SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does anyone know how to program the keys? I'm about to give up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06 | 01:20 PM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Does anyone know how to program the keys? I'm about to give up.

I've tride most all techniques that I've read .
Patient 02 SC430.
Tried -
master in, gas 5 times, then brake six times;
insert new master, gas once.
lsecurity light is supposed to go out after about 60 seconds, but never does.

Then I tried-
gas and brake together once,
insert master, and all the above.....

I've paid attention to the seconds alloted, and tried little derivatives of the above to see if that would work. No luck.
What the heck am I missing or doing wrong as these seem like the accepted practice?
I'm just trying to get by the imobilizer, and not even to the remote adds.......

I have one working master and would like to program the new master and new valet key.
They fit, and turn the engine, but will not start because of the imobilizer programming.

I know someone has the right stuff to help me out.
Premptive thanks.......

Last edited by jjbravo; 02-26-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-27-06 | 10:23 AM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Searched, tried everything...I don't think you can do it

without the scanner.
Keys on, off, both pedals,. The pedal dance doesn't work, that must be why no one is chiming in.
-J
Old 02-27-06 | 10:59 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

tried to find it in the factory manual. Either it is buried well as many things are or it is not listed. Glad you found it.
Lee
Old 02-27-06 | 11:13 AM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Lee for looking, but I may have to go to the dealer

and fork over tthe $160 to program the 2 keys.
Note to all, plan on $330 per key if you lose one.....
I just can't believe that no-one here has done their own programming, and that there are so many different renderings of the supposed technique (some say key on, some say off, some say start car, remove key, some have you even playing with the door for the immobilizer, some say gas and brake together at the start, and the factory manual doesn't)......
I don't get it. I'm just hoping to sturmble on the one person who has done the pedal dance sucessfully on an 02 SC430 and how he/she idd it. I want to think it can be done.
-Jeff
Old 02-27-06 | 11:30 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Found this, may be worth a try. I checked the manual again. Nothing. Not even for replacing the ignition switch itself. Sometimes the manual is great. Other times

Instructions for programming a transponder key.

Programming spare keys: for 1998 to 2002
1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5. Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

FOR 2002+-Perhaps this one. I have not tried it so use it at your risk.

1.Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2.Insert master key into the ignition cylinder.
3.Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF 5 times.
4.Open and close the driver side door 6 times.
5.Remove the master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6.DO NOT TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON
7.The new key will be registered after 60 seconds.The THEFT light on the
dashboard will go out,indicating that programming has been completed.
"some 2002 will work using the 1998+ programming."
Old 02-27-06 | 11:43 AM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default I've only tried the 1st procedure, and variants of it.

Tonight I'll give the 02+ a whirl. I think this (proc 2) was listed in Alldata, but I didn't try it. Some "master mechanic" said that it was incomplete too for the sc430.
-J
Old 02-27-06 | 12:39 PM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Ran home to try it....No Luck

The one master still works, but the security light never goes out to indicate programming complete.
The Toyota dealer is soooo much closer. Should they be able to program the key transponder. Is the scanner and the software the same?
-Jeff
Old 02-27-06 | 05:14 PM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Locksmith site

http://kaba-ilco.com/key_systems/pdf...1-E-603%5D.pdf
This lends truth that the ign on off 5 times and door swing 6 times is the way to go......
Makes me think no one else has done it here.

Tried the erase all but one too.
But it still doesn't work.
At least I still have the 1 master.
Old 02-27-06 | 06:41 PM
easyrider
Driver School Candidate

Default Been There Done That.....

