SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal Pedals Installed w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 03:28 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question..We pursched the same kit for our sc430 '02

The gas pedal seems to be 100% plastic...with no removable cover...do you drill and mount the new kit right over the existing pedaL? Bob
Old 12-26-09, 04:05 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, they look great, definitely better than our oem ! Thanks for sharing the pics and info.
Old 12-26-09, 05:19 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Regarding the gas pedal. Yes. And, as Pearlpower mentioned in the very first post ... it is easier to install it removed from the car. I can attest to difficulty maneuvering a drill in the footwell space, unless you have a very small one.

But if you're looking for bang for the buck mods, the medal pedals and LED lighting are tremendous improvements.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-26-09 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-26-09, 06:24 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember drilling the two holes in the ebrake pedal a bit off-center to make it sit properly. Nobody can tell that it's not exactly centered but me. Also, one of the screws that went into the deadpedal had nothing to bite on, so I just left it, and it hasn't budged since..... and that was a good two years ago. The only negative regarding these pedals is when I wear my snowboots (LIKE NOW!) and I occasionally catch the edge of one of the pedals with the bottom of my boot and have to lift my foot a half-inch higher to be on top of the pedal. No biggie; overall a great mod.
Old 12-26-09, 07:30 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

PearlPower-you are the master-I am just a pupil! Thanks to you I tried this mod and you have inspired so many of us to do things with the SC.

Bob (AZ)-yes, IntDiamond and VVTIBob mentioned two things I discovered as well about the gas and e-brake. The eBrake may not be perfect. In my opinion I think the one nut/bolt/washer is plenty secured very tightly, and then the other hole is so close to the side of the metal pedal that when you put the nut/bolt/washer in that one, even though it is not through the below pedal, it rubs right against it and helps secures it from moving side to side. My has never moved and I have tested it with boots on and stomped on it a few times---again, unless you use the ebrake all the time, you or anyone else will probably never notice. I would def. put the second screw in though for aesthetics and balance.

My clumsy and fat hands and big drill mad it super fun for the gas pedal. I quickly looked at the pin with the mirror and decided that I would push the gas pedal down to the floor drill right into it. It is perfectly tight and aligned nicely. No probs there.

Take pics and share please!
Old 03-08-10, 07:49 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Well...here you go...project for you! Do you and your dad's new LS at once!

They are on eBay for $59 plus shipping...$74 total. Very nice, inexpensive upgrade. Great quality on the pedals...MUCH MUCH MUCH better than those PepBoys or Autozone generic medal pedals for $10! LOL Plus the logo is awesome too, especially with a black car!
Did you get these from the seller Mur-1155 located in China?

mur-1155 link

Want to get them but want to make sure all is ligit with him. gummysource is no longer selling them.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-10, 09:55 AM
VVTiBob

I got mine from him...I have photos in my signature link.
Old 03-09-10, 02:33 PM
scdroptop

No, my seller had better feedback and the total $ wasn't the same. I'll see if I can dig it up in my eBay history.

***Update: My guy was this seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/j2b_parts/

They are not offering them right now. It was $64 total shipped to me and no problems.

Not sure on the others...I would dig into the feedback and make sure there are no negatives on these particular items just to be sure.
Old 03-09-10, 08:09 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys!
Old 03-14-10, 09:39 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally got around to installing my kit I got from eBay.
However, a couple of issues maybe the community could help me with.

1. The metal screws for the dead pedal connect to something, but not solidly. I didn't even have to drill, since they're not that long. Or is that what I'm missing?

2. The emergency brake pedal I received has vertical screw holes, not angular ones. However, check out the holes in the rubber. Interesting.

I was able to drill an appropriate hole, but I can't get the nut in place because the hole is where the the pedal is welded at a "corner". If I could only remove the e-brake so I could grind away some of it for just a little room.
Suggestions? If I can get a pic, I will see what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-e-brake1.jpg   Metal Pedals Installed w/pics-e-brake2.jpg  
Old 03-15-10, 09:43 AM
VVTiBob

I'm attaching the instructions on how to remove and reinstall the parking brake assembly. Personally I would not grind down the back of pedal. Doing so reduces the strength of the structure that may lead to a failure when force is applied.
But I'm not your mom, so here is the file.

I ran into this same problem and decided it was more prudent to leave it as the manufacturer designed it. Regarding the foot rest or "dead pedal" that is exactly how mine install and it's never been a problem.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
parking brake.pdf (83.4 KB, 494 views)
Old 03-15-10, 02:29 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

First -- thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I ran into this same problem and decided it was more prudent to leave it as the manufacturer designed it.
Good luck.
I agree on not modifying a support, but I can't see moving the pedal cover up any higher.
I'm thinking if I can just get enough to get the (tiny) nut in place, it'll be a minimal impact.
Old 12-27-10, 08:48 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone drive without shoes on? It looks great but I'm trying to see how comfortable it is.

Yes I know it's illegal to drive without shoes
Old 12-27-10, 08:51 PM
scdroptop

huy-papparazzi drive anyway they can to get a good pic!
Old 12-28-10, 03:48 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got around to installing my kit I got from eBay.
However, a couple of issues maybe the community could help me with.

1. The metal screws for the dead pedal connect to something, but not solidly. I didn't even have to drill, since they're not that long. Or is that what I'm missing?

2. The emergency brake pedal I received has vertical screw holes, not angular ones. However, check out the holes in the rubber. Interesting.

I was able to drill an appropriate hole, but I can't get the nut in place because the hole is where the the pedal is welded at a "corner". If I could only remove the e-brake so I could grind away some of it for just a little room.
Suggestions? If I can get a pic, I will see what I can do.

Antigeek I must have gotten the same setup, had the same problems. I also had a hard time getting the right alignment for holes on the brake pedal. You can get a decent alignment if you favor one side, but not too much. I think I favored the inside of the pedal (toward the other pedals), try different ways. It was a bear getting the washer and nut on the back side but it can be done. Too bad they didn't have the holes in the metal cover like they did in the rubber. Don't forget to use some cutting fluid (I used WD40 for a lack of something better) Good luck

Quick Reply: Metal Pedals Installed w/pics