SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

rolling fenders on an SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 11:25 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bt430
That's certainly not the case in my situation the lower I go the more I rub. In fact I've rubbed so much I've worn away the seam between the plastic wheel well liner and the fender moulding in the wheel well. Now we've got a little loose fender liner.

BT

well you put on rims without lowering the car right. when you lower a car the camber should go in.

ohh and to push the plastic lining in you want to get a heat gun. I got mine from home depot for $40 its really nice has heat adjustments up to a really high temp

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 04-12-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 05:24 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
well you put on rims without lowering the car right. when you lower a car the camber should go in.

ohh and to push the plastic lining in you want to get a heat gun. I got mine from home depot for $40 its really nice has heat adjustments up to a really high temp
Mine was slammed with the 18 TRDs I had on it. I had to raise it to close to stock to get the rubbing to stop. I was rubbing the sidewall not the top of the fender liner. The culprit is out of spec tires so the fender lips have to go.
Old 04-12-06, 08:28 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

bt430,

that's interesting. how many inches did you slam it w/ the TRD's?

I only lowered 1" w/ TRD's on mine and no rubbing. But I'd like to go a little lower.
Old 04-12-06, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

its the camber like I said before the lower you go the easier it should clear
but that means a lot of negative camber. coz' that means by lowering the car to no gap, my 10.5 +30 is sitting a lot more inboard than the 10 +35. i didn't recall that bad of an alignment on the car. but anyway, interesting to know if josh lowers his car and problem fixed
Old 04-12-06, 11:41 PM
Bebber
Rookie

I kinda doubt that lowering my car will fix the rubbing problem. Afterall, lowering the car will not change the overall suspension geometry but will change the ride height due to the new springs and the dampening rate due to the shocks or coilover settings. Changing the ride height will not help clearance, since my wheels/tires will just rest at a lower overall position. While this position will have more camber than the factory resting position, it still maintains the factory suspension geometry and movements meaning that the camber would not be sufficient to clear the fender liner.

The only way that coilovers/shocks will help alleviate this rubbing is if they're set to such a stiff setting that the wheels/tires rarely rebound to the point where the rubbing occurs.

Well, wish me luck on Friday. I got my rims/tires from Vic at Discount Tire Centers in El Monte, and they gave me a truly excellent price with no hidden fees, and no I'm not a girl and I didn't have to compromise myself to get good service.

Let's see if Vic holds true to his word that he'll work with me and help fix my rubbing situation. If not, I'll be heading over to Wheel Options in walnut for some fender rolling.

Josh
Old 04-13-06, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually that's not correct, josh. the suspension on lexus are different from say the tl. it's fully independent and double whooshbone suspension. that means when it hits something, the whole wheel will actually goes up and tilt inward, not just straight up

and when you lower your car, the camber will keep on dialing in, meaning the top part of the wheel will keep on pointing more and more inward.

assume if you lower the car and the top of the wheel point so much inward that it actually clears the fender lip (say with no finger gap). you will be fine coz' when you hit something on the road, the wheel will continue to dial in more as the suspension compress.

what i was surprised / doubting was whether lowering the car from stock to say zero finger gap, would it have that much affect on your wheel regarding clearance.

hope this clear things up
Old 04-13-06, 06:37 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

i was taking a closer look at your pictures and it doesnt look that out of spec. I think mine would look about the same if I was at stock height. can you take a picture of it from the read like behind the back bumper so I can see all the tread of the rear tire and compare that to my car to see how bad it is.
Old 04-13-06, 07:14 AM
bt430
Pole Position

i was taking a closer look at your pictures and it doesnt look that out of spec. I think mine would look about the same if I was at stock height. can you take a picture of it from the read like behind the back bumper so I can see all the tread of the rear tire and compare that to my car to see how bad it is.
Here some different pictures for you. If I understand your idea; I should lower it until I don't have any finger space at all and then the camber should come in enough so the fender lips will not rub the sidewalls? I've got the morning off I can try it right now!!

Still rubs at this height

Top View

You can see a little camber going on here

Old 04-13-06, 07:18 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bt430
Mine was slammed with the 18 TRDs I had on it. I had to raise it to close to stock to get the rubbing to stop. I was rubbing the sidewall not the top of the fender liner. The culprit is out of spec tires so the fender lips have to go.
I don't have a measurement but it was low. The best idea I can give you is I had 3/4" of thread on the coilover between the bottom thread and the locking ring and 1" on the front. I'd have to be very careful not to bottom out. The tires never rubbed though.

BT
Old 04-13-06, 02:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

give it a try, bt. looking at your pics i don't think it's that bad. try to lower it more and see if things start to tuck in
Old 04-14-06, 01:06 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

that last picture is what I wanted, those two bands in the middle of the tire are lined up to the same area as my bumper and I am running 285's in the rear also I am tucking tire in the rear and no rubbing. 2 degrees camber
Old 04-14-06, 08:46 AM
aspguru
Driver

When the tire moves up and down with the suspension it travels on a fixed path.

yes the camber will become greater the higher it travels but if it rubs when the suspension is compressed from hitting bumps it will rub when the suspension is compressed from lowering to that same position. it does not matter if the car is moving or not.

unless of course there is deflection in any of the components when compressing the suspension while driving.

unfortunately you are going to be stuck with the rubbing unless you can create more clerance

Josh
Old 04-14-06, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by aspguru
When the tire moves up and down with the suspension it travels on a fixed path.

yes the camber will become greater the higher it travels but if it rubs when the suspension is compressed from hitting bumps it will rub when the suspension is compressed from lowering to that same position. it does not matter if the car is moving or not.

unless of course there is deflection in any of the components when compressing the suspension while driving.

unfortunately you are going to be stuck with the rubbing unless you can create more clerance

Josh
you know josh, way back when i first got my gs400 i thought the same way too, it's just about springs/shocks compressing right? but for whatever resaon, it's different. by lowering the car more you do indeed create a bit more "space" i don't know why, maybe someone can explain

that last picture is what I wanted, those two bands in the middle of the tire are lined up to the same area as my bumper and I am running 285's in the rear also I am tucking tire in the rear and no rubbing. 2 degrees camber
you guys are using the same tires?
Old 04-14-06, 05:36 PM
bt430
Pole Position

I'm confused on the camber thing. Is the additional 2 degress of camber gained from lowering the car or can an alignment shop dial it in?
Old 04-14-06, 05:40 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
you know josh, way back when i first got my gs400 i thought the same way too, it's just about springs/shocks compressing right? but for whatever resaon, it's different. by lowering the car more you do indeed create a bit more "space" i don't know why, maybe someone can explain

you guys are using the same tires?
They are dunlop sport maxx 285 30 20 on a 10.5 wheel in the rear. The wheels are 3 piece zone 3 forged .

BT

Quick Reply: rolling fenders on an SC430?