SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

antenna questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 09:27 PM
rbsdvm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna questions

I have a 2002 SC430 and just had XM installed. The receiver fit nicely into the ash tray gap, so I can still close the door. It is wired into the radio - the installer tried to use a new system that can integrate totally but it didn't work with the '02 (apparently it was made for the newer model). But it works wonderfully and I can still use the steering wheel controls for volume. My question concerns the antenna. Is there a way I can listen to XM without the car antenna coming up? I have heard that if you turn off the RDS it can be done but only if you are using the cd or cassette player. I tend to think my only option would be to remove the antenna, which would be fine, since I never listen to regular radio. Has anyone done this, and if so, how could I plug the opening from which the antenna arises?
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-30-06, 06:10 PM
SC430_OZ
Driver School Candidate

Had the local stereo shop install a small switch to control the aerial up and down. Hardly listen to radio so its mostly in the off position. Looks so much better with it down.
Old 05-01-06, 10:02 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Hello,

Can you please clarify what you had done, did you have a switch installed so that you control if the antenna goes up or down? I want to make it so that my antenna never goes up, any suggestions? I am worried that a local stereo shop might mess up my system and I hope to find someone who has already done this so I will be safe.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by SC430_OZ
Had the local stereo shop install a small switch to control the aerial up and down. Hardly listen to radio so its mostly in the off position. Looks so much better with it down.
Old 05-01-06, 03:11 PM
SC430_OZ
Driver School Candidate

The switch just stops the antenna from going up. The switch was wired into the antenna out wire from the back of the stereo. Most stereos have this wire. Most don't put the aerial up unless the radio is selected, the SC430 stereo appeared to put it up no matter what was playing (here in Australia anyway). It was a simple job, was charged AUS$30 for the service.

I'm sure if you are keen you could get it wired up to the motor itself so that you could stop it where ever you wanted. I have a 2003 landcruiser with a factory switch that allows for the antenna to be raised and lowered to the desired height, so it must be possible. Don't really see the point on the SC430. Would rather listen to CD's anyday.
Old 05-03-06, 09:24 PM
rbsdvm
Driver School Candidate

Hello, again...
I talked to my Lexus dealer and was told that they can disable the motor for the antenna. They say it is not difficult but they have to remove the lining in the trunk to get at it. I plan to have it done tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-03-06, 10:28 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Default 2006 sc430

My antenna only goes up with the radio , not the cd or tape player

2006 sc430
Old 05-04-06, 05:17 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GEE-BEE
My antenna only goes up with the radio , not the cd or tape player

2006 sc430
Yeah my 06 does the same thing and I think my 05 did also?
Old 05-04-06, 05:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys guys the attenna will go up with either radio or CD when the RDS function is turned on, if you turn it off then the attenna will only go up with the radio, but then you wont get text support. The removing of the trunk liner stuff is I believe they are going to unplug the motor. I think a switch sounds like a better idea. Just hold the RDS button until it goes off. I believe its for 2002-2004 only
Old 05-05-06, 10:04 PM
rbsdvm
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from the Lexus dealer and, yes, they did access the antenna by removing the trunk liner and unplugging the motor, then putting the liner back. This suits my needs perfectly since I only use my XM, which, of course, has it's own antenna. The car's antenna can be returned to function in reverse order.
Old 05-05-06, 11:33 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

How much $ did that cost? I would really like to know...

thanks, Mike.

Originally Posted by rbsdvm
Just got back from the Lexus dealer and, yes, they did access the antenna by removing the trunk liner and unplugging the motor, then putting the liner back. This suits my needs perfectly since I only use my XM, which, of course, has it's own antenna. The car's antenna can be returned to function in reverse order.
Old 05-13-06, 01:52 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

How much did that cost at your dealer? Thanks.

Originally Posted by rbsdvm
Old 05-14-06, 12:12 AM
rbsdvm
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Mike... The dealer did not charge me specifically to unplug the antenna. The car was there anyway so they could replace my runflat tires with some Continental Ultra High Performance All Season (which, of course, made a HUGE difference is riding comfort and noise reduction), and they performed the antenna service at the same time. They said that it was quick so I don't expect they would have to charge more than a single hour rate for service, since no parts were needed. Anyway, they charged me 200.00 for the tires change. And it sure is nice being able to keep the antenna out of sight and out of mind.

Rick
Old 05-14-06, 07:03 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks Rick! I am going to get that done too, I hate that antenna.
Old 05-15-06, 06:05 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430mike
How much did that cost at your dealer? Thanks.

it cost me $0, but about 30 minutes in taking the panel off, I was in the process of taking it out anyways to run some system wires so it was easy. Reception isnt that good anymore but bareable. I believe it goes like this

take out the tire jack, take out the 3 clips attached to the plastic tire jack holding on the right side. Pop out the right floor panel ( thats where my first aid kit was located).

Unbolt the 10 mm for the hook at the back of the trunk (IE where the spare tire should go)
also take out the clips attached to it from the right side.

Take out the two 10 mm bolts that holds the trunk cover that you pull out so the convertable top can come down.

unscrew the cargo net hanger clip with your hand by turning it.

take out the plastic on the back of the trunk that says lexus on it.

pull out the liner in the back somewhat so you can take off the plastic covering the liner.

Behind there there is 1 plug that sits under the attenna just unplug it. and your done
Old 05-15-06, 01:38 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks Tony- I am going to try that some time this week.

Quick Reply: antenna questions