SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire Decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 03:56 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Question

I need some advice from those of you that have taken delivery on an SC430, since I've never ridden in one, nor do I have any experience with the run flats. My SC430 is still on order, with the run flats since it seemed to make sense at the time given the "challenged" trunk space situation, and I'm always game for using the latest technology and gizmos. As background, I've had my SC300 for 7 years (love it), and have a '99 RX300 that's a terrific "everyday" car as well. I have no need for a second set of winter tires living in the South.

I've been watching and reading everything on CL for several months now. At the suggestion in one of the other threads, I've been over to Edmunds Town Hall in my attempts at research, but frankly, find it too hard to follow the threads there and the quality of the responses just isn't up to what we have here. Guess I don't trust those opinions like the ones here. Anyway, a couple of questions.

1) Since I've ordered the run flats, I assume a spare tire (normal variety) does not come with the car -- meaning if I decide to switch from the run flats in the future, I have to buy the whole spare set up as well? Right or wrong?

2) I know there are a several parallel threads out here about the run flats, but let me ask the question a little differently -- If you had to do it all over again, would you buy the run flats option or not?

I'm a little concerned that the ride isn't going to be the quality I have known and loved for so long in both of my Lexi -- additionally, the comments about squeels around corners, rattles being resolved with normal tires, situations with needing to replace the run flats after rolling over potholes (don't know if they were "normal" in-town road hazard or those monsters that go to China), etc. I'm not going to race this new beauty, but do love to take corners at reasonable speeds and push it on the open road like most of us; it will drive me mad if there are rattles in the car that I can't get resolved; and I'd hate to go backwards in terms of the ride I've known and loved for all these years -- all because of these new run flats and trying to get a little extra trunk space back... The new technology sounds great, but *really*, is it worth it, and would you do it again, knowing what you know now after having owned your SC430?

Your thoughts are appreciated, since I'm really questioning my decision on this, and am considering changing the order (don't want to loose my position after all these months, but maybe they can swap the tires at the dealership -- I don't know and am almost afraid to ask until I convince myself one way or the other)... Thanks!
Old 08-25-01, 06:09 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trunk space is at a premium, so I opted for the run-flats. If I elect to change from them, I'll have to buy the spare at some rediculous price.

I don't find the ride all that bad, and the peace of mind is worth it. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the run flats again.
Old 08-26-01, 01:47 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks RodF -- that's the kind of opinion I was looking for. It helps me not question myself as much! Mahalo! (Hope they caught that guy in your bldg by now!)
Old 08-26-01, 08:44 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While I've had my SC430 for only 700 miles, I find the run-flats to be extremely jarring over bumps (I have not hit a pothole yet). I find myself clenching my teeth whenever I approach a slight bump that I can't avoid. I have this feeling that rattles will be developing because of this.

My dealer (Dorschel Lexus in Rochester, NY) told me that all three options; nav system, spoiler, and run-flats are no longer options, i.e., all cars are coming with all three options. A few early imports might have had one of more of the options "missing", however.

Personally, I don't like the spoiler either, but there's not much I can do about that. I'm afraid that taking it off (if possible) might screw up the paint job or something else.
Old 08-26-01, 09:26 AM
liners
Driver School Candidate

I had a 97 Corvette with factory Goodyear Eagle runflats. The ride was much better than older vettes just due to the newer suspension systems. My
new SC has run flats and compared to the Vette, this ride is substanially better. Keep the run flats. Should
you decide later to change, forget the spare and get AAA.

If you want a great ride, get a LS430.
Old 08-26-01, 12:41 PM
RodF
Pole Position

BertL - Nope, they still haven't caught him.

liners - I echo your statement. I had a 2000 Vette just prior to the SC 430, which had run flats. The ride was ok, but the SC 430 is much, much better. Almost too good, as coming from a Vette, I wanted to "feel the road".

I just had a passenger in my car that owns a GS 300, who commented that my ride seemed to be smoother than his.
Old 08-26-01, 08:39 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up "GIVE ME RUNFLATS, OR GIVE ME ..........................................."

From all that I can tell, we have to take the Car with the Run Flats for now, but so what? As soon as we take delivery, we have some options that can relieve our stress. If the ride is too harsh, log on to THE TIRE RACK, and let them set you up some Bridgestones or equal, that will run softer, quieter, and provide the level of traction that you want, on the Alloy Wheel of your Choice, that in your opinion, best enhances this car's unique Body Style.

