SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

rolling fenders on an SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06 | 10:18 PM
aspguru
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
you know josh, way back when i first got my gs400 i thought the same way too, it's just about springs/shocks compressing right? but for whatever resaon, it's different. by lowering the car more you do indeed create a bit more "space" i don't know why, maybe someone can explain
It doesnt matter what point on a fixed path you start, the end result is the same. It isnt possible that the suspension geometry changes because of the ride height. The upper and lower A arms control the path that the tire travels as they cycle through their range of motion. Unless those items are changing their length do to the ride height (obviously they dont do that) the tire will end up in the same position regardless of where it starts (ride height)

lowering does change the camber but no more so than hitting a bump in the road that would compress the suspension the same distance. when you lower the car all you are doing essentially is compressing the suspension, just like hitting a bump or putting 5 people in your car.

The only possible variable here would be deflection from bushings or any components that might flex when under any lateral forces present.

I hope I explained it properly.

Josh
Old 04-15-06 | 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by aspguru
It doesnt matter what point on a fixed path you start, the end result is the same. It isnt possible that the suspension geometry changes because of the ride height. The upper and lower A arms control the path that the tire travels as they cycle through their range of motion. Unless those items are changing their length do to the ride height (obviously they dont do that) the tire will end up in the same position regardless of where it starts (ride height)

lowering does change the camber but no more so than hitting a bump in the road that would compress the suspension the same distance. when you lower the car all you are doing essentially is compressing the suspension, just like hitting a bump or putting 5 people in your car.

The only possible variable here would be deflection from bushings or any components that might flex when under any lateral forces present.

I hope I explained it properly.

Josh
i know 100% what you are saying, josh, like i said that's my understanding as well and what i thought. what i can say it, while i havent' done anything special on my sc430 to clear rubbing, on my gs400 i did lower my car more and rubbing actually got less. reasn why? like i said i don't know, i am just telling facts. and the gs and sc430 they share pretty much the same suspension setup

Originally Posted by bt430
I'm confused on the camber thing. Is the additional 2 degress of camber gained from lowering the car or can an alignment shop dial it in?
when you lower the car more, you will get more camber automatically. you can have alignment shop to dial in the camber to be more negative if you want, but i dont' see the point. i would just lower the car
Old 04-18-06 | 01:13 AM
Bebber
Rookie

you know josh, way back when i first got my gs400 i thought the same way too, it's just about springs/shocks compressing right? but for whatever resaon, it's different. by lowering the car more you do indeed create a bit more "space" i don't know why, maybe someone can explain

you guys are using the same tires?

Hey Henry, I intuitively agree with this Josh, but you could be right too. It does seem that the only way to actually create more wheel clearance is to change some other suspension component/linkage, at least to me. I don't plan on lowering my car, at least not yet. But then again, I said that about my TL too.
Old 04-18-06 | 01:20 AM
Bebber
Rookie

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
i was taking a closer look at your pictures and it doesnt look that out of spec. I think mine would look about the same if I was at stock height. can you take a picture of it from the read like behind the back bumper so I can see all the tread of the rear tire and compare that to my car to see how bad it is.
my camera's battery is dead and I don't have my charger with me. At any rate, I think I found a reasonable compromise and the rubbing is diminished. Discount Tires somehow got my wheels to camber inwards (negatively) a little more. Then I took my car to the Wheel Supply in Walnut and they trimmed the fender, cut a segment out of the fender liner and glued the remainder of the fender liner to the wheel well. Now my car only rubs in rare occasions. I took my car for some Malibu canyon driving today to test it out. Handled like a dream and only rubbed at the most severe turns.

here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails rolling fenders on an SC430?-imgp7009.jpg  

Last edited by Bebber; 04-18-06 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-18-06 | 02:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Bebber
Hey Henry, I intuitively agree with this Josh, but you could be right too. It does seem that the only way to actually create more wheel clearance is to change some other suspension component/linkage, at least to me. I don't plan on lowering my car, at least not yet. But then again, I said that about my TL too.
seriously, you have to lower your car man. your car looks out of proportion now. come on anyway, i definitely hope someone who has work extensively on lexus to chime in, would love to hear what they say. all i have in hands are some facts i have come acrossed that i can't even explain.....

i am not sure if i like the idea of putting more negative camber on your wheel for no reason? you are going to introduce more camber wear and your car is not even lowered?
Old 04-18-06 | 04:47 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Here are some shots looking at almost as low as you can go showing that though you may get some camber just by dropping the car sometimes it's just not enough.

BT
Old 04-18-06 | 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

umm..... really doesn't seem like you are clearing t all.......

you have 10.5 right? what tires you have there again, and what's the exact size?

i wonder if it's coz' you get tires that are meaty causing the rub
Old 04-18-06 | 09:30 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

take off that black plastic lip that is rubbing and use a heat gun to push the fender line back. I took off that lip thing for the front on my car.
Old 04-18-06 | 08:58 PM
bt430
Pole Position

umm..... really doesn't seem like you are clearing t all.......

you have 10.5 right? what tires you have there again, and what's the exact size?

i wonder if it's coz' you get tires that are meaty causing the rub
The tires are 285 30 20 dunlop sport maxx
Old 04-18-06 | 09:00 PM
bt430
Pole Position

take off that black plastic lip that is rubbing and use a heat gun to push the fender line back. I took off that lip thing for the front on my car.
Yeah I had it off but no diff. The fenders need to be shaved or rolled.
Old 04-18-06 | 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by bt430
The tires are 285 30 20 dunlop sport maxx
umm i don't know much about the tires to know if it's meaty type or not. but maybe it's that marginal
Old 04-19-06 | 06:04 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

your so close to not rubbing it looks like if it was a tad more in it would be fine
Old 04-19-06 | 06:06 AM
bt430
Pole Position

your so close to not rubbing it looks like if it was a tad more in it would be fine
Yeah I know I was really tempted to get out the baseball bat and heat gun but I thought better of it and will take it to a professional.
Old 04-19-06 | 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

if you don't feel 100% comfortable, for sure find a shop to do it!