SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I just got a ticket yesterday in SF for not having a front plate. 100$ ouch ouch!!!!
holy crap.... it's not a fix ticket anymore? sorry to hear tha tman
Old 04-26-06, 10:23 AM
bowsercake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Supra has been in California for over 16 years and it has never had a front plate on it. never. The holes were never even drilled for the mount.
Old 04-26-06, 01:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
I just got a ticket yesterday in SF for not having a front plate. 100$ ouch ouch!!!!
That's a lot of bread for a "minor" infraction. Sorry to hear. He or she could'nt give you a warning?
Old 04-26-06, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bowsercake
My Supra has been in California for over 16 years and it has never had a front plate on it. never. The holes were never even drilled for the mount.
that only means you are very lucky
Old 05-12-06, 05:39 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in NY (requires front plates) on the PA (does not) border, so there are a lot of cars around here without front plates. When I picked up my car in 2001, my dealer asked my permission to mount the bracket. I declined and have been riding around without a front plate since day one.

I was never stopped for it and was asked about it only once. There was a traffic check on my main road to civilization - state troopers in the northbound lane, county sheriffs in the southbound. The trooper said, "Better get a plate on the front." I replied, "You're not going to make me drill holes in this beautiful new car, are you?" He just laughed and waved me on.

On the way home, I had to stop at the sheriff's checkpoint. All the deputies wanted to know was what kind of car it was while they oohed and aahed over it. If any of them noticed the plate missing, they didn't mention it. Hell, I'll bet if I had a body in the back seat, they wouldn't have noticed that either.

Actually, it wouldn't bother me to mount a front plate if only I could find a bracket that fit the car. That thing Lexus provides makes it look like the car has a hanging tongue.
Old 05-12-06, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hahha one of the funniest analogy ever

so i guess the sc430 is a great car for transporting bodies, just a matter of how many
Old 05-12-06, 02:35 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya you could maybeeee fit like a leg or a torso but a whole body in the back? Its funny how the guys in Gray are so strict but the county guys are nicer.

FYI NYST wears Gray because they arent not good(white) and they arent bad(black). now im not referring to skin color but to the colors of the old westerns with the cowboys. the NYST website is where i found that information. Now as far as purple ties and such...i can only guess its to keep in touch with their feminine side.

Now that you said you havent gotten a ticket for no front plate, if you want one come to my town the cops here are becoming real ball busters.
Old 05-13-06, 04:24 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, jest hold on for a goldang second thar, podnuh.

Lash LaRue (L) and the Durango Kid (R) were "good guys" and both wore black. What's more, when he assumed his Durango Kid persona, he even wore a mask!
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate-inblack.jpg  
Old 05-14-06, 07:39 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Just got stopped by a very nice female trooper up in Door County in WI. I was speeding 40 in a 25 (believe it or not unintentionally) and she also wrote me up for not having a front plate. Both were warnings that I have to sign and send in as being fixed for the plate at least. First mention by a cop for no front plate since I got the car. Any mounts out there that don't require you to drill a hole in this lovely vehicle?
Old 05-15-06, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bjoraker
Just got stopped by a very nice female trooper up in Door County in WI. I was speeding 40 in a 25 (believe it or not unintentionally) and she also wrote me up for not having a front plate. Both were warnings that I have to sign and send in as being fixed for the plate at least. First mention by a cop for no front plate since I got the car. Any mounts out there that don't require you to drill a hole in this lovely vehicle?
nop, no mounts at all, i have looked at the bumper design in detials and i haven't figured out a good way to put on license plate without any holes
Old 07-26-06, 07:02 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Default Fix It Ticket

Hi guys,

I just got pulled over today by a cop for not having my front plate. He wants me to fix it or else I have to go to court. I think it was all because I was on my cell phone too long and he didnt appreciate that. The first thing he did was come right up to my window and make sure that I didnt steal the car, or that it was my Dad's car, hater!

I just wanted to see if there are any new ideas out there for avoiding drilling those holes. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and put that thing on to keep them off my back. Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-06, 07:32 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't know how to affix a plate to the front of the car without drilling holes. I think if you want to put on the plate, you have to drill the holes, as nothing else will hold the plate on tightly enough.

I have no holes on the front of my SC, but my RX (bought used) came with a front plate bracket. I took it off a month or two and never got around to putting it back on, since the car looks so nice without it.

As for the holes, I got "bumperplugs" from www.bumperplugs.com which makes them mostly for Porsches, but also has them in colors for most cars. So if you add the plate bracket and then later remove it, this is a nice way to deal with the screw holes. The plugs look factory installed, and are not as distracting as you would think, and they pop out again if you want to add the plate back onto the car.

While I was at it, I also got the keyhole plugs for both my SC and RX, and that is a very nice touch indeed.

Highly recommended.
Old 07-26-06, 07:38 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tfischer
I don't know how to affix a plate to the front of the car without drilling holes. I think if you want to put on the plate, you have to drill the holes, as nothing else will hold the plate on tightly enough.

I have no holes on the front of my SC, but my RX (bought used) came with a front plate bracket. I took it off a month or two and never got around to putting it back on, since the car looks so nice without it.

As for the holes, I got "bumperplugs" from www.bumperplugs.com which makes them mostly for Porsches, but also has them in colors for most cars. So if you add the plate bracket and then later remove it, this is a nice way to deal with the screw holes. The plugs look factory installed, and are not as distracting as you would think, and they pop out again if you want to add the plate back onto the car.

While I was at it, I also got the keyhole plugs for both my SC and RX, and that is a very nice touch indeed.

Highly recommended.

Thanks. That is a great solution to fill the holes. Now I have to decide whether to drill the holes myself or take it to the dealer?

Old 07-26-06, 08:52 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

First of all, I had an sc400 for 6 years with no plate and i got pulled over twice for no plate in texas and both times he gave me a warning, all you got to do is tell them it fell off, etc. Now i have an sc430 and the first thing i did was take off the front plate, but it left those ugly holes there. You can check out the forum, i looked everywhere to see how to get rid of the holes, and bumperplugs were just not my cup of tea... especially at $40. I went to a lex dealership and bribed a shop foreman to fill it for me for $60 cash, and he repainted the entire front bumper to new. looks hot!
Old 07-26-06, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry to hear that mike, that sux..... but nothing much you can do. i have been thinking about how to put the plate on without holes, so far no luck at all yet maybe you can just use double sided tape together with zip ties, and just remove them afterwards?

Quick Reply: Front License Plate