SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Whats the difference between 02-current sc's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 03:33 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats the difference between 02-current sc's?

Hey everyone i've been thinking lately about getting an sc430. I've always wanted a convertible ever since i started driving, well my gf doesnt think i should get a soft top convertible, so i was thinking sbout the sc430. So my question is what are the differences between the model years? Did the standard equipment change?Also, anyone have any idea why almost all sc's seem to come with a light color interior? im trying to find a low mileage sc with a dark color interior preferably black. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-18-06, 06:24 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through the same thing with my SC desires. So I definitely understand your questions/concerns. Go to Lexus website and check their model history breakdown in their CPO link. Just look at their year by year model library and you will see their minor changes. I believe the most significant changes were this years 2006 models with LED tails and updated grille, 6 speed trannys and adaptive headlights. Good luck in your search!!

By the way I was finally able to get wifey to co-sign with me on my SC desires. All I had to do was borrow my friend's and she fell in love. She hates ragtops which is part of the reason she shot down the CLK Cab.
Old 01-18-06, 06:49 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by genearch
I've always thought we should have a "charting the changes" section here.. maybe Henry will chime in..

2003 - I believe Lexus Link was about it, optional wheel centers offered?
2004 -
2005 - New NAV? Bluetooth added
2006- revised HP rating, new headlight & taillight design w/LED, adaptive headlights, six speed

I haven't followed too closely, maybe we need a sticky that can be updated each year?
That would be really useful, especially with the minor changes.
Old 01-18-06, 06:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I've always thought we should have a "charting the changes" section here.. maybe Henry will chime in..

2003 - I believe Lexus Link was about it, optional wheel centers offered?
2004 -
2005 - New NAV? Bluetooth added
2006- revised HP rating, new headlight & taillight design w/LED, adaptive headlights, six speed

I haven't followed too closely, maybe we need a sticky that can be updated each year?
I think the seats can be reclined a bit further 2004 & after
Old 01-18-06, 07:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Now that you mention it....

I'm thinking that was 2003?...
Mine's a 2003, I don't think so
Old 01-18-06, 08:07 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea make henry do work , did anyone mention the upgraded bushings after 2002, and the different suspensio in the 2006
Old 01-18-06, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Mine's a 2003, I don't think so
yeah i think it's 03+

05 they changed the springs and shocks
06 they changed it yet again (possibly from a member's review)

for 06, the grill changed, so is the front bumper. and the new headlights have different lines, from GEE-BEE it seems like the new and old bumpers are not interchangeable, the hood might be different too

06 has new shift plate design and also new different dash as well

and of course 06 now they have new wheel design, all alloy, no more covers

starting 05 they have new nav like gene said, new generation (different software) with bluetooth and voice recognition

if i am right, the older 02 sc430, there is no text feature on audio, but later yrs have it, not sure about the yr cut off

on 02, the rear seat belts don't have the clip, so when top down there might be seat belt rattle. i think they added it in later yrs.
Old 01-18-06, 09:48 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

This is wrong: "on 02, the rear seat belts don't have the clip, so when top down there might be seat belt rattle. i think they added it in later yrs."

I have a first edition, (April '01) and there are clips to hold down the rear seat belts. They have little magnet clips, just like the clips that hold the front belt in place at the upper edge of the front seats. I have not noticed any recent change to this in recent years, although I have not usually looked very closely at the rear seat accessories.
Old 01-18-06, 10:53 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks everyone. strange that there hasnt been much changed in so many years. I just wished that they would depreciate faster since i dont want to spend more then 37K. anyone have any idea about the light interior? seems like most used sc's i see have light colored interiors.
Old 01-18-06, 11:33 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2002 text for radio stations with rds on is available
Old 01-18-06, 11:53 AM
tfischer

If it "seems like most used sc's i see have light colored interiors," I would guess that you are generalizing from insufficient data.

Until recently, there were 3 interior colors available: ecru (which is just slightly off-white), black and "saddle," in the brown area of the spectrum. I doubt that they sold 33% of each, but I also doubt that half were ecru.

Also, there were some exterior/interior combinations that were not put together.

A dealer might be able to access actual sales data for you if you want, but if you are looking at the used market, you are going to have to take what is available at the time you are ready to buy.

The answer to your question is that quite probably the ecru was the most common of the 3 interior combinations, but I would doubt it went up to 40%. Generally black is not a favored color for convertible interiors because of the heat issue, but there are plenty of SCs out there with black interiors. I'm pretty sure I reall my dealer telling me a few years ago that the "saddle" interior is the least common of the three.

Keep looking.
Old 01-18-06, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
This is wrong: "on 02, the rear seat belts don't have the clip, so when top down there might be seat belt rattle. i think they added it in later yrs."

I have a first edition, (April '01) and there are clips to hold down the rear seat belts. They have little magnet clips, just like the clips that hold the front belt in place at the upper edge of the front seats. I have not noticed any recent change to this in recent years, although I have not usually looked very closely at the rear seat accessories.
damn i guess i need to get my notes straight. somehow i remember reading that in the beginning they didn't have the clip to hold down the seat belts and that caused rattle when the top is down. now i wonder where i read it.

and tony, so start from 02 it has the test for radio stations. but i wonder if it will display the text for cds?
Old 01-18-06, 12:34 PM
tfischer

My '02 ML audio will not display any data text when playing a CD, other than Disc #, Track # and elapsed time, of course.

I did not know that any standard audio CDs had embeded text for display, unless you are talking about an MP3 CD, which would display "Tag" information like an iPod. (But that's not really an audio CD; it's a data CD filled with MP3 files.)

The '02 will not play anything other than a standard audio CD, and it better not have a paper stick-on label, either. (I just got one of those "LightScribe" CD burners -- a great compromise between stick on labels and the magic marker solution -- but that's for another time.)

I have no idea what changes were made to the audio system between the '02 model and now. An MP3 input for your iPod would be nice, but I don't think the SC has that yet.
Old 01-18-06, 07:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually I play burned cd's on my 02 all of the time. Never an issue. Using a Plextor PX-716A and PX-712A.

Also I noticed that the 06 6 speeds have an upshift and downshift function for the shifter.
Old 01-18-06, 08:36 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i think it's 03+

05 they changed the springs and shocks
06 they changed it yet again (possibly from a member's review)

for 06, the grill changed, so is the front bumper. and the new headlights have different lines, from GEE-BEE it seems like the new and old bumpers are not interchangeable, the hood might be different too

06 has new shift plate design and also new different dash as well

and of course 06 now they have new wheel design, all alloy, no more covers

starting 05 they have new nav like gene said, new generation (different software) with bluetooth and voice recognition

if i am right, the older 02 sc430, there is no text feature on audio, but later yrs have it, not sure about the yr cut off

on 02, the rear seat belts don't have the clip, so when top down there might be seat belt rattle. i think they added it in later yrs.
06- fog lights

I havent noticed any text on my 06 display when listening to the radio or playing cds. I guess I have to push something?

Quick Reply: Whats the difference between 02-current sc's?