SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fog Light Install? Can a non DIY actually do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 06:51 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Light Install? Can a non DIY actually do it?

One of my fogs are out and figured why not replace them both with some clean HID like bulbs. Well I picked up a pair this past weekend H3s or H4s i gotta look at the box again and would now like to install them as my first mod. Well kinda, I just bought Griffins Ipod Smartcassette last week. Anyway can I get to the fogs easily? Do I just turn the wheels all the way and get behind the front end?? Pls help me SC owners/enthusiats.
Old 03-06-06, 07:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh boy.

Those are a *&^*&#^Q*($&#(*Q(*^@#*&^Q(*#&%$(*&#^*%(&(*Q@#&^&*$#%*(&# to change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An employee about to be terminated from Lexus must have made that design out of spite. Lexus turned a 5 minute procedure into a 45 minute frustrating job. I would rather change the brakes than change one fog light bulb. OK., now that I turned you completely off from pursuing this:

The problem is that those bulbs should not be touched with your skin as oil can transfer over creating hot spots and premature failure. The challenge is installing these without touching the glass portion which is why I use latex gloves which I highly recommend as once you change them , you will not want to change them again anytime shortly. Trust me on this one.

These are not easy to replace and you are almost working blindly underneath your car and playing with that little clip.

Henry has done this as well as I'm sure he will chime in. I went through the bottom of the car to change mine out. Really is no easy method I am sorry to say but with patience I am sure you can do it. Not hard to do, just a pain.

When I put on my new front bumper (rock chips on old one) i plan on putting in some reall nice PIAA's or something. They will be easy to get to then.

Unless Henry and Mark get those sweet HID foglights going. Hint Hint.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-06-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 07:28 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default I will use the Latex

Thanx Lee, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm a small framed guy with long arms and I'm pretty flexible/agile (if that even helps) I'll give it a shot. Hell I spent enough time under my old Range Rover over the past few years so what the hell. Thanx for the Latex tip it's always safe to wear rubbers. I forget about our oily fingers on hot bulbs. I will be careful. I guess a flashlight will help also.
Old 03-07-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

latex is almost a must. i haven't done mine yet (well, maybe i will do it when i get real sc430 hid fogs from japan, haha), but it's definitely a pain. i heard it's a bit better if you take off your wheel and go through the wheel well.

either way, like lee said, pray that the bulbs don't burn out
Old 03-07-06, 07:00 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default OEM fog Ligh bulb, what type .....H3 or H4

just curious, just wanted to know, what kind bulb is in the fog light housing?

H4 or H3

i may want to replace my fog bulbs to those bluish/purplish bulbs.........
Old 03-07-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

might want to check the user manual, i believe it's in there (i dn't have it with me)
Old 03-07-06, 09:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

H3

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm
Old 03-07-06, 08:36 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Yup H3 and I can't wait to get down and dirty this weekend . It's supposed to gorgeous this weekend in NY (finally)I hope I can actually do this without bumper removal or lift. I'll just get some cardboard and a decent flashlight. and gloves ofcourse!!
Old 03-13-06, 08:21 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Angry Well I tried........

Okay well I tried installing my new fog bulbs but failed to find the actual bulbs. I turned the wheel all the way and felt around. A ll I felt was this small square like opening but it could not have been the fogs. It was too small to put my hand in there. I don't know the name of that hardplasric/rubber thing in the wheel wells (it escapes me at this hour) but they obviously screw off. As I''ve done that in the past with other cars. Thats not something I really want to do on my new SC. Please tell me that there is an easier way without having to put this car on a lift or removing the wheel.
Old 03-13-06, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well then i am telling you, it's VERY HARD, and i am serious
Old 03-14-06, 05:57 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might want to save yourself the headache and pop off the front end. Just take off the stuff from the top and leave the bottom clips in and let it hang out
Old 03-14-06, 07:57 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Angry Effff Dat

I can't be bothered. I called the dealer that I bought the car from and he said he'd have one of the guys install them. Hopefully I'll get it done thursday. You know I'll keep you guys posted. Thanx for all the tips though.
Old 03-14-06, 10:33 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are real f%^^**&^%*(()+_)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&*()_+

I tried changing those bulb about 7 time and was successful 4 time.

You also need a lots of luck too.

The easiest way to change those out is jack up the front a little, turn the steering wheel so you have access to the wheel well, take off the front wheel well or bend it so you can see the rear side of the fog light and change it from wheel well side.

That was the easiest for me.

I hope you have small hands.
Old 03-16-06, 06:52 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default I Did It!!!

Well I didn't actually do it. I went to the dealer and they put it in. Took forever to get to it but man I'm happy. BTW I finaly got a Digi Cam so. I'll start posting some pics. The weather has not been great lately but anyway.
Old 05-10-06, 05:13 PM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

it seems like cars are getting more and more difficult to change the bulbs nowadays.
On my G35 coupe...it got to the point where I had to take the bumper off and pull the headlights out to change the foglights.
On my M35x...I had to actually pull the damn intake box out to change the blinkers.
I want to change the city lights to hyper white too...I wonder how much of a pain that will be.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Install? Can a non DIY actually do it?