SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 04:39 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
I agree with the above post. From what I have learned so far, there is virtually nothing that comes close to creating a discrete MP3 input for the ML system, and certainly nothing that displays embedded tags on the screen, and nothing that would use the steering wheel buttons other than, of course, the volume buttons.

Vaistech (or something like that) has been marketing add ons that try for some of these features, but does not really have anything that really works like an integrated system built for an iPod would work. Some systems they have sold have not worked so well, as I recall reading here, but check their web page for accurate updates. If anybody is going to offer this, it will be this company, I would think.

Until the car manufacturers direct their audio buddies to build this in, it's probably not going to happen as an aftermarket accessory, especially on high-end, complex systems like the ML system in the SC430. Remember that the more complex the audio system is to start with, the more difficult it is (usually) for aftermarket designers to tap in and add on. I am resigned to my cassette deck adapter, with a nice holder that props my Nano up where I can read that screen.

I asked my dealer's service manager about adding a remote starter for my RX330, which I park outside, because a friend had one put into his wife's Suburu a few years ago and they like it a lot. However, the Lexus technician said that they don't work well with all the electronic parts and all the various computer controlled parts in the car. He had some RX owners come in because the remote starter screwed up all the interior lighting -- nobody knows why. Plus you have the problem of having to keep a key chip near the ignition to allow starting, which defeats a major security feature. The point being (and regular readers will recall that most of my stories don't have any point) that the 10 year old Suburu is one thing, but the Lexus is too complex for such quick and easy add-ons.

He said he hoped that Lexus would create an optional remote starter for his customers who want one, and that would be the only way he would suggest adding one. Same thing for the MP3 plug in adapter. It's a dream and it won't happen. Lexus is sure not going to bother making one now, and the California computer wiz kids can't figure how to do it, so forget about it. Future models will surely have it because that's the way the market is going, but we will not have such a thing for our SC430s.

Sad but true.
so the luxury motorworks remote starter addon is basically insecure b/c of the whole key chip thing?
Old 04-12-06, 05:25 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

From what I learned in investigating the issue of remote starters, they are insecure for our SCs for two reasons. First, you have to have some way to tell the starter chip that the forthcoming start is authorized, or the engine will not crank no matter what you do. (This is one of several reasons that Lexus is just about the least stolen car built.) The only way to get a remote starter to work is to put one of your keys or the flat key "case" with the chip in it very near the ignition and leave it there. Of course, I suppose you could just get some velcro and put the chip into position at those times when you anticipate using the remote starter, but that's hardly in keeping with the theory of convenience which is why you bought the remote starter in the first place.

Secondly, (this from my Lexus Dealer's service manager) remote starters in general can screw around with the computers and electronics in the car. Even my friend with a 10 year old Suburu mentioned that he had some things like that happen (eg: lights acting funny), and that's hardly a car with complex electronics. So you take your chances with a serious add-on like a remote starter.

It's not that big a deal for me, for various reasons. On really cold mornings when I have to take the car parked outside, I can usually step outside and start it myself. Or I can just drive off and wait the 5 minutes for the bun warmers to kick in, which is hardly roughing it, all things considered.

I looked into it and I have concluded that I am going to pass on the remote starter, although that would be nice to have sometimes. In the meantime, in warmer weather I can cool off the car (RX330) remotely by holding down the unlock button, which lowers all 4 windows and opens the sunroof, just as that move on our cars lowers the windows.

Again, hardly roughing it.
Old 05-21-06, 06:42 AM
CEDillard
Driver School Candidate

Default Vaistech

[QUOTE=gstalter]You can probably get the Lexus dealer or an aftermarket stereo shop to install the Lexpd from Vaistech. The model I bought is for Ipod and anothe auxiliary input. However, I beieve they have a unit for an auxiliary and XM satelite if you are interested in satelite. Go to this website and you can read about their products. http://www.vaistech.com/home.html

What year SC430 do you have?
I have an 02 and Vaistech said the only unit that would work was the auxilliary adapter. Which means I would put my MP3 player in the glove compartment and still control the unit through the player, not the dash.
Old 05-21-06, 02:35 PM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

