SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My first Sideswipe!!! Right near my home.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 07:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My first Sideswipe!!! Right near my home.

So yeah, I'm sitting at a green light and I signal to jump out of my lane to get from behind a slow turning vehicle. Mind you I signal and look with a ton of precaution, in fact my top was down so I had clear line of vision. Anyway as soon as I come out the fool in a Minivan comes flying down the lane on my passenger side and my girl screams. I slam on the breaks and the dude just swerves out continues on. I finally catch up to him and air him out "verbally". I knew the guy was guilty cause he never yelled back nor did he even drop is window or look out at me. The fool had several passengers and never acknowledged what happened. He just sped up and turned at the next light.

Ofcourse I'm pissed cause I never took down his plates or took a flick of his car. I didn't realize he he had hit me until I got home and my girl noticed it. I'm also talking about how important it is to record plates or take my camera out of the glovebox but in this instance I dumbed out and never took the right action. Thank god I was finally able to scratch his white paint off with my finger nails and a little saliva. I always hear of how Lexus paint isnt that good. Well right now I'm very pleased. My paint looks unharmed so far. I'll check back in the morning in natural sunlight and after a good washing but right now I feel somewaht at ease. Just had to share this with you guys. It's good to vent
Old 03-11-06, 07:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What part of New York are you from?

I was there last week (cold) for some personal reasons.

Too bad about the mini-van driver. Tough to tell under those circustances.

I always carry around a little Sony 5mp camera around with a nice movie mode.

Caught a hit and run person and sent it to CHP.
Caught a DHL driver conducting a 85mph triple lane change on the very busy 5 freeway. Sent in to DHL corporate.
Took pics of several people involved in severe road rage. Amazing how they calm down once they know you just filmed them.

Glad to see your SC made it through.
Lee
Old 03-11-06, 07:35 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
What part of New York are you from?

I was there last week (cold) for some personal reasons.

Too bad about the mini-van driver. Tough to tell under those circustances.

I always carry around a little Sony 5mp camera around with a nice movie mode.

Caught a hit and run person and sent it to CHP.
Caught a DHL driver conducting a 85mph triple lane change on the very busy 5 freeway. Sent in to DHL corporate.
Took pics of several people involved in severe road rage. Amazing how they calm down once they know you just filmed them.

Glad to see your SC made it through.
Lee
Yeah thanx I'm aight. I'll definitely be more on point in the future. BTW I'm from NYC and thankfully we've had some swwet weather the last few days. Youre definitely right about people and their on camera reactions.
Old 03-11-06, 08:14 PM
SC43006
Rookie

Default crazy drivers

Sorry to hear about you and your car. At least nobody got hurt. I think you have a fairly new car too. Very sad.
Old 03-11-06, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh damn this is really sad sorry to hear that man i hate those people.....
Old 03-11-06, 11:18 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That really sucks!!! I'm feelin ya. I hope the daylight is kind to you and your inspection.
Old 03-12-06, 09:06 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexLaw
So yeah, I'm sitting at a green light and I signal to jump out of my lane to get from behind a slow turning vehicle. Mind you I signal and look with a ton of precaution, in fact my top was down so I had clear line of vision. Anyway as soon as I come out the fool in a Minivan comes flying down the lane on my passenger side and my girl screams. I slam on the breaks and the dude just swerves out continues on. I finally catch up to him and air him out "verbally". I knew the guy was guilty cause he never yelled back nor did he even drop is window or look out at me. The fool had several passengers and never acknowledged what happened.
First and foremost, I'm glad you, your friend, and your car are all safe. Some thoughts come to mind from reading your post (please take this as constructive):

Maybe...
1. The other driver didn't feel he was "guilty", since he was driving with the right-of-way in his lane.
2. The other driver didn't acknowledge you because he didn't know you, had a car full of people, and wanted to keep themself, you, your friend, and everyone inside their vehicle safe.
3. The other driver didn't notice your signal and it was you that scared the hell out of them when you pulled into their lane.
Old 03-12-06, 09:22 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i hate those people.....
"Rominl" - I only know you from your posts and responses, but I've always enjoyed what I've read. So, I'm all the more surprised by your comment. I think I know what you meant by that comment. However, I thought you might like to know how easily a comment like this can be misconstrued. We're fortunate to own/lease such fine cars, but driving these cars doesn't make us better people or place us above others.
Old 03-12-06, 10:21 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I think that all he meant was that he did not like people who dont take responsibility for their mistakes or actions. I think it is okay to hate someone who does a hit and run.
Old 03-12-06, 10:44 AM
petergerst
Rookie

Hi,
Gotta tell you guys a story. I'm a new sc430 owner, picked up an '04 dark green/saddle about 6 months ago. Love my car, love this website. But let me tell you this little tale....
I live in NYC, park my car in an attended lot at all times, use tose bumper guard pads every night when I leave me car overnight (which works wonders to save the bumpers)...then one day, that big snow storm about a month ago. I got stuck, my car had ABSOLUTELY NO TRACTION in the snow but I tried to move my car like an idiot (only had to go about 2 miles but I'm a physician so I had to go to work). My car got stuck again and again, until I had to leave it at an outside lot (mind you 24hr attended lot). I get my car back a couple days later, take it right over for a car wash and discover the whole back side of my car scraped up from some morone who did me a "favor" and cleaned the car off my car with some kind of shovel or broom or something. I couldn't even bare to look at the car....fast forward...took the car over to Manhattan Lexus for an estimate- had to have three panels repainted $1030 with tax, ouch). Moral of the story, any body ever takes their car into New York city, expect your car to take a beating, never leave it in a lot you're not used to and you don't trust. I took the car back to the lot, nearly had a fist figbt with the guy who refused to acknowledge his work, I even called the cops, filed a report....but my time is too valuable to waste and I guess even returning to the lot just 1 1/2 hours later, it was still my word against his. My car looks perfect again, but at a price.
Old 03-12-06, 12:52 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by petergerst
Hi,
Gotta tell you guys a story. I'm a new sc430 owner, picked up an '04 dark green/saddle about 6 months ago. Love my car, love this website. But let me tell you this little tale....
I live in NYC, park my car in an attended lot at all times, use tose bumper guard pads every night when I leave me car overnight (which works wonders to save the bumpers)...then one day, that big snow storm about a month ago. I got stuck, my car had ABSOLUTELY NO TRACTION in the snow but I tried to move my car like an idiot (only had to go about 2 miles but I'm a physician so I had to go to work). My car got stuck again and again, until I had to leave it at an outside lot (mind you 24hr attended lot). I get my car back a couple days later, take it right over for a car wash and discover the whole back side of my car scraped up from some morone who did me a "favor" and cleaned the car off my car with some kind of shovel or broom or something. I couldn't even bare to look at the car....fast forward...took the car over to Manhattan Lexus for an estimate- had to have three panels repainted $1030 with tax, ouch). Moral of the story, any body ever takes their car into New York city, expect your car to take a beating, never leave it in a lot you're not used to and you don't trust. I took the car back to the lot, nearly had a fist figbt with the guy who refused to acknowledge his work, I even called the cops, filed a report....but my time is too valuable to waste and I guess even returning to the lot just 1 1/2 hours later, it was still my word against his. My car looks perfect again, but at a price.
Wow Peter I know exactly what your saying. I'm glad you were able tor "correct" the issue but paid a nice price in the process. I'm curious about those removable bumper guards. Are those the big black foam things that hang off of two straps? If so how much are they? I park in a garage overnight but parallel park in NYC all the time during the day. So you know what I'm talking about. I love how people play bumping cars to park their car.

P.S. Leslie, I understand and appreciate you giving me the other perspective as their are always at least 2 sides to everything. That said the guy was way behind me and insisted in increasing his speed despite clearly seeing me entering "his" lane and my flashers indicating so. In fact there were several of us doing this. He, as many people do often like to make "statements" by not permitting anyone to go ahead of them despite someone signaling and being several yards ahead of them. And yes he defininitely knew what he did because he never even looked over and even ran the following red light in hopes of escaping me. Other drivers saw it and shared the same view as 3rd parties. His @$$ was guilty and he knew it. If he was so concerned with the safety of his occupants and me then why did he run a red light to only stop at the next one due to traffic. He also never even attepted to apologize or "smooth things over". If anyone should be concerned with their safety in this situation is me. I'm riding with my top down totally exposed while shouting at him. So I'm not buying that either.

