Bad noises, please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 06:14 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad noises, please advise.

Hi Guyz,

Sorry to make a new thread, but I have 2 wierd/bad noises that I wondered if anyone else has or had.

1.) Clicking noise when braking at low speeds (When I pull out of my gagrage each morning I have to almost do a 3-point turn and I hear little clicking coming underneath the car every time I brake and turn). I do have H&R springs and 20" wheels but it seems to be exactly clicking when I brake.

2. Buzzing or humming sound inside car. (This only happens when I am driving home from work after parking outside all day and is audible when my stereo is both on or off. It is a constant buzz and seems like it could be related to the air conditioning maybe?)

Has anyone else faced these problems? I dont know much about cars. I bought this car last year, as a 2002 CPO from a Lexus dealer Illinois and had it shipped to Cali. It has 31k miles now.

I hope we can determine it, it will be fixed for free, and that buying this car was a good decison even though I probably made a bad call getting it from the East Coast. Please offer any suggestions, I do have a appointment to take a test drive with the service manager at Lexus Kearny Mesa Wednesday and hope to hear the noises with him.

Thank so much, Mike.
Old 04-17-06, 11:00 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Had it happen to our old Acura, which was in an accident. Not saying that's what happened to yours, but that's my experience. No problem w/ wife's SC430 though.
Old 04-18-06, 08:17 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

From what I know, there have been no accidents. Anyone else have these noises?
Old 04-18-06, 09:09 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Clicking sound from the front could be a few things. More commonly on all Lexus's with their 2 piece caliper design are low brake pads which allows more movement of the pieces and they often times click click click especially when reversing/braking/going forward and braking slowly.
Other items may be loose ball joint , brake hardware,etc…
Old 04-18-06, 09:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Clicking sound from the front could be a few things. More commonly on all Lexus's with their 2 piece caliper design are low brake pads which allows more movement of the pieces and they often times click click click especially when reversing/braking/going forward and braking slowly.
Other items may be loose ball joint , brake hardware,etc…
yeah i wonder if it could be ball joints? but if you don't have high miles, i wonder. brake pads could be one reason too, but that's if you are braking and put the car between R and D

and maybe you can check on the springs too to see if they are seated correctly
Old 04-18-06, 09:48 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the clicking sound you describe, but I do get a loud "click" the first time I use the brakes after sitting for a few hours. There is literally only It is only one "click", and I think someone on this forum said it was the brake pads adjusting initially.

The other buzzing sound is somewhat familiar, but I only have it when I apply the brakes and it is not constant. It is a very faint humming or buzzing sound, and I can only hear it when the radio is off because it is that soft. Again, it is only when I apply the brakes and for about one second after releasing.

Sorry, this probably doesn't help you much.
Old 04-18-06, 11:28 AM
kleef
Rookie

I have noticed recently a slightly buzz sound too, and if i shut off the ventilation system (usually on AUTO), it goes away. Have you tried this? I figure there is a small something (leaf or something) in there. Also i have buzzing in the wood side panels when the stereo is on with significant bass. I took mine into Lexus Kearny Mesa for that problem. They put insulation in the panels and tightened fasteners, but the "buzz" is still there, albeit less. Incidentally, the technician claimed he couldn't hear the buzz. I should have brought the manager out i guess to hear it. Enya showed it off quite well.
Old 04-18-06, 12:03 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

As I stated above it sounds like those brake pads. The lower they go, the more noise they make on that initial brake.

That humming sound could very well be the brake ABS system pressurizing. Very common on Lexus's and especially if your brakes are low and/or needs bleeding.
Do this, lift the hood prior to turning on the car. Turn on the car and press the brake pedal. Now go out to see if the noise is coming from the brake master cylinder area located against the firewall in the engine compartment opposite of the steering wheel.

Hope that helps
Lee
Old 04-18-06, 03:05 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks for the replys guys,

The buzzing noise and the clicking noises are totally separate. The buzzing noise is just constantly going sometimes when I am driving and seems to have nohting to do with braking or accelarating. I hope to hear the noises when I take it in tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-20-06, 08:48 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I went on a test drive with a service manager at a Lexus dealership but unfortunatley neither of the noises happened so we didnt really accomplish anything. I think that the clicking might just be my brakes adjusting and that I am going to have to look into the buzzing sound more someday. It still keeps happening when I drive home after my car has been in the sun all day with or without the AC on or radio, but the dealership said they would fix it if it was bad. I guess I am just happy that nothing is really wrong with it for now.
Old 04-20-06, 08:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

On the buzzing try changing your AC fan speed (including OFF) to see if the sound changes and/or goes away
Old 04-22-06, 11:59 AM
mmaloy
Driver

Exclamation Bad noises----Not bad, totally normal.

[SIZE=5][SIZE=3]Dude, the noise from the brakes is totally normal and is only due to the pads of the front brakes "floating" in the calipers. As you apply the brakes over time to your destination, they will expand and will no longer move in the caliper. This is done so the pads don't heat up and wear faster on the rotors. They will only click when first driven and the pads are cool and even then only when you change from reverse and apply the brakes and then forward and apply the brakes. The "buzzing" sound is most likely the rear fuel pump located behind the back seat that is way loud and will even continue when you shut the car down with the key in the accessary position for about 5 seconds or so. All totally normal[/SIZE][/SIZE].
Originally Posted by sc430mike
Hi Guyz,

Sorry to make a new thread, but I have 2 wierd/bad noises that I wondered if anyone else has or had.

1.) Clicking noise when braking at low speeds (When I pull out of my gagrage each morning I have to almost do a 3-point turn and I hear little clicking coming underneath the car every time I brake and turn). I do have H&R springs and 20" wheels but it seems to be exactly clicking when I brake.

2. Buzzing or humming sound inside car. (This only happens when I am driving home from work after parking outside all day and is audible when my stereo is both on or off. It is a constant buzz and seems like it could be related to the air conditioning maybe?)

Has anyone else faced these problems? I dont know much about cars. I bought this car last year, as a 2002 CPO from a Lexus dealer Illinois and had it shipped to Cali. It has 31k miles now.

I hope we can determine it, it will be fixed for free, and that buying this car was a good decison even though I probably made a bad call getting it from the East Coast. Please offer any suggestions, I do have a appointment to take a test drive with the service manager at Lexus Kearny Mesa Wednesday and hope to hear the noises with him.

Thank so much, Mike.
Old 04-22-06, 01:08 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks! I am so relieved to know this.

Thanks, Mike.

Originally Posted by mmaloy
[SIZE=5][SIZE=3]Dude, the noise from the brakes is totally normal and is only due to the pads of the front brakes "floating" in the calipers. As you apply the brakes over time to your destination, they will expand and will no longer move in the caliper. This is done so the pads don't heat up and wear faster on the rotors. They will only click when first driven and the pads are cool and even then only when you change from reverse and apply the brakes and then forward and apply the brakes. The "buzzing" sound is most likely the rear fuel pump located behind the back seat that is way loud and will even continue when you shut the car down with the key in the accessary position for about 5 seconds or so. All totally normal[/SIZE][/SIZE].
Old 04-23-06, 11:04 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I would not exactly call it normal though unlikely to cause any problems if it is the brakes.
As stated Mike, pads are low and/or hardware is loose. The 2 pc calipers are prone to noise like this on the first application once wore but I am one that does not care for a ,"clunk" from the front end. How many here that purchased their SC new heard this noise backing out of the dealership? None? Me personally I would jack her up and inspect those components.