SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 02:46 PM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its easy to install, you could call me here in the UK and ill talk you through what you need to do, i have the audio input, which i use for the PS2, TV, and DVD changer
Old 03-31-06, 10:52 AM
spyderdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the method from http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=9612&
to install http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3sL4XLq...lay&i=108DP1US

i stached the control **** on the cup holder in such way that i can still use the cup holder. and the wires are hidden inside the center console. my ipod is also in there. This works great, and allows you to see the song names and everything. FM modulation sux. I did lots of research, and i think this is the best way to utilize the mark levinson audio at a cheapest cost, highest sound quality, and the ease of control.
Old 04-01-06, 05:37 PM
cellrbr8
Driver School Candidate

I got a quote from my dealer for $500 for the ipod plug in that shows all of the songs on the radio display. That makes the steering wheel buttons active to control the ipod. I've been told there is not a need to touch the ipod when driving. I assumed it also charges the ipodbattery?
Old 04-06-06, 02:12 PM
spyderdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cellrbr8
I got a quote from my dealer for $500 for the ipod plug in that shows all of the songs on the radio display. That makes the steering wheel buttons active to control the ipod. I've been told there is not a need to touch the ipod when driving. I assumed it also charges the ipodbattery?
No such thing exists.. they are lying
Old 04-06-06, 04:32 PM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree with the above post. From what I have learned so far, there is virtually nothing that comes close to creating a discrete MP3 input for the ML system, and certainly nothing that displays embedded tags on the screen, and nothing that would use the steering wheel buttons other than, of course, the volume buttons.

Vaistech (or something like that) has been marketing add ons that try for some of these features, but does not really have anything that really works like an integrated system built for an iPod would work. Some systems they have sold have not worked so well, as I recall reading here, but check their web page for accurate updates. If anybody is going to offer this, it will be this company, I would think.

Until the car manufacturers direct their audio buddies to build this in, it's probably not going to happen as an aftermarket accessory, especially on high-end, complex systems like the ML system in the SC430. Remember that the more complex the audio system is to start with, the more difficult it is (usually) for aftermarket designers to tap in and add on. I am resigned to my cassette deck adapter, with a nice holder that props my Nano up where I can read that screen.

I asked my dealer's service manager about adding a remote starter for my RX330, which I park outside, because a friend had one put into his wife's Suburu a few years ago and they like it a lot. However, the Lexus technician said that they don't work well with all the electronic parts and all the various computer controlled parts in the car. He had some RX owners come in because the remote starter screwed up all the interior lighting -- nobody knows why. Plus you have the problem of having to keep a key chip near the ignition to allow starting, which defeats a major security feature. The point being (and regular readers will recall that most of my stories don't have any point) that the 10 year old Suburu is one thing, but the Lexus is too complex for such quick and easy add-ons.

He said he hoped that Lexus would create an optional remote starter for his customers who want one, and that would be the only way he would suggest adding one. Same thing for the MP3 plug in adapter. It's a dream and it won't happen. Lexus is sure not going to bother making one now, and the California computer wiz kids can't figure how to do it, so forget about it. Future models will surely have it because that's the way the market is going, but we will not have such a thing for our SC430s.

Sad but true.
Old 04-06-06, 06:36 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I plan to use the cassette tape adapter too once I buy my first i-pod. I am behind the times.

Can you please post a pic or two of your setup with the nice holder you mentioned??? Thanks, Mike.

Originally Posted by tfischer
I agree with the above post. From what I have learned so far, there is virtually nothing that comes close to creating a discrete MP3 input for the ML system, and certainly nothing that displays embedded tags on the screen, and nothing that would use the steering wheel buttons other than, of course, the volume buttons.

Vaistech (or something like that) has been marketing add ons that try for some of these features, but does not really have anything that really works like an integrated system built for an iPod would work. Some systems they have sold have not worked so well, as I recall reading here, but check their web page for accurate updates. If anybody is going to offer this, it will be this company, I would think.

Until the car manufacturers direct their audio buddies to build this in, it's probably not going to happen as an aftermarket accessory, especially on high-end, complex systems like the ML system in the SC430. Remember that the more complex the audio system is to start with, the more difficult it is (usually) for aftermarket designers to tap in and add on. I am resigned to my cassette deck adapter, with a nice holder that props my Nano up where I can read that screen.

