SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Metal Pedals Installed w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 07:47 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice huy! It's amazing how they transform the floor of your SC. I love the way they feel (shoes on for me)...looks especially nice with those PB mats!
Old 01-09-11, 08:26 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Finally got them on after a good hour. It helps a lot if you're only 5'4

Here are some tricks/tips that I didn't see:

- Have a cold Dr.Pepper ready and one in the fridge for when you're done. You can use beer if you want.

- Use a clamp but don't forget to tape off the tips so you don't scratch anything. Clamp the aluminum pedals so that you can use one hand for the drill and the other hand to push the pedals down.

- You can use an empty soup can instead of a 2x4 since they're about the same size.

- E-Brake is the hardest one to do. I actually took off the default rubber e-brake and fastened the aluminum on that one first. You want to widen the hole on the underside of the default rubber e-brake and then dremel the protruding screw off to where it's flush. Now just put the default rubber e-brake with the aluminum pedal back on to the metal e-brake.

- You will need a 90 degree hand drill for the top two brake screws. I thought I could do it without one but I was way wrong. I only got the bottom two screws on the aluminum brake pedal and will need to borrow/buy the 90 degree hand drill.

Great tips. Good note on the brake top screws. How did everybosy else do it? Will it help if somebopdy was pushing down the brake and a regular dril can sneak in and do the job?
Old 01-09-11, 10:01 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually tried pushing down on it even with the clamp. The drill I had couldn't get the top two.

It's funny that no one has mentioned the e-brake looking not centered. It's actually centered but it's on top of the previous OEM plastic pedal and I was taking the picture from the side
Old 01-09-11, 10:58 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed the rubber pedal covers from both the brake and the e-brake pedals before drilling the holes. Now that you have the holes what about taking the covers off and removing the rubber cover then replace the new covers. Me bad, I did use some wood working clamps, also used tape. The tape worked better. I also just marked the holes and then removed the covers and then drilled the holes. MDPuff used a 2x4 and his seat to depress the brake pedal. I was lucky I have an angle drill, was that wasn't a problem.
They do look good, most people aren't going to see the pedals, plus the ones that do probably won't notice the e-brake anyway.
Old 01-09-11, 03:38 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
I removed the rubber pedal covers from both the brake and the e-brake pedals before drilling the holes. Now that you have the holes what about taking the covers off and removing the rubber cover then replace the new covers.
I did that for the brake pedal but I didn't drill any holes on the e-brake. For the e-brake, I drilled the holes onto the rubber piece, widened the hole on the underside, added the screw, washer, etc, and then put the rubber pedals back onto the e-brake.

I was afraid that the vibration from the drilling on the e-brake would tear up the welding since it's such a small piece. The weld was done on a vertical line and our holes on the aluminum pedals are also vertical so I'll be drilling right into it. Now if our holes on the aluminum pedals are horizontal than I would have just drilled.
Old 01-09-11, 07:10 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, now I understand how you got the e-brake pedal installed (reading -- what a concept!).

I have one of these -- it worked for me. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...uck-92188.html
Old 01-09-11, 08:49 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

I better find out where I can borrow an angled drill!
Old 01-09-11, 09:47 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I'm not nearby!
There are 2 Harbor Freight Tools stores in GA (Lilburn and Kennesaw).
Hope that helps.

In case you consider it, decide against the flexible drill bit extension. They suck -- they just bind.
Old 01-10-11, 09:28 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

I frequent the one close at Kennesaw. They have recurring 20% off coupons. Can not beat that.

I invest on one time use tools. Saves a ton of time and aggravation.
Old 01-10-11, 03:58 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by antigeek
Ah, now I understand how you got the e-brake pedal installed (reading -- what a concept!).

I have one of these -- it worked for me. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...uck-92188.html
Sweet, there's a harbor freight store by my house so I'm going to swing by there and grab one this weekend.
Old 01-10-11, 09:49 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Hope to get the pedals this week. I am itching for another DIY.
Old 01-12-11, 10:37 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

My set in ATL (Fedex). Hope to get it before the weekend. But with them shutting down the last 2 days, it will be tight. I can not wait to try all the tips in installing the pads.

Has somebody done this without the use of an angled drill? I remember reading most of you did it w/o the angled drill. Harder but doable?
Old 01-12-11, 11:07 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think MDPUFF did it. Also the only one that might be a bear is the brake pedal. The e-brake you can always engage it to do the drilling. Hey if your RX is four wheel drive, why don't you just drive on over there and pick them up. lol Another possibility might be to rent one from an auto place (Auto Zone or the like) or from Loew's/ Home Depot, or maybe a local hardware store. Just a thought. Good luck and hope that they come today, hope your garage is heated.
Old 01-12-11, 12:08 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

I have 2 1500 watt heaters blasting away. The garage is my kingdom. Ended up changing oil on the SC and RX. Kept me busy for a while. But got cabin fever pretty quickly. Happy am out today!
Old 01-13-11, 10:18 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Fedex has my pedals scheduled for delivery today! And I have an angled drill source, he'll let me use it for the weekend. Awesome!

Quick Reply: Metal Pedals Installed w/pics