Last edited by LexLaw; 03-12-06 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 01:26 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLaw
Wow Peter I know exactly what your saying. I'm glad you were able tor "correct" the issue but paid a nice price in the process. I'm curious about those removable bumper guards. Are those the big black foam things that hang off of two straps? If so how much are they? I park in a garage overnight but parallel park in NYC all the time during the day. So you know what I'm talking about. I love how people play bumping cars to park their car.

P.S. Leslie, I understand and appreciate you giving me the other perspective as their are always at least 2 sides to everything. That said the guy was way behind me and insisted in increasing his speed despite clearly seeing me entering "his" lane and my flashers indicating so. In fact there were several of us doing this. He, as many people do often like to make "statements" by not permitting anyone to go ahead of them despite someone signaling and being several yards ahead of them. And yes he defininitely knew what he did because he never even looked over and even ran the following red light in hopes of escaping me. Other drivers saw it and shared the same view as 3rd parties. His @$$ was guilty and he knew it. If he was so concerned with the safety of his occupants and me then why did he run a red light to only stop at the next one due to traffic. He also never even attepted to apologize or "smooth things over". If anyone should be concerned with their safety in this situation is me. I'm riding with my top down totally exposed while shouting at him. So I'm not buying that either.
Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. The important thing is that you and your friend are OK and your car is intact. FYI - last Friday was such a nice day that I decided to drive the SC430 to work. [My "daily driver" is an `05.5 A4.] Driving home with the top down in traffic surrounded by trucks and SUVs gave me the opportunity to notice how small the SC is in comparison to a lot of the other rides out there.
Old 03-12-06, 01:41 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Hey,
I'm writing back about the bumper guards- yes, I was referring to those big black pads that have 2 flexible cotton "hooks" on each side that latch under the bumpers. They're acutally not that expensive at all. Probably only about $85-$90 for the pair. I got them through my ICON garage guy. He called the company for me a and they came and sized up my car one night hand had the pads delivered to my car within a few days. Never regretted buying them. In fact, I think it allows me freedom from the daily "bumper car scene". I don't think you could use them outside on the street as they'd be ripped off by a passer by in no time. One thing though, I keep the pads in my trunk when I pick it up, they take up the entire trunk space (less the needed space to put the top down). No big deal though for me. I could give ask them for the name of the company if you're interested. Now if I could only get pads for the rest of the car
Old 03-12-06, 04:06 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default Thanx for the luv and understanding.

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. The important thing is that you and your friend are OK and your car is intact. FYI - last Friday was such a nice day that I decided to drive the SC430 to work. [My "daily driver" is an `05.5 A4.] Driving home with the top down in traffic surrounded by trucks and SUVs gave me the opportunity to notice how small the SC is in comparison to a lot of the other rides out there.
You're absolutely right that it could've been a lot worse. I'm very fortunate and grateful that My G/F and I along with the car are in good health. Thank you all for your concerns and allowing me to vent. And oh yeah it is somewhat of a surreal feeling when driving your SC topless in the city with all the Buses, Trucks and SUV's . I guess I'll have to get used to it. That shouldn't be to hard
Old 03-12-06, 06:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
"Rominl" - I only know you from your posts and responses, but I've always enjoyed what I've read. So, I'm all the more surprised by your comment. I think I know what you meant by that comment. However, I thought you might like to know how easily a comment like this can be misconstrued. We're fortunate to own/lease such fine cars, but driving these cars doesn't make us better people or place us above others.
oh no..... please dont' misunderstand me. if i do offend or confuse people, my apology. what i meant was people who don't drive carefully or refusing to stop after hitting other people's car. they have zero respect in my eyes. so even if that's another sc430 driver i would have said the same too.

sorry sorry

Quick Reply: My first Sideswipe!!! Right near my home.