SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 03:23 PM
PinkFloyd6
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John
It's nice how these old threads can turn out to be very helpful. I had an original master and one valet for my '06 that I bought a few weeks ago. Not having a spare master makes me nervous so it became the next SC mission.

I ordered a remote w/ key blank from Amazon
HERE HERE
for $22.79 shipped. Got it cut last evening at the nearby Batteries Plus for $20. This afternoon, I followed JohnMD's excellent instructions and now have an operational spare.

Muchas gracias from Texas.
Old 11-20-21, 10:33 AM
doobs
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd6
It's nice how these old threads can turn out to be very helpful. I had an original master and one valet for my '06 that I bought a few weeks ago. Not having a spare master makes me nervous so it became the next SC mission.

I ordered a remote w/ key blank from Amazon HERE for $22.79 shipped. Got it cut last evening at the nearby Batteries Plus for $20. This afternoon, I followed JohnMD's excellent instructions and now have an operational spare.

Muchas gracias from Texas.
LOL!

I just bought a flip key from joemg and will be going through this myself.

Reading the instructions, it kinda felt like doing the

cheers
The following users liked this post:
PinkFloyd6 (11-20-21)
Old 11-21-21, 08:34 AM
doobs
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John
Hi all, just bought a flip key from another member and am trying to program it. Car is an '07 SC.

This is a two stage process, right? First the Key programming, then the Remote programming?

Does this process work for something other than a valet key?
Does the "Master key" described refer to one of the original keys that came with the car? Does it matter which one?
I've got four keys already for the car:

2 - standard keys
1 - wallet key
1 - valet key

Will that impact this operation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by doobs; 11-21-21 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-21-21, 09:11 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by doobs
Hi all, just bought a flip key from Joe and am trying to program it. Car is an '07 SC.

This is a two stage process, right? First the Key programming, then the Remote programming?

Does this process work for something other than a valet key?
Does the "Master key" described refer to one of the original keys that came with the car? Does it matter which one?
I've got four keys already for the car:

2 - standard keys
1 - wallet key
1 - valet key

Will that impact this operation?

Thanks in advance.
Yes it will. You are allowed 4 keys programmed, two of which are Master keys, the others are sub keys. In order to programmed an addition key, one of your master or sub keys need to be deleted using TechStream.

Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...key-101-a.html

Last edited by GmanSC; 11-21-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 11:05 AM
doobs
Advanced

Got it all done. Helps to read the instructions.... Step 8 of the remote programming was the key. I was doing it incorrectly by pushing Lock then Unlock whereas the instructions say to press both of them at the same time.

I've now got 3 keys that open/close start the car. Don't know how that fits into the 2 Master, 2 sub keys.

Cheers,
Old 11-22-21, 12:42 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doobs
Got it all done. Helps to read the instructions.... Step 8 of the remote programming was the key. I was doing it incorrectly by pushing Lock then Unlock whereas the instructions say to press both of them at the same time.

I've now got 3 keys that open/close start the car. Don't know how that fits into the 2 Master, 2 sub keys.

Cheers,
OK, so now you have 5 keys, correct? Do all 5 keys work? If they do, then you’d know the statement of masters and subs is invalid. I’m sure about 2 masters since I have tried to program a key using my valet key without success.
Old 10-06-23, 10:46 AM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I accidentally programmed an eBay spare key as a remote instead of a master. I've tried the master steps afterwards and the key will not start.
​​​​​​How do I erase the remote programming to program it as a master correctly?
Old 10-06-23, 11:49 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought a flip key from 1010keys on ebay a little while back, went through the steps about 20 times to program the remote part of the key to no avail, and at the same time deleted the remote on my one and only master key. Gave up, bit the bullet and took it to Toyota, they fixed the master and programed the remote and key on my new flip key.. $175... OUCH! but all works now.
Old 10-06-23, 02:43 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NachoNYC
I accidentally programmed an eBay spare key as a remote instead of a master. I've tried the master steps afterwards and the key will not start.
​​​​​​How do I erase the remote programming to program it as a master correctly?
Do you have TechSream ? You can delete the program then reprogram it, designate it as Master key. Remember, you can only have 2 Master keys in the computer.
Old 10-06-23, 02:47 PM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Do you have TechSream ? You can delete the program then reprogram it, designate it as Master key. Remember, you can only have 2 Master keys in the computer.
I don't. link to purchase?
Old 10-06-23, 02:50 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

I don't. link to purchase?
Go to Ebay. Many of them are available.
Old 10-08-23, 09:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Love the Avatar!

Can you clarify your question? You got a new key, programmed the remote part of it, so it opens your door. But it won't start your car?

Now that you programmed your remote to your doors, You need to program the key to your engine.

you can try these instructions, but people don't always have luck with them

https://www.remotesremotes.com/Key-F...show=30&page=1

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 10-08-23 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-02-24, 09:47 AM
vinnyvavoom
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the writeup. I purchased a cut key on eBay from China as my SC430 had only one key. They sent the same procedure in the package but it was not working for me. After reading through the thread, the key part that was missing is speed. Gotta do it quick.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (07-02-24)
Old 07-02-24, 02:15 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom
Thanks for the writeup. I purchased a cut key on eBay from China as my SC430 had only one key. They sent the same procedure in the package but it was not working for me. After reading through the thread, the key part that was missing is speed. Gotta do it quick.

Thanks again.
Let us know, I did the same a while back and never did get it to work, took it to a Toyota dealer and had them do it. $175!!
Old 07-02-24, 03:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

What didn’t work?
there are two procedures.
one programs the key to start the car
the other programs the door locks etc.

did neither work?

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming