SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 10:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad to see that you are back up and running again.
Old 11-19-17, 04:15 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Update on Remote/Key Issue

Cannot make it up, lol After another week of flawless Remote/Key operation, I must have a Saturday Gremlin, Remote does not open or close doors. Also dome light stays on again. Also noticed this time the control display stays on, it is on and shows the time.

I decide to disconnect my battery for 30 minutes..........The Dome and Control Display then went off. Hooked her back up, open and closed door, now at least the dome goes off and control display did not light up! Something is confused, I also checked my Door Switches, they work.

Tried multiple times to program the key again, I get to the point where the locks cycle but the Key/Remote will not program This is the 3rd time the remote function stopped working, for some reason programing is not staying in memory, probably due to opening and closing the door so many times during programing

Called Lexus and made appointment for Monday since some module is not working properly!
Old 11-19-17, 04:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 883 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Cannot make it up, lol After another week of flawless Remote/Key operation, I must have a Saturday Gremlin, Remote does not open or close doors. Also dome light stays on again. Also noticed this time the control display stays on, it is on and shows the time.

I decide to disconnect my battery for 30 minutes..........The Dome and Control Display then went off. Hooked her back up, open and closed door, now at least the dome goes off and control display did not light up! Something is confused, I also checked my Door Switches, they work.

Tried multiple times to program the key again, I get to the point where the locks cycle but the Key/Remote will not program This is the 3rd time the remote function stopped working, for some reason programing is not staying in memory, probably due to opening and closing the door so many times during programing

Called Lexus and made appointment for Monday since some module is not working properly!
i sure wish you lived nearby!
we could do what the Lexus dealer will do...connect the TechStream diagnostic software and figure out the problem!

the level of detail the software provides is amazing!

good luck with your trip to the dealer and be sure The problem is present before you go.
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 05:00 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

For sure, wish I was closer! I am not touching the remote and not going to try to program again, so they can see it does not work!

Will report my findings and $$

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-19-17, 05:16 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi BGw70,

Just went to my Garage and tried the remote as you stated, check before I go to Dealer! Now the remote is working

Does the SC store past failures in memory so the Software can possibly see?

B-
Old 11-19-17, 05:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Just to confirm, you have two keys and they both either work or don’t work at the same time.

in other words, you have both keys in your hands and the car is acting up.
if you click either key, neither works...is that correct?

also, when you push the buttons on the key, you see the red LED flash, correct?

if you have a volt meter, can you check the voltage of the key batteries please.
Old 11-19-17, 01:42 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

hoffy, was your car sitting out in the sun when it quit working? If so, this would be the same symptoms as the unlock actuator motor going out. Does your car beep when you press the FOB buttons? If so, it is recognizing the FOB and just unable to carry out the command. Will it open your trunk?
Old 11-20-17, 02:37 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default YES it was

Yes, Just like last week. I had just finished repairing my Driver Seat, I left the Car running for an hour!!! After the repair, washed the car, temp was around 62 and Sunny. Went to lock Car and nothing! Car Remote does not make the Beep sound. The Door actuators both work internally without any issues. I already replaced the Actuator 4 weeks ago when this first happened, then the problem continued as said, so this is the 4th time not working. Changed both batteries_ _

So both Actuators one original and other NEW did the same!!

I have an appointment with the Dealer today to replace the Brake Shims/Springs for the Clank noise. I will talk to the Tech and give him the complete story!! Maybe I have a bad door switch?? Or the MPX Computer Module??
Not sure if they will find any codes with their Computer Software??

I find it weird, 3 out of 4 times reprograming key/Remote corrected the problem! However this last time, I could not get the key to program, let her sit overnight and went to use the Key/Remote and it works again!

My concern is when Remote does not work, I use the Key and all locks and opens, however the Dome Light will not go out and after fiddling with the manual open and close of the Key the light finally goes out, if I did not notice, my Car Battery would go dead! I keep a Trickle Charger on her over the weekend only just in case. My battery was checked and it is excellent condition.

So I guess it probably the door Module and or another module?? I believe there is a remote Module?? Maybe the Remote Module amplifier??

I wonder if the programing of the key via software vs. the Manual method would rid the Problem??

B-
Old 11-20-17, 03:23 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Batteries Remote Answer

Hi BG70,

Ok yes both keys where with me in car, and could not lock with remote!

Not sure but you maybe on track of the issue!!

I replaced One of the batteries in the remote I purchase on eBay 4 weeks ago, I never even checked the voltage on that one, just put a fresh, I thought new battery in on the key I use everyday!! I checked the voltage on that key, 2.92 Volts. I took another new Maxell 3volt and installed it is measuring 3.27 Volts

The other Battery I had never changed my 2nd master key!! I checked the voltage on that key, 2.95 volts I do not have another battery to replace that one with, have to get some!

SO IT IS THE BATTERIES WITH 2.92 AND 2.95 VOLTS ARE THEY THE CULPRITS? The red lights did come on with those remotes, maybe that is why i could not program???????? Maybe by sitting overnight battery had just enough to turn on remote?

Do you what the voltage should be, I assume 3volts.

please advise!

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-20-17, 04:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Hi BG70,

Ok yes both keys where with me in car, and could not lock with remote!

Not sure but you maybe on track of the issue!!

I replaced One of the batteries in the remote I purchase on eBay 4 weeks ago, I never even checked the voltage on that one, just put a fresh, I thought new battery in on the key I use everyday!! I checked the voltage on that key, 2.92 Volts. I took another new Maxell 3volt and installed it is measuring 3.27 Volts

The other Battery I had never changed my 2nd master key!! I checked the voltage on that key, 2.95 volts I do not have another battery to replace that one with, have to get some!

SO IT IS THE BATTERIES WITH 2.92 AND 2.95 VOLTS ARE THEY THE CULPRITS? The red lights did come on with those remotes, maybe that is why i could not program???????? Maybe by sitting overnight battery had just enough to turn on remote?

Do you what the voltage should be, I assume 3volts.

please advise!

Thanks
Bob
a new battery voltage should start out around 3.25vdc, I don’t know what the Stop transmitting voltage should be but I feel pretty good that you may have solved the problem...

UPDATE: I just measured the voltage of my current remote battery and the CR2016 battery is reading 3.02vdc. I also noticed that it does not have good range anymore.

i also measured a new unused battery and it was at 3.29vdc.

again, I think you solved your problem...you just need new batteries.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-20-17 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 06:25 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Thank you for taking the time to do so!!!! Also when under pulse load it is going to be lower!

Bob
Old 11-20-17, 10:56 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Good call there BJW! With the car not responding to the FOB, it definitely points to either the FOB or the module in the car. My dad always used to advise me to chase down the easy and cheap items first. In this case, that is the FOB batteries and it sounds from your voltage measurements that you are spot on.
Old 11-20-17, 11:59 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Harold 57 Got it!

Hi Harold,

You nailed it, I could not believe it, it is the Passenger side Door Actuator, of course they have to overnight part and they gave me a loaner! Also had the new Shims/Clips put on the front brakes and also they did a 4 wheel road force balance!!! So in the end that dang little motor causes all kind of issues!!!

Thanks again!
Bob
Old 11-20-17, 01:04 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default It was the Temp

Forgot to mention, your right about being out in the Sun, LOL.

B-
Old 11-20-17, 03:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Bob,
are you saying that you had two bad door lock actuators and weak batteries in the key fob?

or just bad door actuators?

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming