SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need Help! Steering Wheel Vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 08:55 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help! Steering Wheel Vibration??

hi guys..

i finally just drove my car after she sat in my garage for about 2-3 weeks. i do u thik it has something to do w/ the wheel? i just got it fixed..maybe its not balanced? would this cause the vibration? what could it be? when i drive over 45mph it starts to vibrate a little?? c

can anyone give me their thoughts??

thanks
Old 03-16-06, 09:06 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possible items that may cause this vibration:

1. loss in air tire pressure to one or multiple rubber tires
2. possible bent rim
3. may need an alignment

I still have the stock runflats and one of my tires losses about 10-15 psi a week.
I get steering vibration above between 45-55mph.

I already know what i need to do. I'm just getting my money's worth from these crappy runflats as long as I can.

Hey, I'm having lunch w/ another member tomorrow, Friday 3/17 @ 12:30pm at Anise Restaurant on San Carlos street in San Jose. it's a free lunch and if you're interested, stop by.

I can take a look at the vibration if you want.
Old 03-16-06, 09:12 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teeman3
possible items that may cause this vibration:

1. loss in air tire pressure to one or multiple rubber tires
2. possible bent rim
3. may need an alignment

I still have the stock runflats and one of my tires losses about 10-15 psi a week.
I get steering vibration above between 45-55mph.

I already know what i need to do. I'm just getting my money's worth from these crappy runflats as long as I can.

Hey, I'm having lunch w/ another member tomorrow, Friday 3/17 @ 12:30pm at Anise Restaurant on San Carlos street in San Jose. it's a free lunch and if you're interested, stop by.

I can take a look at the vibration if you want.
hi tee..

my sensor lights arent on..i guess i should measure it..but i dont think its the problem... bent rim..i totally doubt it b/c i barely drove it since i got it and didnt go over anything harsh. as for alignment, i did it a month ago..and since then only put less than 300 miles. but i guess i should have it checked out.

as for lunch, i wont be in sj on friday or this weekend. thats why i cant make the mini meet.. but thanks!
Old 03-16-06, 11:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

try to drive the car more and see if there are vibrations. the car has been sitting for 3 weeks, there might be a flat spot, and if so then you get vibration. if you drive the car for 50 miles and stil the same thing then it's probably something else

maybe the wheels are not correctly balanced (lexus cars are vey sensitive to wheel balance). unless you hit something bad id ont' thikn you bend a wheel already

and did you tighten the wheels correctly (star shape style, tq correctly)
Old 03-17-06, 06:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
try to drive the car more and see if there are vibrations. the car has been sitting for 3 weeks, there might be a flat spot, and if so then you get vibration. if you drive the car for 50 miles and stil the same thing then it's probably something else

maybe the wheels are not correctly balanced (lexus cars are vey sensitive to wheel balance). unless you hit something bad id ont' thikn you bend a wheel already

and did you tighten the wheels correctly (star shape style, tq correctly)

yup probally sitting there too long, also do you have hub rings?
Old 03-17-06, 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
yup probally sitting there too long, also do you have hub rings?
i kinda doubt about hub rings, that's why i wonder how the wheels were put on as well
Old 03-17-06, 11:27 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely give it some time to warm the tires up first before trying anything else. When I leave mine in the garage even overnight during a Wisconsin winter, it takes about 10 minutes before the vibration goes away. Also like rominl says, the wheels are very sensitive. I had horrible steering wheel vibration at 60mph which I didn't have before going to a chain auto store to have them road-force "balance" them. The problem was fixed by going back to my regular mechanic (non Lexus) with my tail between my leg for cheating on him and having him rebalance them.

One other thing to check is that you don't have a sticking brake caliper. You'll know if you do by feeling each wheel immediately after driving. The wheel should not be hot, and a sticking caliper might cause some vibration or make the vibration more noticeable.

I'm always amazed when riding in other vehicles at how people put up with vibrations from unbalanced tires and who think it's normal. Granted, I'm a little obsessive on vibrations or squeeks ...
Old 03-19-06, 08:42 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default steering wheel vibration......

I too get the steering wheel vibration.....
when the top is closed (up).....it may be due to the front wheels unbalanced or un-aligned....

when the top is down (open air)....it may be due to "cowl shake" after hitting minor imperfections on the road......then again, I still have my run-flats on and they are stiff as heck........

when I get my non-runFlats....i will have the dealer realign and balance (which they have to do anyways) my car.....

plus the when I step on the brakes from 60mph to 5mph I get the steering wheel vibration, this maybe due to front rotors need resurfacing........

just my thoughts.....
Old 03-24-06, 03:42 PM
wminter
Driver School Candidate

I know i'm a little bit late on this thread, but I just got my GS300 and drove it up to college and noticed that at higher speeds the wheel shakes. I don't believe that it is the rotors b/c if I slow down at any lower speeds (say 45mph) then it stops fine. If the rotors were warped you would feel it at almost any speed. The alignment is perfect (as far as driving straight). It may be the tire pressure, im gunna check that soon. I was wondering if it is possible for the brake calipers on the front wheels to be applying a slightly different pressure on each side?
Old 03-25-06, 01:59 PM
wonggai
Driver School Candidate

I had the same steering wheel vibration at certain speeds, took it in for the front wheels to be balanced and its been vibration free since then,
Old 03-27-06, 01:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by wminter
I know i'm a little bit late on this thread, but I just got my GS300 and drove it up to college and noticed that at higher speeds the wheel shakes. I don't believe that it is the rotors b/c if I slow down at any lower speeds (say 45mph) then it stops fine. If the rotors were warped you would feel it at almost any speed. The alignment is perfect (as far as driving straight). It may be the tire pressure, im gunna check that soon. I was wondering if it is possible for the brake calipers on the front wheels to be applying a slightly different pressure on each side?
at least for gs the wheel balance is a common probably coz' the suspension is so sensitive to that. you should try to get them rebalanced
Old 03-27-06, 10:27 AM
wminter
Driver School Candidate

I'll definately try that, thanks for the help wonggai and rominl