SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

whats the vdim cheat w/ traction control thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 01:57 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default whats the vdim cheat w/ traction control thing

I was reading about this in an IS350 thread about how they do this before they race to get more power. Can you do it on the sc?
Old 01-17-06, 02:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I don't think the SC has VDIM, does it? Only the 06 GS and IS do?

Edit - checked the Lexus website to confirm... SC has the VSC traction control system for now, it's sure to show up in the next revision. Can't turn off what isn't there

http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/specifications.html

Also from the Lexus site
Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM):
Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) [1] is a system which integrates braking, steering, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [2] and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VDIM will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.
[2] Lexus Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.

Here's a little video
http://www.lexus.com/models/is/demo_.../vdimDemo.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-17-06 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

dave is correct, no vdim on the sc430 at all, just the 06 gs and is right now

and to disable your vsc? sure, just press on the vsc off button on the center contorl (right by the arm rest) and you are good to go

and no it won't give you more power, it just don't take away power when you are losing control. just make sur eyou know what you are doing
Old 01-19-06, 06:48 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

so should you be in D or 4 when ur wanting to race, as well as turn off vsc and hit the pwr button.
Old 01-19-06, 07:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
so should you be in D or 4 when ur wanting to race, as well as turn off vsc and hit the pwr button.
In the GS at least (assume same for SC) you want to be in 'D', PWR on, VSC off. Although they supposedly turn off themselves at WOT (wide open throttle) I turn off accessories like AC. When you're close to launch time 'power brake' a little by holding your foot on the gas and the other on the brake and while you're holding the car still bring the RPMs up to about 2000 - 2200 before letting it go and smashing accellerator down. If you hold the power brake too long it heats up the transmission / torque converter so I don't recommend anyone do that often.
Old 01-19-06, 07:53 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
In the GS at least (assume same for SC) you want to be in 'D', PWR on, VSC off. Although they supposedly turn off themselves at WOT (wide open throttle) I turn off accessories like AC. When you're close to launch time 'power brake' a little by holding your foot on the gas and the other on the brake and while you're holding the car still bring the RPMs up to about 2000 - 2200 before letting it go and smashing accellerator down. If you hold the power brake too long it heats up the transmission / torque converter so I don't recommend anyone do that often.

thanks dave.

I thought that by putting it in 4 instead of D then you rev higher per gear is this wrong logic? Can someone correct me or give me the reason to put it in D
Old 01-19-06, 09:34 AM
spyderdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there shouldn't be any difference by putting it in 4 or D. it simply means that 4 will utilize upto 4 gears and D will utilize upto all 5 gears. One other ways to mess up your car to have quick launch is to put it in "N" reve up to 2000 rpm and then put it in D at the launch.
Old 01-19-06, 10:39 AM
imbuggin
Driver

Default are you sure

Originally Posted by spyderdude
there shouldn't be any difference by putting it in 4 or D. it simply means that 4 will utilize upto 4 gears and D will utilize upto all 5 gears. One other ways to mess up your car to have quick launch is to put it in "N" reve up to 2000 rpm and then put it in D at the launch.

are you sure about that. The shift patterns seem to be different as well. My car seems much faster in 4 than D. It is also much more resposive. The only time I drive in "D" is the highway and not always than either.
Old 01-19-06, 11:49 AM
clubaddict
Driver

would power-braking have a similar effect in messing up your car?
Old 01-19-06, 02:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's correct, 4 only means that's the top gear the car will stay in. imho if you race through the end of the 4th gear, it's probably time to shut down anyway
Old 01-19-06, 02:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks dave.

I thought that by putting it in 4 instead of D then you rev higher per gear is this wrong logic? Can someone correct me or give me the reason to put it in D
the reason would be if youare over 130mph and still racing and need to shift into 5th gear. otherwise if you are in 4 it will just bounce off the limiter
Old 01-20-06, 07:41 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

I wouldn't reccomend dropping the car into D at 2000rpm. Powerbraking is a better option, though it will heat up your trans fluid if you do it too long, (IMO) it's a lot better than slamming it into gear.

And as others've said, leaving it in 4 should take out the 5th gear/Overdrive and give you a snappier response. W/O knowing the exact ratios and OD on the SC, you'll likely benefit in 2nd gear on.
Old 01-20-06, 08:31 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rsa supra
I wouldn't reccomend dropping the car into D at 2000rpm. Powerbraking is a better option, though it will heat up your trans fluid if you do it too long, (IMO) it's a lot better than slamming it into gear.

And as others've said, leaving it in 4 should take out the 5th gear/Overdrive and give you a snappier response. W/O knowing the exact ratios and OD on the SC, you'll likely benefit in 2nd gear on.

That was my assumption when I thought leaving it in 4th gear would be better. I thought D or overdrive just made the gear ratios longer to save more gas.
Old 01-20-06, 08:46 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

can someone go to the track and run their cars in D and 4 to test out this theory for me
Old 01-20-06, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That was my assumption when I thought leaving it in 4th gear would be better. I thought D or overdrive just made the gear ratios longer to save more gas.
the 5th gear is overdrive, that's why it's "d". but if you never shift into 5th before you end the race, you are not going to benefit anything by putting it in 4.

i have tried both in my gs400 and sc430. putting it in d or 4, you floor it, it's the same throughout the first 3 gears

Quick Reply: whats the vdim cheat w/ traction control thing