SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 Tire Pressure Light Reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 09:35 AM
amymarcia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 430 Tire Pressure Light Reset

New tires (runflats) were put on the car two months ago. The dash light indicating low pressure
appeared and more air was put in. However, the light continues to stay on and the manual states a new tire should be put on. Seems the tire is fine. Is there any way to reset the indicator light? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 04-16-06, 01:45 PM
02Ku
Driver

ditto..need this bit of info on mine as well...
Ku
Old 04-16-06, 06:19 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default I heard its only a Button to press.....

I heard its only a button to press to Reset the TPS. I do not know where the button is.....i had the same predicament as you and I went to the dealer and they checked my tire pressure and then told me they "reset" the TPS and the light was gone.......

does anybody know where that button is????

thanks
Old 04-16-06, 06:55 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the tire pressure is low then just fill it up higher and it should go off. if it doesnt you can try filling it up to like 60 and bringing it back down. If that doesnt work then a TPS sensor is bad, and you need it replaced. They plug something into your OBD II connector to set the TPS sesnsors. theres no button
Old 04-17-06, 05:53 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

According to a Lexus of Orlando Tech; the 06 model now has a button under the driver dash to reset TPS. Dealers use Lexus Scantool for all other models. I think Lee may know how to reset it using a small wire in the ODBII connector. This of course asuming all sensors are functional.

Lee are you out there?
Old 04-17-06, 11:01 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Ours went away after filling it back up to 32
Old 04-19-06, 03:12 PM
rscharf
Driver

Originally Posted by rclab1
I heard its only a button to press to Reset the TPS. I do not know where the button is.....i had the same predicament as you and I went to the dealer and they checked my tire pressure and then told me they "reset" the TPS and the light was gone.......

does anybody know where that button is????

thanks
There's a button in the glove box I think. But I thought that button was for a second set of tires, (i.e. one setting for a set of tires, push in the button to the second setting for winter tires or something).

Robert
Old 04-19-06, 06:07 PM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

There is a button to allow you to switch between two sets of tire pressure sensors, in case you have two sets of wheels.

There is no button that I know of to reset the light, but in the few instances that mine came on, it went off shortly after the tire was re-inflated.

32 seems a little low. When I had the runflats, I found that 40 or even 42 was about right. Even with regular tires, I think they are at 40.
Old 04-19-06, 08:21 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

I used to have the runflats. I noticed the right front tire lost 10psi every two weeks and the light came one. I inflated to match the other tires. light went off. this lasted up to 30k miles.

I changed out the runflat w/ non-runflat michelin pilot sport A/S about three weeks ago.
Yesterday, my light came on again. I checked the same front right tire and it was less than 38psi. i filled it up to 38 and light went off.

If it's not the tire itself and I don't see any visible signs of a nail or anything, could the rim itself cause the tire to lose air pressure?

pls help....thanks.
Old 04-19-06, 10:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by teeman3
I used to have the runflats. I noticed the right front tire lost 10psi every two weeks and the light came one. I inflated to match the other tires. light went off. this lasted up to 30k miles.

I changed out the runflat w/ non-runflat michelin pilot sport A/S about three weeks ago.
Yesterday, my light came on again. I checked the same front right tire and it was less than 38psi. i filled it up to 38 and light went off.

If it's not the tire itself and I don't see any visible signs of a nail or anything, could the rim itself cause the tire to lose air pressure?

pls help....thanks.
the cut off of psi to trigger the light can't be 38psi. if so then all cars out of factory would have light on

it should be something like 25 or 28psi. 38psi is way high
Old 04-20-06, 05:43 AM
Nguy3n06
Driver School Candidate

what does it mean when the tire light blinks and beeps liek 5 times every 2 minutes or so? is it something that i would have to being to lexus to chnage the tire senor to adjust to my new tires and rims?
Old 04-20-06, 06:06 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the cut off of psi to trigger the light can't be 38psi. if so then all cars out of factory would have light on

it should be something like 25 or 28psi. 38psi is way high

I think its not a minimum but a variance in the of the PSI in the tires. I know in order to set the TPS sensors to the car each tire had to either be raised or lowered 8 PSI. So I am guessing that this type of functionality might also be the same for triggering the light. IE a large difference in PSI between the tires.
Old 04-20-06, 06:06 AM
tfischer

TEEMAN:

Your air loss problem sounds to me like bad valve stems.

I once got new tires on a car and some of the tires would slowly leak.

Finally the dealer looked at it and said that the new tires did not have new valve stems (I guess the first crew was in a hurry or something). He replaced all 4 valve stems for free in about 20 minutes and I've had no problems since.

Of course, there are other causes for slow leaks, including bad seating between tire and wheel, so it could be any number of things, and I'm still not really sure what a value stem is, but a tire place can dip the tire in soapy water (or some variation), add lots of pressure and spot the source of the leak pretty quickly.
Old 04-20-06, 06:26 AM
tfischer

Tony suggests that "I think its not a minimum but a variance in the of the PSI in the tires."

This is not accurate. The tire pressure sensors on an SC read the absolute tire pressure in each tire, and signal when the pressure drops below a set level, which seems to be at about 27 or 28 psi.

On some cars, like my RX, the tire pressure sensing system reads the relative tire pressures and signals when one is lower than the others. I think that it derives this information from tire rotation readings rather than from tire pressure sensors, but I'm not sure about that. I do know that in the RX system, if all 4 tires drop in pressure at the same time and the same rate, which is highly unlikely, no sensor will be triggered. If that happened on an SC, the light would come on.

Finally, the differential has to be pretty great. I had 3 tires on my RX at 32 (normal for that car) and one at about 18, and I could tell by looking at it that it was low, but no light. When I later mentioned this to the service manager and asked why the light did not come on, he said that was not low enough.

So as far as I can tell, the SC lights come on sooner than most of us would like, and the RX lights don't come on soon enough to give me any adequate warning.

Keep a good gauge on hand and check them yourself from time to time.
Old 04-21-06, 02:05 PM
rscharf
Driver

Originally Posted by Nguy3n06
what does it mean when the tire light blinks and beeps liek 5 times every 2 minutes or so? is it something that i would have to being to lexus to chnage the tire senor to adjust to my new tires and rims?
I think the car is giving you a code. You probably need to take it in for service.

If you look at the following service bulletin (on page 1 in the red box) it refers to a 'DTC No.' indicated by flashing of the tire pressure warning light:

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...2/pg006l01.pdf

Hope this helps.

Robert

Quick Reply: SC 430 Tire Pressure Light Reset