Default Cheaper alternative

I used SeattleSC's instructions (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=4pdt) with great success. Total cost for parts was about $70 which included wireless remote and charger. The RCA jacks are easily accessible underneath the seat heater control, and they could be mounted through the center console wall if that type of connection was preferred to a single mini plug. I added pics to that thread and I have another 4 pole switch (on - off - on configuration) and a Monster brand cassette adapter for $5 each (to cover shipping) if anyone wants them.
Old 06-26-06, 09:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am using this one purchased from the popular auction site for less than $25.00 shipped. It is durable and very clear with it's FM transmitter. It easily surpasses other transmitters I have used in sound quality with no static or interference. Only issue is that it does not fit with the gear selector in P so I am looking into getting a Japanese version ashtray assembly that hopefully moves it over. It is a very clean attachment that I can move from car to car. It is very lightweight so repeated use should not burden the lighter assembly.

Old 06-27-06, 06:06 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

I use this holder which is on a flexible stalk, so I can position it anywhere that is convenient -- this makes the screen and the controls easily accessible.
Attached Thumbnails iPod integration-ipodsc430-at-240.jpg  
Old 06-27-06, 11:44 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
From what I learned in investigating the issue of remote starters, they are insecure for our SCs for two reasons. First, you have to have some way to tell the starter chip that the forthcoming start is authorized, or the engine will not crank no matter what you do. (This is one of several reasons that Lexus is just about the least stolen car built.) The only way to get a remote starter to work is to put one of your keys or the flat key "case" with the chip in it very near the ignition and leave it there. Of course, I suppose you could just get some velcro and put the chip into position at those times when you anticipate using the remote starter, but that's hardly in keeping with the theory of convenience which is why you bought the remote starter in the first place.

Secondly, (this from my Lexus Dealer's service manager) remote starters in general can screw around with the computers and electronics in the car. Even my friend with a 10 year old Suburu mentioned that he had some things like that happen (eg: lights acting funny), and that's hardly a car with complex electronics. So you take your chances with a serious add-on like a remote starter.

It's not that big a deal for me, for various reasons. On really cold mornings when I have to take the car parked outside, I can usually step outside and start it myself. Or I can just drive off and wait the 5 minutes for the bun warmers to kick in, which is hardly roughing it, all things considered.

I looked into it and I have concluded that I am going to pass on the remote starter, although that would be nice to have sometimes. In the meantime, in warmer weather I can cool off the car (RX330) remotely by holding down the unlock button, which lowers all 4 windows and opens the sunroof, just as that move on our cars lowers the windows.

Again, hardly roughing it.

I was at a car show in orlando one time and I saw a car start up and speed up into a car directly in front of it when the owner was atleast 300ft away. no way his alarm would have turned it on. Luckily for me the guy who got his car hit had asked me to take my spot there so he could park with his club and being the nice guy that I am I obliged. Remote starts scare me
Old 06-27-06, 12:41 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CLEAN mount bracket

I did one of these in my mom's ES300 for her iPod 30GB. This is the GS version:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-54-98.pdf

There's an expensive $335 Adapter to let you tap directly into the OEM stereo but for that price I would go aftermarket and get a headunit that will interface directly with an iPod.

http://www.installer.com/aux/

DaveC
Old 06-27-06, 12:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Though a bit off topic, a remote starter is the same as an alarm, stereo, or any other add on. It is all about the installation. A car taking off with a remote starter would mean that it was a manual equipped car which is a no no. Everything is about using the proper equipment and installing it properly. I have used mine multiple times and never an issue along with a few others here with SC430's and other models. No issue with theft as the steering wheel is still locked and the unit shuts off once the brake is pressed which is required to change gears from P. It's in the install.
Old 06-27-06, 02:24 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

I agree. Although there can be electronic problems with remote starters, as observed above, having the car take off on its own is not one of them. That just cannot happen in any car with an automatic transmission, and I thought that nobody makes or installs remote starters in cars with manual transmissions for obvious reasons.

Also, most remote starters stop the engine if there is no mechanical input for a set period of time, which is about 10 minutes or so, which is a safety precaution in case a stray signal sets off the system. (Just as our doors will lock again in 30 or 60 seconds if the door is not opened after being unlocked by the remote signal.)