I asked my dealer's service manager about adding a remote starter for my RX330, which I park outside, because a friend had one put into his wife's Suburu a few years ago and they like it a lot. However, the Lexus technician said that they don't work well with all the electronic parts and all the various computer controlled parts in the car. He had some RX owners come in because the remote starter screwed up all the interior lighting -- nobody knows why. Plus you have the problem of having to keep a key chip near the ignition to allow starting, which defeats a major security feature. The point being (and regular readers will recall that most of my stories don't have any point) that the 10 year old Suburu is one thing, but the Lexus is too complex for such quick and easy add-ons.

He said he hoped that Lexus would create an optional remote starter for his customers who want one, and that would be the only way he would suggest adding one. Same thing for the MP3 plug in adapter. It's a dream and it won't happen. Lexus is sure not going to bother making one now, and the California computer wiz kids can't figure how to do it, so forget about it. Future models will surely have it because that's the way the market is going, but we will not have such a thing for our SC430s.

Sad but true.
Old 04-07-06, 05:55 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430mike
I plan to use the cassette tape adapter too once I buy my first i-pod. I am behind the times.

Can you please post a pic or two of your setup with the nice holder you mentioned??? Thanks, Mike.

do a search in the audio forum, someone spliced directly into the wires for an ipod connection. allows you to use the volume buttons on steering wheel.
Old 04-07-06, 06:02 AM
tfischer

I'll get a pic over the weekend and post it, and try to recall where I got it from. I think it's readily available from some of the thousands of places that sell iPod accessories.

As for tapping into the wires for the ML, that can be done if you want, but that only puts the sound through the amp. You do not get info displayed on the screen, nor can you control the iPod (track selection, fast forward, etc.) except from the iPod itself. As noted above, the volume control of the ML, both on the ML deck and on the steering wheel, will always work to control the volume.
Old 04-07-06, 04:26 PM
tfischer

Here's the info requested above on the device I have been using for my iPod Nano in the car.

It's called the "MicroFlex Car for iPod Nano"

You can buy one from Extreme Mac, which they spell as xtrememac :

http://www.xtrememac.com/chargers/microflex_car.php

They describe it on their site as:
"Flexible dock for on-the-road charging and power.
Bend it. Twist it. Flex it. MicroFlex Car is the most flexible car mounting system you'll find anywhere! It plugs directly into your vehicle's 12-volt accessory outlet and safely powers and charges your iPod nano. Its flexible construction enables you to position your iPod nano exactly where you want it."

I like it for two reasons: (1) it both charges the iPod from the car battery and powers it; thus your iPod battery does not run down and (2) as shown in the pic below, it holds the Nano on a flexible stalk (that plugs very securely into the lighter socket) so I can move it to the far right (as shown) or the center, or can even bring it way over to a position right next to the steering wheel.

You can buy an FM transmitter from them that integrates with this, or buy their cassette adapter, which I did. Or you can use your own. Since the plug on the Nano is on the bottom, they have added a plug to the lower right corner of the holder, since the bottom of the Nano is affixed to the basic Apple multifunction wide plug on the bottom. You can see this plug on the photo, and you can plug in any kind of adapter you want, even earphones, since it is the same as the earphone plug.

It's a little pricey, but very well made and very handy. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails iPod integration-ipodsc430-at-245.jpg  
Old 04-07-06, 04:35 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks for the picture! Looks good.
Old 04-07-06, 06:22 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Question Please help!!

I did a post about this a few weeks back and some Mod felt the need to move it to the classified section don't ask why!! Well anyway I see some of you guys are running the cassette/ Ipod set up. Are any of you experiencing severe distorted or hollow sounds when running your engine? When I'm parked up and engine off its sounds great but otherwise its weak? Whats up? Please help me guys. By the way I have the Griffin Smartdeck.
Old 04-07-06, 07:55 PM
tfischer

I don't know about the Griffin stuff, but my setup, described above, works fine.

You might want to test a few variables, because nobody wants to generalize from insufficient data.

First, be sure it's not the ML itself. Play a good cassette by itself to see how that sounds. If you have played a lot of tapes in the car over the years, try a head cleaning cassette, as this often improves the fidelity of the playback.

If the ML, especially the (little used) tape deck sounds OK, the problem is with the Griffin device.

With these setups, remember that both the volume control on the iPod and the volume control on the ML are operative. Try setting the iPod volume at a mid level, and then adjust the volume, bass and treble of the ML.

Be sure to try this on different sources of iPod material. Songs downloaded from iTunes are not very high quality to begin with. Rip a few classical tunes as MP3 and see if those stil sound bad.

