods, the car takes on a whole different look and character.

w/ the WALD kit and Soarer emblem, people just seems to be in "ah" and "disbelief" that it's a Lexus, until they see the rear big "L" emblem. Everything else, is WALD and Soarer emblem.

this vehicle has so much potential to be what you want it to be.
Old 01-17-06, 03:42 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl

Weird exactly and that's what makes ithe SC430 so hot. I'm not saying its a Lambo/Ferarri but it stands out with its "exotic" looks. To me exotic means out of the ordinary. Thats what I love about it. Some call it strange or weird but that to me is what defines it. I give Lexus a for creating a vehicle with "controversial" styling. That to me is true automotive designing. Look at Jags, Porsches or Most MB's. Lexus stepped out of the box with this design. I praise Toyota for that after being plagued with Vanilla or cookie cutter uninspired designs (at least thats what most critics feel).
Old 01-17-06, 04:32 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a big fan of the SC400 so the SC430 was a real treat. The new MB SL500 makes me look and the Caddy XLR has its fine points as well.

Since owning the SC430 for the past few months I like the look and feel even more.

wheels are weak !

Last edited by MNPine; 01-17-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 04:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was shocked and disappointed at the same time. After confirming it was indeed thenew SC, my feelings changed to heartbrokenness. I was hoping for so much more from Lexus. The best car in Lexus history evolved into......well, I'm not sure how to describe it.

Now I've gotten a little used to it. I can appreciate it's curvy lines and out of the ordinary shape. I can't forgive Lexus for making those ugly head and tail lites and for not making it roomy enough for big guys. After all, there is no other choice for sport coupes from Lexus. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could fit in the thing.
Old 01-17-06, 05:33 PM
imbuggin
Driver

Default banna nana nana batman

I wondered who put those ugly wheels on that wicked new batmobile!
Old 01-17-06, 05:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To add: I think I was similar to many out there that assumed the new SC would be a revolutionary step from the SC00. Not. Then perhaps, damn my car is now outdated because that car is so radically different. But to own one, to drive one, there is no other Lexus and few cars to give the same experience. The interior is incredible (for us short 6' and below folks) and everything is chiseled from brick.
Old 01-17-06, 07:36 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

i liked it...i even brushed up on my french to understand the commercials

Quick Reply: Do you remember your first thoughts when you saw the SC 430??