Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 02:51 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antigeek
Well, I got my folding key from eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_nkw=sc430+folding+key

However, it's too long (which I can probably fix myself), and I haven't had any success (yet) finding a company that will cut it for me. My dealer in Plano said they won't do it because "we only cut keys we sell, if it’s from ebay we can’t. They screw up our machine." Two locksmiths in Dallas so far have said they won't, either (no explanation).

I haven't tried Sewell yet -- my next attempt.
Any other suggestions?
I can't imagine that no one in Dallas will do it.
You would think that in this deep recession, the stealerships would be looking for business
Old 10-07-09, 02:58 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

Here's another suggestion: cut your losses. You are only out $18.00, plus lots of time so far. If you really need another key and want it to work, call Sewell or your local dealer.
Or you could try to return it to the eBay seller, since the representation is incorrect (good luck - this item ships directly from Hong Kong - at "no charge" which means the key itself probably costs about $3.00) or you could roll the dice again and go for some of the other blank keys selling for up to $199.00.
Under the circumstances, I'm beginning to think that eBay is not a good place to go for a blank $18.00 auto key for a Lexus. Thanks for taking one for the team.
Old 10-08-09, 09:28 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed on the eBay "risk", and it's not worth the time to return it.
It took me a more time to understand that there were short and long keys, and what element deactivates the kill switch. Dealership route would have been easier, but I thought I'd give this a try.

My scenario is a broken key shell (front, which holds the key), not a lost one, so I wouldn't need to spend almost $200 for a full replacement.

If I have any luck, I'll let you know. At least I'm still on the team, and I'm glad to do it.
Old 10-08-09, 10:02 AM
tfischer

Let us know what you do for the fix. Right now one of my RX keys, which is virtually identical to my SC key, has a broken shell, but my fix was a piece of scotch tape, which works fine, but this key only gets used when my daughter drops into town and borrows the RX. If there is an inexpensive way to get a new shell, that would be nice, (it's broken down where the little bitty screw holds the halves together) but I'm not going to spend $100 in this economic climate when free tape will do the trick.
Old 10-08-09, 10:39 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you tried superglue or expoxy on the broken key housing? I know that superglue isn't great for "shear" strength, but it is worth a try. Mine just cracked this week near the lock button, so I'll be doing the same thing.

If nothing else, you can find a cheap knock off and just replace the plastic part from the knockoff.
Old 10-08-09, 11:01 AM
tfischer

I could SuperGlue it shut, but then I will have another problem when I need to replace the battery.
Old 10-08-09, 11:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

No, you superglue the cracked pieces together. If it is not fully broken, just slightly pry the crack open and put the glue down in it. Try prying it apart and putting it back several times to help pull the glue down in the crevise. Then let it cure and give it a try.

I just did it with Loctite 444 and mine was cracked from the panic button to the side and then around the top on the back just over the screw. So we will see if it holds up.
Old 10-08-09, 12:17 PM
tfischer

That will not work on mine, as the case is only cracked right where the screw goes through the removable side, so that instead of a hole, there is only a semicircle, so there is nothing for the screw to hang onto. The rest of the piece is intact.
Old 10-08-09, 12:23 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
That will not work on mine, as the case is only cracked right where the screw goes through the removable side, so that instead of a hole, there is only a semicircle, so there is nothing for the screw to hang onto. The rest of the piece is intact.
maybe but some JB weld in the hole. put the screw in and let it dry. then when you have to replace the battery, just unscrew it and repeat the process.
Old 10-08-09, 12:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Yes, it can still be glued, I just don't know how well that will hold up under the shear forces exerted when turning the key.

An alternative is Sewell Lexus. They sell the empty key fob (key & plastic housing, no electronics) for $77. $69.30 after the forum 10% discount. (They cut the key for free.) You will need to provide proof of ownership for them to cut it though.
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=88779&nbc=Y
Old 10-08-09, 12:47 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i just remembered they used to sell the back piece separately for about $10. i tried to find it, but came across this instead. http://www.dinodirect.com/LEXUS-3-Bu.../AFFID-15.html

you could use the back from this with your existing key since the rest of the key is fine. and you wouldn't need to get the key recut.
Old 10-08-09, 01:55 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

That will work so long as it is only the back that is cracked or broken. (The same goes for the blanks on ebay.) If the button side is cracked or broken, like mine, then the whole key (minus the electronics) has to be replaced as that side is molded on to the key.
Old 10-08-09, 02:56 PM
tfischer

Jason:
Thanks for the idea of using JB Weld. I will try that, as I think it would do the trick.
We shall see.
Old 10-17-09, 01:20 AM
Azn2nr27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the key programming and remote programming work if you only have a valet key? Will these instructions work on a 1999 GS?
Old 10-17-09, 05:40 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Azn2nr27
will the key programming and remote programming work if you only have a valet key? Will these instructions work on a 1999 GS?
You need to start with a master key. The valet key will not allow you to program other keys. Whether or not any one programming sequence will work on your GS is something that you'll just have to try to find out. As an example, I haven't found any single procedure that works with my '06 SC430, period. The dealers use a "scan tool" to do their programming rather than door/gas pedal/brake dances. There is a lot of folklore, myths and procedures that work on some cars but not on others so it's up to you to try them until something works; or just give up. but in any case, you need a master key to succeed.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming