SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run flat options

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dlrshort
My partner know someone who has a BMW roadster convertible with runflats. He wanted to replace them with standard tires and was told by the dealer that as long as he was leasing the car he had to purchase new runflats. Does that make sense?
if you ask me, as long as when he returns the vehicles, the run flats are back on the car and there is no damage to the sensors, it should be fine
Old 02-08-06, 03:26 AM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, make sure you check before accepting it
Old 04-04-06, 01:57 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
The test drive in a new model will not be a valid comparison.

Between 2002 and 2005 Lexus not only changed the standard tire, they changed the bushings (which can be retrofitted to the older models) but more importantly they changed major aspects of the suspension itself. There is no retrofit for these changes. So the main reason the new models with runflats ride a little better than the older models with runflats is because of the different suspension, not because of the different tires.

The problem with the runflat ride is that the runflat has a very stiff sidewall, stiff enough to support the car for 50 miles with no air. Thus, no runflat is ever going to give as soft a ride as a standard tire with a more flexible sidewall. As observed above, that kind of runflat does not exist.

The runflatness, however, does not mean that your flat tire worries are over. If you do have a flat, you have a limited number of miles at low speed to get to a place that can take the tire off, pull a replacement off the shelf and mount it properly. (Replacement is the only option; they cannot be "patched.") Those places are few and far between.

Maybe I'll just buy a Malibu.
yea u should go for a spare tire kit...
these stock runflats are pretty much special order everywhere...by the time you get a replacement, the runflats likely will have failed(if the sc is your only car/daily driver)

they do have them at the dealership if you can make it there within the range of the runflats(failed after 50 miles every time for me)... most of the time you'll need an appointment... and even then youll get raped...

last time I was there cost me $375+tax+installation (+ $125+ for the sensor that was damaged when the runflats gave up & I had to get towed)

imagine if you were in a area without any lexus dealers in range and you got a flat...(say you took a road trip or something)... you'd be pretty screwed...
Old 04-04-06, 06:17 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

My thinking is that since I will probably have to get towed if I have a flat with the runflats (my dealer says only once in 4 years has he had customer limp in with a punctured runflat), I'm going to have the conventional Michelins put on the car and run with no spare.

It's a hastle any way I look at it, but flats are pretty rare. I save around $500 just by not replacing the runflats with new runflats, and that's 10 years of AAA membership which gets me fixed on the spot or at least towed to any shop that can repair or replace a conventional tire. (Almost nobody messes with runflats.)

Even if I have a flat out of town (which happens to me once every 15 or 20 years), I'll deal with it and it's easier to deal with if the car has regular tires than if it has runflats.

Plus the ride and handling are improved, and the tires themselves are less expensive.

Roll those dice, fellas, baby needs a new pair of shoes!