SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Sound Of Success! Sub Upgrade Complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 05:22 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Sound Of Success! Sub Upgrade Complete

So after I failed miserbly at my first attempt installing my new sub I have finished the install and am loving it.

I bought a 4guage wire kit from walmart, it was only $25 bucks. I was going to get an 8 guage but the 8 guage was $17 I figured whats an extra $8 Basically I just paid $25 for some 4guage power wire LOL

Last week I went out and bought a new amp because #1 my old fosgate amp that I was going to put in didnt work. Second my backup amp a fosgate punch 800a2 was too big to fit. So I look online for an amp I really didnt feel like ordering one off ebay or something so I just went to the local stores websites. I see a cheap $99 Pioneer 720 watt amp that looks good but its sold out online. I take a chance and go to my nearby bestbuy, I see the amp on the wall but the guy tells me they are sold out , I tell them to give me the one on the wall. Bam I get a 720 watt max pioneer amp for $85 plus tax since it was a used item. The amp is huge I really wanted a smaller amp but all the other ones that were cheap were too tall, since I was installing the amp under my driver side seat. The amp measures about 13" by 11.5" . I figure no one can sit behind me so I installed the amp under my seat and it sticks out pretty far since I turned it verticly so I could reach the gain settings without taking anything out.

So after my fiasco last week trying to use the stock line inputs I said screw it and I bought a low line coverter from my local circuit city for $20 they sell better ones on ebay for $10. Order if you can, I dont like waiting.

Along with the low line converter I refused to use the cheap *** RCA's that came with my $25
wire kit, so I bought some $10 Rockford fosgate ones that looked pretty good.

Items needed for install

1. 8" Image Dynamics V3 Sub dual 4 ohm voice coil
2. Some Amp Pushing around 150-300 watts
3. A power wire kit (got mine from walmart 4guage kit for $25)
4. A Low Line Converter w/ gain preferably
5. A good set of RCA's
6. Alot of time to install

I must admit it sounds about 3 times better. Before I had to put my bass at +4, because I like listening to music with alot of bass, now I have set my **** at 0 and my mids at +3 and treb at +4. Bass sounds alot cleaner/louder. You can feel it now, unlike before. There are a bunch more pictures of the subs and stuff in the gallery and the one part I needed to take out. I think this new sub will satisfy my bass craving for atleast a few weeks. Until then I am just enjoying it. Since the amp is so big and I am only utilizing about half its power I figure I could add another 8" sub in the back and that would prob give me all the bass I need. I'll think about that later

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 02-11-06 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 06:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

No pun intended, but it sounds good. I'm glad to see that you were successful in your Bass Project. I'm sure that new Barry Manilow greatest hits CD is hitting much louder now. by the way my whats up with ur PM??
Old 02-11-06, 07:00 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

PM's got turned off, long story but if you need to ask me something just email me at tonydt1g3r@aol.com.

After some fine tuning after I kept maxing out the sub, the amp has the bass boost set to the lowest setting as well as gain set to the lowest setting. and I can listen to the radio at 0 bass. when I listen to cd's I turn it down to around -2 bass. I might have to open it back up and turn down the gain I am getting from the low line converter I think I left it set to max which wasnt too smart
Old 02-11-06, 09:30 PM
aspguru
Driver

Man that is so very sweet! great jon on that mod!

I will definately take that project on soon.

you mentioned that you could put a second sub in there too, can you elaborate on where/how you could do this?

thanks
Old 02-14-06, 12:55 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job Tony! Nice write up
Old 02-15-06, 06:56 AM
Arraco
Driver School Candidate

Default When you say - "half it's power"....

...are you only using one of the channels? I think (not sure but Pioneer can tell you) that you can bridge that particular amp and maximize it's output.
Old 02-15-06, 07:40 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I tried using it bridged and it was maxing out the sub, so I took it back down to one channel. I am going to take the amp out this week and return because I dont like it.

#1 its too big
#2 it doesnt have a remote bass controller
#3 there is no cross over built in

I am a stickler when it comes to my bass, I want it tailored to the way I like music. I dont have full control right now with this amp and I am going to swap it out with something smaller and more control. I just went and got this amp on impulse just because I wanted to hear the new sub bass, now that I have heard it I want to find tune it. I'll probally get a new JL or Xtant amp I will keep you guys updated. Also I prefer a 2 channel amp because I am most likely going to add another 8" sub down the road.
Old 02-15-06, 08:17 AM
Arraco
Driver School Candidate

Default An idea is to drop something like a Kenwwood...

