SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run flat options

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 02:53 PM
kleef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flat options

I have a 2003 SC430 with Bridgestone Potenza RFT that need replacing. If I stay with RFT, does anybody have a good recommendation besides the Potenzas? Where do the Potenzas fit in as far as ride quality, etc. I know that RFT are harder on bumps and all. Also, due to the pressure sensors, do the tires have to be replaced at a Lexus dealership?
Old 02-02-06, 03:59 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a 2002 with the original runflats that need to be replaced, and my Lexus service manager is very, very strongly suggesting that I don't replace with runflats, but go with the standard Michelin Pilot Sport, which is a replacement tire much discussed (in glowing terms) in this forum.

I have not made a decision yet, because the idea of not having a spare is strange to me, despite the fact that I have had maybe one sudden flat tire in 25 years. (Slow leaks will light up the light on the dash for early treatment.) His 3 main points are these:

1 -- If you have a flat with the run flat, you can limp around for about 50 miles, but if you are out of town and on the road, it is hard to find someone (like a Lexus dealer) who can take the runflat off and replace it with another. For the most part, they can't be patched -- they must be replaced. A long tow is probably going to be required.

If you have a flat with the standard tire and no spare, you will have a short tow to any service station to quickly fix a standard tire. (Or you could buy a spare to take with you when you wanted it -- he has one customer who has done this, but most don't.)

2 -- A set of standard tires is about $300 less expensive than the run flats, which will pay for a lot of tows and a motel room if necessary. (You can join one of those AAA deals if you want to pay for towing in advance.) I note that the dealership is trying to talk me into a smaller purchase, which adds credibility.

3 -- The ride on the standard tires is much, much better. This is his main point. He tells me that all his customers who have made this change are thrilled about the new ride and the better handling, also. The car corners much better and rides much better.

I think I'm going to take my chances and go with the standard tires and no spare. Life is too short not to live it up a little.

Who's with me?
Old 02-02-06, 04:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Sounds good to me...but what do I know?
Old 02-02-06, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i really don't know much about runflats myself, more like i don't care coz' i just don't see myself spending more money on a harsher ride that's not going to last too long anyway.
Old 02-02-06, 05:16 PM
kleef
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have a 2002 with the original runflats that need to be replaced, and my Lexus service manager is very, very strongly suggesting that I don't replace with runflats, but go with the standard Michelin Pilot Sport, which is a replacement tire much discussed (in glowing terms) in this forum.

I have not made a decision yet, because the idea of not having a spare is strange to me, despite the fact that I have had maybe one sudden flat tire in 25 years. (Slow leaks will light up the light on the dash for early treatment.) His 3 main points are these:

1 -- If you have a flat with the run flat, you can limp around for about 50 miles, but if you are out of town and on the road, it is hard to find someone (like a Lexus dealer) who can take the runflat off and replace it with another. For the most part, they can't be patched -- they must be replaced. A long tow is probably going to be required.

If you have a flat with the standard tire and no spare, you will have a short tow to any service station to quickly fix a standard tire. (Or you could buy a spare to take with you when you wanted it -- he has one customer who has done this, but most don't.)

2 -- A set of standard tires is about $300 less expensive than the run flats, which will pay for a lot of tows and a motel room if necessary. (You can join one of those AAA deals if you want to pay for towing in advance.) I note that the dealership is trying to talk me into a smaller purchase, which adds credibility.

3 -- The ride on the standard tires is much, much better. This is his main point. He tells me that all his customers who have made this change are thrilled about the new ride and the better handling, also. The car corners much better and rides much better.

I think I'm going to take my chances and go with the standard tires and no spare. Life is too short not to live it up a little.

Who's with me?
Thanks for the information, I have been going back and forth trying to decide whether to get rid of the run flats. The ride is just so rough and harsh, and I can't help but think that with time, rattles etc might start because every little bump seems to be so jarring. I have seen a number of posts from people who have swapped out the run flats, but wonder if only the people who swap seem to post. I have also heard that most people keep the run flats. I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my last car and loved them BTW. On the SC430, it seems odd to not have a spare, but I'm not so willing to give up the space, limited as it is! Does anyone know of a runflat for this car that DOES provide a softer rider with good responsiveness? I am beginning to think that tire doesn't exist!
Old 02-02-06, 06:41 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

I have a 2002 and just replaced the Bridgestones with the Dunlop 5000 DSST. I find it a huge improvement in the twitchyness of the car and I find the Dunlops acceptable enough so I don't have to worry about a spare. Since the Dunlops are are the new SC430s I would recommend going for a test drive at the Lexus dealer and see if they are acceptable enough for you. If not then your decision is made (ie. non-flats) as there is not a lot of choice in RFT.
Old 02-02-06, 07:38 PM
tfischer

The test drive in a new model will not be a valid comparison.

Between 2002 and 2005 Lexus not only changed the standard tire, they changed the bushings (which can be retrofitted to the older models) but more importantly they changed major aspects of the suspension itself. There is no retrofit for these changes. So the main reason the new models with runflats ride a little better than the older models with runflats is because of the different suspension, not because of the different tires.

The problem with the runflat ride is that the runflat has a very stiff sidewall, stiff enough to support the car for 50 miles with no air. Thus, no runflat is ever going to give as soft a ride as a standard tire with a more flexible sidewall. As observed above, that kind of runflat does not exist.

The runflatness, however, does not mean that your flat tire worries are over. If you do have a flat, you have a limited number of miles at low speed to get to a place that can take the tire off, pull a replacement off the shelf and mount it properly. (Replacement is the only option; they cannot be "patched.") Those places are few and far between.

Maybe I'll just buy a Malibu.
Old 02-02-06, 07:53 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

I have an 06 with the new run flats and I swapped them for much wider Michelin PS2's. Even with the extra width of about 30ml in the back the michelin's are alot smoother than the run flats
Old 02-02-06, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

excellent point there, tfischer. over the yrs the springs and shocks got changed so it's very different
Old 02-03-06, 06:50 AM
kleef
Rookie

If you go with non run flats, can you have them installed at places other than Lexus, such as Discount Tire or ???.
Old 02-03-06, 06:55 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kleef
If you go with non run flats, can you have them installed at places other than Lexus, such as Discount Tire or ???.
Yes you can, I got mine installed at a tire/wheel shop, you just have to find a reputable one that knows what they're doing.
Old 02-03-06, 07:02 AM
tfischer

I don't know.

First of all, I've never thought about taking my Lexus to a place whose first name is "Discount."

Secondly, my understanding is that taking a runflat off and putting it back on is a tricky task which requires special equipment and some experience. (I might be wrong about that.) Whether these tire stores are qualified to do that or not I don't know. Probably some are and some are not. Also, the task involves dealing with the tire pressure sensors, which are becoming more common, but are still somewhat unusual. I don't know much about them, except that my Service Manager mentioned, I think, that they are in the valve stems. I think I recall reading here that they are tricky to deal with, but that may be old info from when TPS were new technology.

I think that once you have non-runflats on the car, any old tire place can repair or replace it. I think that was one of the advantages of having non-runflats. I'll ask the dealer about that specific issue the next chance I get.

Good question -- let's see if you have stumped the panel.
Old 02-03-06, 08:42 AM
kleef
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't know.

First of all, I've never thought about taking my Lexus to a place whose first name is "Discount."

Secondly, my understanding is that taking a runflat off and putting it back on is a tricky task which requires special equipment and some experience. (I might be wrong about that.) Whether these tire stores are qualified to do that or not I don't know. Probably some are and some are not. Also, the task involves dealing with the tire pressure sensors, which are becoming more common, but are still somewhat unusual. I don't know much about them, except that my Service Manager mentioned, I think, that they are in the valve stems. I think I recall reading here that they are tricky to deal with, but that may be old info from when TPS were new technology.

I think that once you have non-runflats on the car, any old tire place can repair or replace it. I think that was one of the advantages of having non-runflats. I'll ask the dealer about that specific issue the next chance I get.

Good question -- let's see if you have stumped the panel.
You are making me laugh because after i wrote about "Discount Tire" i had that same thought...Lexus and Discount do not go together! But that's a chain store located at least here in SoCal, and it's really not so "discount." Just a regular tire store. I have so been waffling about whether to stick with the runflats (which i am sure i hate), and going with maybe the Michelin Pilots. But, I'll need to make up my mind fairly quickly, because the run flats are about shot and I'll be replacing them in the next month or so. After I replace, I'll post back and let you guys know what I find.
Old 02-03-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kleef
you can get it done everywhere, as long as it's a good shop and knows how to deal with runflat, which is indeed hard to install and take off.

and for the record, for all i care lexus dealerships don't mean they know more than other shops out there do. i wouldn't just trust a dealership to put on or take off my tires just coz' they are "lexus dealership". i have seen some dealership work, their level of care isn't really what some would expect.
Old 02-03-06, 09:29 AM
ycp
Driver School Candidate

For those with Costco membership. They have $60 off for 4tires on Michelin and BFGoodrich tires. You can get Michelin Pilot Sport for $251.00 each less $60 for 4 tires. Price includes mounting and installation. I talk to my local Costco and they can do runflat with sensors.

Quick Reply: Run flat options