SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I found the Ideal spot for an XM antenna ! (pix)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 05:19 AM
LEXINIT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found the Ideal spot for an XM antenna ! (pix)

This was the only logical place to put it !! Very easy install, just hide the wire in the rubber seal, down through the A pillar, right into your console, DONE !!
Happy XM Listening !!
Hughie, FL
Attached Thumbnails I found the Ideal spot for an XM antenna ! (pix)-xm-ant-resize.jpg  
Old 03-31-06, 05:20 AM
LEXINIT
Driver School Candidate

Here is a Closer View !!
Attached Thumbnails I found the Ideal spot for an XM antenna ! (pix)-xm-closup-resize.jpg  
Old 03-31-06, 05:22 AM
LEXINIT
Driver School Candidate

Also, you can color match it to your car, then you won't even see it !!
Hughie, FL
Old 03-31-06, 05:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saw a sirus installation at the lexus dealership on a brand new LS they put this huge triangle looking attenna on the front windshield, I mean its huge
Old 03-31-06, 08:10 AM
RMR
Rookie

Default Right! This IS the spot!

This is exactely where I have my SIRIUS antenna mounted.

Although temporary (not glued as I am using the magnet base), I have had it in this location since the day I bought my SC. My SIRIUS antenna is the same size as the XM, and is usually what you get when you buy the radio package.

Some folks have mentioned putting it behind the headrests in the back, but in order to work optimaly, the antenna should not be covered.

Running the wire under the windscreen gasket, them down the passenger pillar take about 10 minutes.

So far, I am very happy with results. Thanks for sharring, and now I don't feel like I am alone

NICE430
Old 03-31-06, 08:50 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

hey I got a better idea. put it on the trunk lid on top of the LED and paint it the color of your car then it wont stick out so much. I think you can run the wire down the stock tube where the current LED power wires run.
Old 03-31-06, 10:09 AM
DChuka
Driver

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
hey I got a better idea. put it on the trunk lid on top of the LED and paint it the color of your car then it wont stick out so much. I think you can run the wire down the stock tube where the current LED power wires run.
Is the top of the LED steel or plastic? You need something a magnet can attach to. It's more than just for cosmetics; I think the antenna works better if it has something to hold onto.
Old 03-31-06, 11:08 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DChuka
Is the top of the LED steel or plastic? You need something a magnet can attach to. It's more than just for cosmetics; I think the antenna works better if it has something to hold onto.
I would think a piece of double sided tape would be better then a magnet
Old 03-31-06, 12:21 PM
DChuka
Driver

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I would think a piece of double sided tape would be better then a magnet
I think the antenna needs to make contact with ferrous metal to work better, beyond the purpose of holding the thing onto your car. (I'm at work right now and don't have access to the XM manual so don't shoot me if I'm wrong!) Having said that, I've put the antenna as a quickee set up on the front seat and haven't have reception issues.
Old 03-31-06, 12:22 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

hehe I have no clue either I am just speculating
Old 03-31-06, 08:04 PM
LEXINIT
Driver School Candidate

No glueing or double sided tape is recommended for the install !! Just rest it in place & let the magnetic base do the rest... Mine has been in that location for 5 months now, and hasn't shifted once !! (including 150 mph runs on the turnpike, LOL)...If you color match it to your car, it will be ideal, and you will never notice it !!
Hughie...FL
Old 04-27-06, 10:13 AM
Gasjuggler
Driver School Candidate

Just bought Delphi Skyfi 2 and been stuggling on where to place the antenna on my black 04 SC430.I decided to place the radio in the center console for now. It won't fit in the ashtray and it sticks out to far on the dash panel. Right now I have the antenna in the rear headrest and the signal does drop out occassionly.I would like to place the antenna where you did in your photo but will the cable cause any problems with the gasket (leaks)?

Last edited by Gasjuggler; 05-04-06 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 11:44 AM
clubaddict
Driver

howd you integrate the satellite radio with the stock levinson system?
Old 04-28-06, 05:55 PM
rbsdvm
Driver School Candidate

Default about satellite radio...

I have a 2002 SC430 and just had XM installed. The receiver fit nicely into the ash tray gap, so I can still close the door. It is wired into the radio - the installer tried to use a new system that can integrate totally but it didn't work with the '02 (apparently it was made for the newer model). But it works wonderfully and I can still use the steering wheel controls for volume. My question concerns the antenna. Is there a way I can listen to XM without the car antenna coming up? I have heard that if you turn off the RDS it can be done but only if you are using the cd or cassette player. I tend to think my only option would be to remove the antenna, which would be fine, since I never listen to regular radio. Has anyone done this, and if so, how could I plug the opening from which the antenna arises?
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by rbsdvm; 04-28-06 at 05:56 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-14-06, 11:40 AM
hfchapin
Driver School Candidate

Default XM in ashtray

What model XM receiver fits in the ashtray?

Quick Reply: I found the Ideal spot for an XM antenna ! (pix)