Well, I am not supprised that you are having trouble with the programing. I purchased a SC2002 in Oct 05 with only one master key. I went to my trusty Lexus dealer to pruchase a new master key and found out they were almost $350.00. So I decided to purchase the valet key for $200 and in 2 days I had a new Lexus programed Valet key. But I still wanted a Master Key as a backup, so, after a while I found my way onto this site and decided I would save a few hundred $$ by purchasing an ebay master key getting it cut locally and programing it myself. Well, I posted many times looking for advise after I found that I could not get it programed. Seems that the guts of my ebay key was not the right guts for the SC430. So, my Lexus dealer switched the guts and programed the key for me at no charge but I don't think this will be the normal outcome to someone's similar problem. I read many times in treads that the program instruction works for someone, but after some additional probing I would find that it was not on an SC.

I wish you good luck, as I spent about 2 weeks going nuts trying to program my master key and finally gave up. Knowing what I know now, I would never try to cut corners again when it comes to keys.

I hope it all works out for you.

Easyrider - Columbus Ohio .....
Old 02-27-06 | 06:50 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Default programming keys for sc430

I'm afraid I was in much the same predicament as you described. I bought an uncut key from ebay which was "guaranteed to work with programming instructions". I had the key cut at a larger locksmith but none of the programming instructions as you have described worked. I too gave up after 2 weeks of frustration and lots of wasted time. I ended up chalking up about $300 for a new key and programming fee at the delaer. I recommend you give up the cause earlier than I did - frankly there is something slightly different about prgraming the sc430 (mine is a 2004) and the common instructions out there simply don't work. I think it's especially tricky the newer the car is. Good luck.
Old 02-27-06 | 09:50 PM
jjbravo
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Easyrider and Petergerst.....I'm done.

I thought someting was wrong with me, the car, the keys, the instructions.....
I bought the keys from the Lexus dealer, who scrambled hard to find any material to help me program them. They gave me the pedal dance instructions as they said that they were the only thing they had in print. They recommended the scan tool, but had never had an SC430 request.
There just aren't that many where I live in cental NY state. It's more like Wisconsin as most everybody has old rusted pickup trucks. Only the students from downstate bring in the nicer cars.
This SC2002 is a treat for me and I'm really enjoy the style and sophistication it affords..

We'll I've been a mechanic in my youth. Rode motorcycle trials, built AMA superbikes in the 80's,. turbocharged literbikes for the street, V8 swaps into Vegas, Rangers, Civics (now that was cool), have had some tough mechanical problems to solve, but nothing makes you feel as helpless as not being able to do what others say you can or should be able to such as this key programming.

Well getting old now. Used to be I'd have to program the VCR and remote for my parents....now my kids have to do it for me .

-Jeff
Old 02-28-06 | 11:06 AM
DChuka
Driver

Check out this website: https://www.lexuskeys.info/products.php?cat=8

I can't vouche for the content, but it certainly sounds like they know what they're talking about! Check out the "help files" as it appears they will let you know if you can program your key.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-02-09 | 01:21 AM
harry138
Driver School Candidate

Before you proceed with the gas and brake thingy you have to make sure that the orignal key that you are using is programed as a master key wether it is the valet key (grey key) or the key with the button's.

Insert the original key into the ignition without turning it. If the security light goes out immediately then it is programed as a master key and you may proceed but you have to be patient. If the light goes out after a couple of seconds then it is programed valet key theres no way youre gonna program the spare keys unless you get one of those locksmith that programs keys by removing the computer of the car and programing with his own computer.
Old 03-02-09 | 03:05 AM
CBG
Pole Position

When I bought my car a few months ago one of the keys didn't work for the car and my Lexus dealer wanted $35 to reprogram all the keys to my car. I squawked saying the key didn't work when I bought the car and they reprogrammed all my keys for $0.
Old 03-02-09 | 05:07 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I have a 2005 and wanted a third master key. I bought one on ebay $ 140.00 I gave the vendor my VIN he had the key cut for me. Came with the door and igniton turning instructions. I started the programing sequence. First time did not work. Then tryed again I realized the instruction to open and close door etc I believe on the last open you were supposed to leave the door open. I have the instructions I used in my office I will post them on Tuesday when I go to work.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to program the keys? I'm about to give up.