Try another cassette adapter. They are not too expensive, which leads me to suspect that quality may vary all over the place.

Generally people are reasonably pleased with the cassette adapter sound, although it is far from CD quality and somewhat cumbersome. For me, I find it much preferable to the FM modulator system.
Old 04-08-06, 07:04 AM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

I have the Monster cassette adapter and while it doesn't have the additional features the Griffen model does, it sounds the same with the engine on or off. Only issue I have is the ML system will pop the tape out occasionally but I'll see if that gets rectified when I clean the head unit.
Old 04-08-06, 03:47 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't know about the Griffin stuff, but my setup, described above, works fine.

You might want to test a few variables, because nobody wants to generalize from insufficient data.

First, be sure it's not the ML itself. Play a good cassette by itself to see how that sounds. If you have played a lot of tapes in the car over the years, try a head cleaning cassette, as this often improves the fidelity of the playback.

If the ML, especially the (little used) tape deck sounds OK, the problem is with the Griffin device.

With these setups, remember that both the volume control on the iPod and the volume control on the ML are operative. Try setting the iPod volume at a mid level, and then adjust the volume, bass and treble of the ML.

Be sure to try this on different sources of iPod material. Songs downloaded from iTunes are not very high quality to begin with. Rip a few classical tunes as MP3 and see if those stil sound bad.

Try another cassette adapter. They are not too expensive, which leads me to suspect that quality may vary all over the place.

Generally people are reasonably pleased with the cassette adapter sound, although it is far from CD quality and somewhat cumbersome. For me, I find it much preferable to the FM modulator system.
I haven't even attempted that. Thanx Ill test one of my old DJ clue Tapes Hopefully it wil sound crappy also so that its just a dirty tape head. Thanx
Old 04-10-06, 06:22 PM
gstalter
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 Ipod Integration

I have a couple of weeks experience with the Vaistech Ipod integration system now. The unit is okay, but could be better. I was using a cassette tape interface prior to using the Vaistech equipment. I didn't like the sound with the cassete interface and the direct interface definitely is much better. Also, the interior of the car is much less cluttered - nothing sticking out of the ashtray holding the Ipod and nothing dangling out of the cassette player, etc... I mounted the Vaistech equipment under the center console and have the cord for the Ipod mounted into the center console - right next to the auxiliary power supply. So, when I'm driving, the Ipod is in the center console out of sight. Also, I saw that someone was asking if this unit also charges the Ipod and the answer is yes it does charge the Ipod while the car is turned on. Also, there are two modes for this unit - automatic and manual. In automatic mode, the only thing that appears on the Ipod when it's connected is VAISTECH... You can't see the names of the songs that are playing, etc... That information is transmitted to the stereo for display on the screen. However, the ML audio system won't display this information (the ID tag). It just shows the CD disc number and song number, nothing more. In the Vaistech installation instructions, the 2006 SC 430 does have a footnote that text support may work. However, it doesn't on my 2006 SC430 and so I don't know why it would on any other one. In manual mode, you can use the Ipod directly to control what song is playing (like standalone Ipod use) and see the song information displayed on the Ipod screen. I haven't played around much with this, but have tried it and it works.

Pros: Sound is great. Interior is clean without any wires in sight. Controls on the steering wheel work for volume, track up, track down and playlist up and down (which is the same as the disc up and down). All of the controls on the stereo itself work the same as when you are playing a CD.

Cons: In automatic mode, you can't see the names of the songs that are being played (on the stereo or on the Ipod). The CD number you are playing is based on the Playlists stored on the Ipod. You are limited to a maximum number of 99 playlists and 99 songs per playlist (otherwise you might get unexpected results). So, if you do the math, you're limited to a maximum of 9,801 songs (if you put exactly 99 songs in each playlist). Not sure exactly what happens if you go over 99 songs in a playlist or have over 99 playslists, but the ML stereo is only capable of displaying up to 99 discs and 99 tracks - therefore the reason for the limitation with the Vaistech unit. I have a 60GB Ipod and it will easily store more than 9,801 songs. However, I've only got about 3,500 songs on my Ipod now and that is pretty much my entire music collection. Oh, just for trivia in case someone else is installing this unit, I thought I would mention that when you set up playlists on the Ipod, you might want to consider numbering them. I found it easier to keep track of them that way because all the head unit displays is the playlist (disc) number. So, playlist 1. Jazz is also disc 1 on stereo display, etc...

Quick Reply: iPod integration