SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake Rotor Resurfacing,.Vibration during braking on Steering wheel, pulsation....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 05:05 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor Resurfacing,.Vibration during braking on Steering wheel, pulsation....

there is also a little Pulsation on the brake pedal when i'm braking suddenly from 55mph to 0mph. my Sc430 has 22,000 miles on it and the brake pads and rotors have never been touched.

How much will Lexus charge me to Resurface my rotors and change my brake pads?
I probably wont go to the dealer for this service.....(am looking up thread on this subject now)

also, I wanted to know, since our car comes with the Tire Pressure Sensor, will the auto shop
ie....Sears, Firestone....etc..... know what to do with the TPS when they change the whole braking system (system meaning Resurfacing Rotors and changing Brake pads).....

or are the TPS completely out of the way when doing this procedure?

I will goto a national chain shop (tires/braks/batteries....ie....Sears, Firestone....etc....)
because searching on this thread, the dealer cost is almost $1000.00 compared to paying
no more than $450.00 at these national chaing stores.......

please help........

Last edited by rclab1; 03-05-06 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 07:59 PM
s2000
Driver School Candidate

any autoshop can work on your brakes.
Old 03-05-06, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

maybe you can check with dealership and see why you get warpped rotors so soon already, that's not normal for a car with 22k miles. maybe they will warranty it
Old 03-06-06, 03:06 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Though it is not normally a warranty item, rotors and pads can be replaced by good will or if a defect is found in the braking system such as caliper, booster, etc...

At this time it is best to surface if you prefer ( I prefer new rotors as surfacing always takes away meat) and get some better aftermarket pads such as Hawk HPS and others. May I ask what your driving style is? Riding the brakes? Repeated hard stop?
All of which makes a difference.

Brakes on this car are very straight forward and similar to any other car-at least on the wheel end so most shops should be able to get the job done properly. Does not of course mean they WILL do it properly. I stay away from Firestone myself.

TPS is not touched for a brake job so no worries there.
Lee
Old 03-06-06, 03:02 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

thanks a lot for the replies everyone.......
I will take it to a national chain store, the only reason i was hesitant is b/c I figure the TPS would be touched and my dash light would go on (TPS light).

I can't imagine my dealer (in goodWill) replacing my rotors.....there is no way.....

I'd rather pay 400 dollars now rather than the dealership charge me close to $1000.00

Concerning the Hawk HPS pads.....those squeek like crazy.....i had those on my other cars....after driving normally, it started squeeking soooo much at 10K miles.....
Old 03-06-06, 03:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Well for one, many here have had their rotors replaces or surfaced under goodwill from the dealer. On the other side many also have not. But you never know until you try.

Also Hawk HPS pads do not squeak by nature. Not sure what you had them on but they are known to be very very quiet brake pads. I have them on 2 vehicles for a total of 5 sets and never a squeak and I guarantee I drive harder than you do. Also keep mind that 80% of squeaking in braking systems in NOT the brake pads. it is the hardware rubbing from harmonics or vibration under braking that causes the noise which is why it is important to clean all hardware components if within spec as well as use the appropriate lube. Most DIY folks just slap on the pads and call it a brake job. Then they get squeaking and blame the pads. Very common issue in the parts business and I promise you that a vast majority of parts people out there are not even aware of this.

The problem with using chain stores other than the fact that the work is more of a lottery is that generally they will only warranty their own brake pads which they have purchased and guess where they buy them? Kragen auto (Raybestos-POOR), Autozone (same), Pep Boys, Napa, Lexus, etc... In other words they sell you the same pads for up to three times what that store you just passed up to get to the chain store does. I know, I sold the parts to all of the chain stores for many years including every chain repair shop you can think of past and current.
I am not saying that chain shops are bad, just that as long as your expectaions are not high, you will not be dissapointed. I have also seen very good work from a few shops so all is not bad and this also applies to all shops, not just picking on the chains. One of the positive points of using a chain is that normally you can file a complaint with someone other than a grumpy manager. Such as corporate office ,etc...

