SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

S & S Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 04:41 PM
aspguru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S & S Headers

Thanks Pearlpower for being the adventerous one who tries everthing first!!

i just got the headers in today. now comes the hard part. the install.

i was thinking about hitting the dealer to get a price. at least there i know that i should get quality work.

or i could take it to LMW

or Lee could install it if i could find something that he wants like some cash?

or ???

anybody else have anyone in so-cal that they trust?
Old 03-15-06, 07:28 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, be prepared to get hit for around 600-800 install fee if by hourly rate at around an average of $90 an hour. Not sure if the dealer will install this as the O2 sensor needs modifying. Some may, others may not.
Wish I had the time, but between the doctors visits (nobody knows what’s going on with me) and work, things are tight plus I still have some brakes to fabricate.
You may want to print out the tips in the main posting and take that with you as any so called pro can still use help from those that went through it.

Be prepared for the smile. I easily pulled an LS400 last night on the highway after I was done playing with him. Not a contest at all.
Lee
Old 03-16-06, 05:17 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aspguru
Thanks Pearlpower for being the adventerous one who tries everthing first!!
i just got the headers in today. now comes the hard part. the install.
i was thinking about hitting the dealer to get a price. at least there i know that i should get quality work.
aspguru,
Could you let me know if a Lexus-dealer will install them for you? I am hesitant to pay $130.00 per hour to the dealer for removal of the engine as part of the install. Although, like you I am not sure a local shop will be as careful and correct in their methods as a dealer. I don’t want to have a bolt broken off or faulty wiring on the sensor extension. I do not have the automotive-tools or the experience to do it myself. I know I want the headers, I just don’t know how to get them on.

Lee,
If a dealer will install them, would we expect to pay for around 8-12 hours labor? (I hope all goes well with the doctor. Saying a prayer for you and yours.)
Old 03-16-06, 06:08 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Hmmm, be prepared to get hit for around 600-800 install fee if by hourly rate at around an average of $90 an hour. Not sure if the dealer will install this as the O2 sensor needs modifying. Some may, others may not.
Wish I had the time, but between the doctors visits (nobody knows what’s going on with me) and work, things are tight plus I still have some brakes to fabricate.
You may want to print out the tips in the main posting and take that with you as any so called pro can still use help from those that went through it.

Be prepared for the smile. I easily pulled an LS400 last night on the highway after I was done playing with him. Not a contest at all.
Lee
Lee, I hope your ok, nobody likes doctors

aspguru,
Could you let me know if a Lexus-dealer will install them for you? I am hesitant to pay $130.00 per hour to the dealer for removal of the engine as part of the install. Although, like you I am not sure a local shop will be as careful and correct in their methods as a dealer. I don’t want to have a bolt broken off or faulty wiring on the sensor extension. I do not have the automotive-tools or the experience to do it myself. I know I want the headers, I just don’t know how to get them on.
Have you ordered them yet? I want to get them as my next mod, but then again I got a buncha mods laying around. Me and my friends do all our own installs. I do more electronic and wiring stuff, but my friends have all the impact tools and such and a nice garage so I always go over there. If my installs goes in quick and easy I am pretty sure he would take less than anything lexus would charge for install, plus he would already know how to do it by having done it on my car. Its an option for you since you live in Florida. Just let me know if your interested.
Old 03-16-06, 09:05 AM
aspguru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TYTESC
aspguru,

Lee,
If a dealer will install them, would we expect to pay for around 8-12 hours labor? (I hope all goes well with the doctor. Saying a prayer for you and yours.)
I will let you know after i make a few calls.

Lee, take care of yourself man. i know we all are wishing you luck on whatever is ailing you.
Do you think that the shop you went to in Grand Terrace could do the install? They arent too far from me.

Tony, i have them in my garage but i am not in FL i am in CA!
Old 03-16-06, 09:26 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Lee, take care of yourself man. i know we all are wishing you luck on whatever is ailing you.
Do you think that the shop you went to in Grand Terrace could do the install? They arent too far from me.

LOL it was meant for Billy 1TYTESC since he lives in FL
Old 03-16-06, 09:31 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

oopsssssss
Old 03-16-06, 09:48 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone. Just found out the last of my test came back negative for anything so as the doctor told me earlier this week which I chose to deny is Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Guess I am fallible after all and not the big bad strong willed male I once thought I was. Boy I look forward to some time off and that meet next month. Hope I don’t stress about the mods’

I am not sure how well their mechanical skill are as I only go there for the dynos plus they specialize in Evos which are very simple to work on according to them.

Very few shops in the area I would trust and I dealt with all of them in my prior job.

Best bet would try the dealer. At least you would have a good fighting chance if something goes wrong.

Nice to have two mod'd SC's in the area.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-16-06 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-16-06, 10:18 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Glad to know its nothing serious!

Take some time off and relax, if working on your car is relaxing then do it
Old 03-16-06, 12:05 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Lee,
Glad to hear your test results are negative. Thanks for the support you offer us. If we can offer you any kind of support, just ask.

Tony,
Thanks for your offer, I would be happy to drive down for the install after they use you as the guinea pig. LOL! I will order them soon and let you know. Keep me posted on your progress.

aspguru,
Let us know what you find out. We are anxious to get "That Smile" Lee is describing.
Old 03-16-06, 12:31 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Billy, Let me know when you order them, and I'll see if I can get them at the same time. I am in no hurry since i got a bunch of other stuff I need to install, but if you getem soon I'll try and expediate my install to help accomodate you.
Old 03-17-06, 01:07 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! That is really cool of you Tony. I am ready, but was going to wait for you to be ready. Let's get em now! Ordered mine Today!

Last edited by Radical350; 03-17-06 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-18-06, 08:09 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Lee, I didn't realize you were not feeling 100%. Glad to hear the testing is negative. Both an ex girlfriend of mine (still a great friend) and my sister are both stuggling with mistery ailments. Modern medicine is amazing but there is still a lot of "art" and "intuition" needed along with the science.

Back to the headers: nice to see others following your lead. What year LS400 did you run off on? 1998-2000? If so that speaks very well for the mods you have.
Old 03-18-06, 08:12 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TYTESC
aspguru,
removal of the engine as part of the install.
Removal of the engine is definitely NOT required or recommended. The simple single tube design of the stock 430 manifolds makes removal of them easier than the dual tube design on the 1998-2000 400s. Other than extending the O2 sensor wiring harness these appear to be plug and play.
Old 03-18-06, 09:42 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Removal of the engine is definitely NOT required or recommended. The simple single tube design of the stock 430 manifolds makes removal of them easier than the dual tube design on the 1998-2000 400s. Other than extending the O2 sensor wiring harness these appear to be plug and play.
Engine removal is the method used by the dealer if they were to replace the stock headers. I would have to let them do as they wish if I have them do the install. And I would have to pay for it $$$$

Quick Reply: S & S Headers