SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal Pedals Installed w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 03:31 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Well, well, guess what came from Fedex....my Motor Sports Pads!
Attached Thumbnails Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-pads-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-13-11, 03:33 PM
mandyfig

So guys, let me see how to do this DIY. Please chip in. I do not have my angled drill yet but I can certainly install the pad NOW.

Please see PIC:
Attached Thumbnails Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-pads-diy-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-13-11, 05:21 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Because of the vertical holes in the ebrake, you won't be able to drill into the metal pedal (though if you find a way PLEASE let me know). I think you'll have to resort to huy33's solution, which I think I'll try.
Old 01-13-11, 05:28 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a pilot either, it isn't that criticial. Don't forget the monkey pee (lubrication WD40 or whatever). I'm surprised they aren't on yet. What are you waiting for, warm weather, the snow to melt. lol I also cheated as far as for marking, I used the drill and just started drilling to mark the pedals, then removed the covers and continued the drilling process. Good luck and Happy Drilling. It's 8:30 so I guess they are already on. So where are the pictures already! lol
Old 01-13-11, 05:32 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Antigeek, it took some doing to get the holes lined up so they didn't interfere with the e-brake support before drilling, but it can be done. The real test was getting the washer and the nut on afterwards, now that was a bear, but it can be done. Honest!
Old 01-13-11, 06:01 PM
mandyfig

For the pad: No pilot holes, screw directly, use monkey grease.

I will hold off on the gas, brake and parking brake. I will take home the angled drill tomorrow.

Now I get it, the parking brake's holes line up with the bracket. What did you guys end up doing?
Old 01-13-11, 06:26 PM
mandyfig

For the E brake, my plan is to just simply glue in the pad to the rubber and also glue in the head of the bolt to cover the holes. The pad's curvature is close to the rubber pad and will lend it self to a good bond. The pad should be glued in and clamped directly to the rubber pad. BTW that rubber pad is a beatch to remove and re-install.
Attached Thumbnails Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-glue3-medium-.jpg   Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-glue-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-13-11, 06:27 PM
mandyfig

I am sure somebody's done the glueing, right?
Old 01-13-11, 06:31 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Antigeek, it took some doing to get the holes lined up so they didn't interfere with the e-brake support before drilling, but it can be done. The real test was getting the washer and the nut on afterwards, now that was a bear, but it can be done. Honest!
I did look at this option. I am pretty sure 1 bolt will clear, the upper one. The lower one is the beatch. You also have to move the pad to the extreme left and down to clear the bracket.

It is freeking cold in my garage. I am defering this for tomorrow.
Old 01-13-11, 06:57 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I am sure somebody's done the glueing, right?
I did think about the glue-ing idea but I was afraid over the years, the screw might fall off one day and I won't be able to find it. I don't a cyclop e-brake.
Old 01-13-11, 07:40 PM
mandyfig

huy33, I am going to go for what you did on the ebrake. What the heck was I thinking glueing the pad. Bolt it to the rubber and re-install, done.

Now to the brake and gas.

Still onthe fence regarding the dead pad, tape or screw into the carpet, or both perhaps? To make sure the pad is solidly in place. Again where will it go anyway, you just want this to be your foot rest.
Old 01-13-11, 09:32 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Still onthe fence regarding the dead pad, tape or screw into the carpet, or both perhaps? To make sure the pad is solidly in place. Again where will it go anyway, you just want this to be your foot rest.
I had the same skepticism, but mine has held without the slightest wiggle. The screws don't feel like they screw into anything solid, but it has NEVER moved. I can't explain why, but it's a safe decision.
Old 01-14-11, 04:38 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

You guys are talking glue, not for me but there is always more ways to skin a cat. There is no right or wrong way as long as the pedals are installed and you like the way they look. Glue? Don't know what kind you are talking about. How about a clear silicone, or black if you can find any, if you are going the glue route. IMHO I would try the drilling first, if that doesn't work then you can always redo with silicone (glue). Let us know what worked out the best for "youseguys" (from north of the Mason-Dixion Line) yuall for those south of it.
Old 01-14-11, 05:51 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
You guys are talking glue, not for me but there is always more ways to skin a cat. There is no right or wrong way as long as the pedals are installed and you like the way they look. Glue? Don't know what kind you are talking about. How about a clear silicone, or black if you can find any, if you are going the glue route. IMHO I would try the drilling first, if that doesn't work then you can always redo with silicone (glue). Let us know what worked out the best for "youseguys" (from north of the Mason-Dixion Line) yuall for those south of it.
You hit right where it matters. Yes, we from the south, it is either duct tape of glue....LOL!

You are right, drill, drill and if it does not work, I will use huy33's screw it on the rubber deal and be doen with it.

I agree, to be consistent all pads must be attached to bare steel (in the gas, plastic).

I am screwed I am working SAT to make up for down time and that pisses me off. There is Sunday!
Old 01-14-11, 07:56 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Sorry to hear that you have to work Saturday, to make up. Try and be careful, and keep your mind on your work, not installing the pedals, they will still be there when you get to them, but you won't be able to get to them if you get hurt at work.

Quick Reply: Metal Pedals Installed w/pics