Ask the shop what brand brakes they are using which is very important as these cars as most Asian cars use carbon and there are many inferior brakes out there and sometimes the ,"BEST" brakes from the shop is dependant on what is available on the shelf at the parts house at the time the pads are ordered.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-06-06 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 06:04 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default To PearlPower.....

thanks for the heads up on the National Chain Stores.....
tomorrow, I will get a quote from them, I will ask them what brand brake Pads they are going to Use on my SC430. I will tell you at the end of the week which ones......

What OEM brand does Lexus use, (currently in my car)....I know they are Lexus Brand (toyota)
but what are very similar brake pads out there at Nappa, autoZone....etc.....

I use my car as a dialy driver, I'm never really a agressive driver....
but I do admitt, sometimes, I do ride on the brakes......

I will post more when i get the info from the National chain.....

This board is great with your knowledge.....much appreciated.....
Old 03-06-06, 06:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

You'r very welcome.

I know that Raybestos makes some brakes for Honda cars which are the same as their QS pads which are very quiet though distance is compromised a little. Akenbono makes pads for many other makes including Lexus/Toyota. Not sure what the ratio is but Akebono is well respected in the industry for a good OEM pad and Daimler/Chrysler now uses them as well. You'r local Kragen carries this brand in limited form but can order others. Autozone and peps do not. Advance can get them as well. NAPA carbon are decent as well. None of these are considered performance though.

Stay away from anything semi-metallic as they are noise makers and kill rotors. Generic pads are too soft and will burn up easily so carbon is the way to go.

Let us know what brand they are pushing and I will try to give some feedback on them. I don't know them all ,but most of them.
Lee
Old 03-06-06, 06:36 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default thank you

PearlPower.....soo much thanks from me.......
Old 03-06-06, 06:43 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You'r very welcome.

I know that Raybestos makes some brakes for Honda cars which are the same as their QS pads which are very quiet though distance is compromised a little. Akenbono makes pads for many other makes including Lexus/Toyota. Not sure what the ratio is but Akebono is well respected in the industry for a good OEM pad and Daimler/Chrysler now uses them as well. You'r local Kragen carries this brand in limited form but can order others. Autozone and peps do not. Advance can get them as well. NAPA carbon are decent as well. None of these are considered performance though.

Stay away from anything semi-metallic as they are noise makers and kill rotors. Generic pads are too soft and will burn up easily so carbon is the way to go.

Let us know what brand they are pushing and I will try to give some feedback on them. I don't know them all ,but most of them.
Lee
Ummm, yeah what he said...

Just FYI on the tire sensors, they are actually an assembly attached to the other side of the valve stem. They are attached on the inside of the wheel, and held in with the threaded nut on the valve stem itself - basically a whole assembly that installs from the back side. So there is nothing that can really be fooled with or damaged, and the light would only come on if you drove the car without the tires on it because the receiver would be out of range of the transmitter at that point (There are four on the car, one at each wheelwell). But then again driving without your tires would be a pretty good trick, I'd love to see that one.

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 03-06-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 06:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Todd, where have you been man? Good to see you posting. BTW I am close to that TC once my other projects are done.
Lee
Old 03-06-06, 07:16 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, had a horriffic cold/cough for like 2 months, would almost go away, and then come back with a vengeance. The last wave was a week and a half ago, seems like it's pretty much on the way out finally (fingers crossed!). This hot/cold weather and the rain is no help either.

Let me know if you need anything!

(On your brakes, make sure not to go too aggressive on the pistons up front, the SC chassis doesn't like a lot of front brake bias)
Old 03-07-06, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
Yes, had a horriffic cold/cough for like 2 months, would almost go away, and then come back with a vengeance. The last wave was a week and a half ago, seems like it's pretty much on the way out finally (fingers crossed!). This hot/cold weather and the rain is no help either.

Let me know if you need anything!

(On your brakes, make sure not to go too aggressive on the pistons up front, the SC chassis doesn't like a lot of front brake bias)
lee, listen to that tips i am first hand experience

todd, what's up!!!!!!