4042A in the middle of the circuit and locate it in the armrest pocket. Just use the sub controlled side as it will allow you to control cross over point and output (you can add on to it as well). I did this with my LX and am really happy with the way I can control my sound. Your article has inspired me to look at my SC and see what I can do. I wonder if the current sub opening can be routed out to accept a 10? Did you look and see how much clearance you have around the actual opening?
Old 02-15-06, 09:13 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Arraco
4042A in the middle of the circuit and locate it in the armrest pocket. Just use the sub controlled side as it will allow you to control cross over point and output (you can add on to it as well). I did this with my LX and am really happy with the way I can control my sound. Your article has inspired me to look at my SC and see what I can do. I wonder if the current sub opening can be routed out to accept a 10? Did you look and see how much clearance you have around the actual opening?

I really dont think a 10" sub would fit without a tremendous amount of work. #1 as it is now the botton magnet of the sub is less than half a centimeter away from the metal bar on the bottom on the sub. If you move it up your probally going to run into the top of the trunk area where the top folds down.

A better idea is just getting 2 or 3 8" subs. I found that an 8" sub would fit nicly in the trunk on one of those side cubby holes. I think a little fiberglass box wouldnt be too hard to make for each one of those spots.
Old 02-16-06, 06:20 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I went and swapped out amps last night with this really big Rockford fosgate 800a2 amp I had laying around. It happens to have a crossover and bass controller which I think is a neccessity.

The sub is pretty big and can handle alot of watts. Under normal circumstances this would be great but since its running free air then your going to have to fine tune the sub somewhat.

Prior to putting in my fosgate amp I had a generic pioneer amp I bought from best buy on a whim. It didnt have either a bass controller or a cross over.

On my current amp I have set it to Low Pass, as well as set my frequency to around 65-75hz and also have my bass controller nearby. When I listen to music burned on a CD often times the volume levels and the bass is different and thats where the bass controller comes in handy. If the bass is set too high all your going to hear from the sub is alot of rumbling not hard clean hitting bass.

The same is true if you dont have a low pass and a crossover to set the frequency. Prior to this the inputs I was getting from the stock sub wires were too large of a range. Meaning that my subwoofer was bassing on sounds that it shouldnt have. With the crossover I was able to adjust the sound alot more to my preference.

Right now it sounds pretty well, I might think of adding something in the trunk to keep that cover from moving around so much. There is alot of excursion and its causing that trunk line thing that goes under where the top comes down to vibrate alot. I think there is a couple inches of room there where I could possible put a layer of MDF and bolt it down maybe. Not sure what the plan is yet.
Old 03-14-06, 11:30 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Default OK finally got the right combo

Ok guys after alot of trial and error I have found the right amp guys. Its a JL e1200. It puts out 275 watts at 2 ohm, has a cross over and a bass controller. The bass controller cost an extra $40 but your gonna need it. Also you need a JL bass controller, I tried using my rockford fosgate bass controller and it didnt work. This amp is just the right fit under the seat, however your going to have to screw it down into the car. If you dont your seat is gonna scratch the amp all up. I would not reccomend an amp larger than this for under the seat or else you wont be able to bolt it down. I had 2 other amps that were too large. Also I talked to the people at image dynamics and the cross over should be set to around 90 hz for the free air setup. The sub sounds great and I am pretty happy with this setup right now.

So for a recap on materials you need

JL e1200 amp
8" Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v3 sub
Low Line Converter
Wire Kit

Might go sealed setup later on I'll let you guys know.

Old 03-14-06, 07:33 PM
aspguru
Driver

can you post how much $ you have invested in this project?
Old 03-14-06, 08:00 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

I see you're focused Tony!
Old 03-14-06, 09:31 PM
clubaddict
Driver

is it that much better than stock?
you have it as a direct replacement where the stock sub was right?
any issues with tonal balance throughout the system or noise?
... i thought the mark levinson system was supposed to be audiophile grade...thats why i never messed with it..
Old 03-14-06, 10:18 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Tony,

Help me do mine

I want a good bass on my car just like you.

Quick Reply: The Sound Of Success! Sub Upgrade Complete