My concern is that, since the car's outstanding (Dry Pavement) High Speed Performance( 0 - 60 = 5.9 seconds; 60 - 0 = 113'; Top End of 156 MPH), has been designed around this combination of particular Tire and Wheel, I'll be very careful to experience all of the compromises that it will require of me, before changing either of them on a whim.

My 2001 BMW 330 Convertible with the Sport Package let me know about all of the minor Road irregularities and Pave-Edge Strips, but on a winding freeway at speeds in excess of 125 mph, it all made sense to me. I drove this car back from the Oktoberfest last year in S. C., averaging close to 90 mph for more than eleven hours, and understood why they installed those Wheels / Tires on the Sport Package Option.

Frankly, I do plan on picking an additional set of Winter (Alloy) Wheels, and perhaps Dunlap Winter Sport II Tires for cross-country trips during the Snow Season, but I'm betting that these Run Flats coming in on the second Production Year of 430's, will ride much more comfortable than those on the BMW 330 Sport Package.

After all, Mr. Toyoda knows that the average age of a Lexus Owner doesn't want too harsh of a ride - he had them design an "Elegant Luxury" Car - not just your Father's "Sport Car".

Am I right, or wrong?

SOLO - 1

Old 08-26-01, 09:31 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Thumbs down

"Upgrading" from runflats to conventional tires is a $800 cost. Includes mini spare and cover. Seemed a little to steep for me. I also experienced a vette with run flats. Throwing them away and installing regular tires changed the car. New ZO6 has abandoned run flats.
I plan to drive run farts till they are worn and then upgrade to a quiet running, smoother high performance tire at that time.

Suspension on SC430 was NOT designed for run flats. It was designed for the standard Dunlops, All performance data for manufacturer specs was done on conventional tires, however flack from lack of trunk space has them making run flats essentially manditory, as you cannot get the car without them and their $400 upcharge.

Conventional tires run quieter, smoother, last longer, run cooler, corner better, cause less rattles, and are $400 cheaper for the consumer.

I think Lexus has done us a raw deal!~
Old 08-27-01, 09:45 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

When I mentioned that ".........Lexus has designed the Suspension around these R-F Tires...", I'm logically assuming that the Car's Design Engineers would not permit the car to be unsafe at the Performance Thresholds that were mentioned ( acceleration / braking times, top end, etc.), in the Ultra-Luxury, Technological Cutting-Edge Flag Ship of their entire fleet, so in that respect, these particular Wheels and Tires had to be compliant with their overall Design Criteria. They could have equipped the car with Conventional Tires, and Four Canisters of Tire Sealant, along with an Air Compressor like the Olds Mini-Van has, and still eliminated the Spare Tire for the needed room in the trunk.

My statements were based on the "assumption" theory of some simple logical Design / Function procedures that Lexus has demonstrated on the forward thinking with their other new models recently.

The other Leading contender for Performance Coupes and Convertibles, BMW's M5 / M3, have opted for No spare tires, and the commonality of both the M5 / M3 and SC 430 Design thinking is that the average Age, Income Level, and College Degreed Ownersof BMW and Lexus (early 50's, Mid-$70's, and 69%) should not have to be expected to be out along the Free Way after darrk and in any kind of inclement weather, changing his or her own Tires and Wheels.

Some see it as the wave of the future.

However, I respect the wise and experienced opinions of other SC 430 Owners, and would be interested to learn the real facts of the matter, as to what led Lexus to make the decision on shipping all current Production Models with the R-F Tires. My educated guess is that it was a combination of objectives, and the "compromise" of all of these objectives, including Performance, Road Noise, Ride Quality, Trunk Space, etc., was the decision to go with with them.

Not to worry though, if you drive 12,000 miles per year or more, you should be ready to relace these "bad boys" before the end of the second year of driving.

Besides, with the stiff compliancy of these 18" R-F Tires, they do a much better job of protecting those soft Alloy Wheels from Dents, whenever you encounter Pot Holes in the road. These Up-Scale Japenese Luxury Cars are pretty well thought out, in their Design, and Build Quality. Proof of that is the hard to argue fact that Toyota has remained in First Place in Sales for Imports, since who remembers when?

:eek: