SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buying an SC430

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 02:52 AM
steph1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an SC430

Here is my tale....I've been looking for a used Lexus 430 for my husband for a few weeks and there are not many in Washington...We wanted a light color, low miles, regular tires (I have been reading this forum) and with a dealership CP warantee. I found just what I was looking for at a dealership in Las Vegas...saw pictures, etc. etc...the salesman guaranteed ithat it was pristine inside and out. I flew down on Saturday to pick it up and the car was a mess.....bad dings on the outside, the trunk had torn upholstery and a black greasy hand print was visible...the inside smelled like a smoker had owned the car. I was devestated....My husband is older and this is going to be his last car....I had paid for the car already...it was a dealership! I expected nothing but top-notch service and representation and had intended to ship the car to Washington, but at the last minute thought that a road trip home from Las Vegas would be fun. So there I was ...all the flights were full leaving Las Vegas for the next two days (Easter Break) the salesman I had dealt with was gone until Monday, so what to do???? On the lot was another SC 430, a year newer, lower miles and in excellent condition it seemed, Egyptian Sand, and a few thousand dollars more. So i bought it....drove it home (1300 miles) and what a beautiful car and fabulous to drive! The speakers rattle but I can have that fixed, right? and it does have the CP warrantee, but I am having nightmares about the car......I am feeling like such an idiot to have thought that a Lexus dealership is any different than any other used car situation...as my brother said "car guys are car guys"....I am worried that I have made a terrible mistake. I am so embarassed to admist my ignorance...I thought I had done all the research necessary and the car is soooooo wonderful but now I am wary of everything....and feeling like a sucker. Any feedback....?
Old 04-12-06, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to hear that story but at least you got a car you like.

and yes the rattling speaker is warranty work

welcome to cl!
Old 04-12-06, 09:34 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I had purchased my car sight unseen and figured that since it came from a Lexus Elite dealership (Lexus of Naperville) that it would be as good as the used cars I have seen at the Lexus dealerships here in San Diego, I was wrong. I had the car shipped to Cali and when I picked it up it had all sorts of things wrong with it. I learned the same lesson that you did, sorry to hear that. I guess all we can do is keep taking it back to a dealership to try to get things fixed as best as possible. I just cant see myself trading it in and losing money, especially on taxes, so I am going to keep it and try to enjoy it the best I can. I guess our lesson to remember is to never buy somethign this big used without looking at it first. Sorry...
Old 04-12-06, 10:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Buying a used car without seeing it in person is never a good idea. But the important thing is you now got a newer one that you like & is happy with, hope you & your husband will enjoy it very much. Congrats & welcome to the forum
Old 04-12-06, 12:20 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

It's a little late, but if you were going to pick up the car, your contract should have been conditioned upon your inspection. There are UCC provisions for rejection of acceptance after a reasonable time to inspect, but you took another car anyway and it sounds like every thing is fine.

As mentioned, buying anything used without inspection is pretty risky, especially with cars. I was looking for a used RX330 recently, and looked at eBay and other out of town sales, but just could never figure out how to buy something like that long distance. I could not find what I wanted locally, but did find something at a Lexus dealer about 45 miles away, which is not a bad drive to look at a car.

So now we know.

Is a warrantee anything like a manatee?
Old 04-12-06, 12:46 PM
zgxl04
Driver School Candidate

There are certified car inspectors you can hire for a few hundred dollars that can check out your car for you. You can hire them locally in the city where the car is if you cannot go there physically yourself to inspect it.
Old 04-12-06, 11:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tfischer
It's a little late, but if you were going to pick up the car, your contract should have been conditioned upon your inspection. There are UCC provisions for rejection of acceptance after a reasonable time to inspect, but you took another car anyway and it sounds like every thing is fine.

As mentioned, buying anything used without inspection is pretty risky, especially with cars. I was looking for a used RX330 recently, and looked at eBay and other out of town sales, but just could never figure out how to buy something like that long distance. I could not find what I wanted locally, but did find something at a Lexus dealer about 45 miles away, which is not a bad drive to look at a car.

So now we know.

Is a warrantee anything like a manatee?
that's very good point. if it's a new car i would definitely put down the option of backing out if the car is not what i expect

maybe i am cheap, but that's too much money for me to drop
Old 04-13-06, 12:05 AM
RGA
Rookie

steph1

Do the speakers rattle with every song or just certain songs? I only hear mines on certain songs, try adjusting the audio settings.

I know the feeling of purchasing a vehicle long distance & not even looking at it (PA. to HI). Could not sleep for 2 months. I'm fortunate, made the long distance without a scratch, and was exactly (if not more) then advertised. http://www.eimports4less.com/
Old 04-13-06, 08:05 AM
steph1
Driver School Candidate

Default Long Distance Purchase

Hi and I want to thank you all for taking the time to send info, feedback, and condolences.... this forum has been invaluable!....Now I'm looking into Zaino, clear coats, tires, mods, and who knows what else....A whole new world of car-dom,...who woulda guessed. .
Old 04-13-06, 02:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by steph1
Hi and I want to thank you all for taking the time to send info, feedback, and condolences.... this forum has been invaluable!....Now I'm looking into Zaino, clear coats, tires, mods, and who knows what else....A whole new world of car-dom,...who woulda guessed. .
very nice, get started now