SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 06:15 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I have to find an independent Lexus shop here who has all the capability of a Lex dealer but not the overhead.

The shop that I go to does not have that.
Old 01-29-11, 06:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by darnot10
It was at Davenport Motors (an independent Lexus repair center here in the DFW area). They took care of the cutting and programming and even washed the car!
Lucky you! Great.
Old 01-29-11, 06:54 PM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far so good. I've only been there once for service (45k service) before yesterday. It does help to know him as well. I hadn't seen him in about 6 years so it was good catching up. We ate lunch at Mia's Mexican Cantina. That food was delicious! First time there and definitely going back.
Old 02-07-11, 01:45 AM
MAYNARDS99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed is the KEY!

After several attempts, I sped up JohnMD's process for key programming.

In the past my dealer replaced and programmed my master key, leaving a unusable valet key.

Thankfully, all my keys now work in my 2002 SC430!
Old 03-18-11, 07:45 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

So let me make sure I got this right... Both of my master keys have broken cover. (both sides) so if I purchase blank shell off ebay, and transfer my transponder, would everything work ok? When do I need to do this 'cut to vin'?
Old 03-18-11, 08:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

The programming is not the problem-it's the cutting. Most don't realize that the key is actually attached to one side of the plastic shell-the side that has button holes on it.

Thus, when you have cracked both sides on both keys, it's time to bite the bullet and get a new key. Good news for you that you have your transponders and two keys.

Very few have posted results of getting these types of keys cut at your average home depot or key cutter/locksmith. Most have had to go to Lexus dealers or Toyo dealers to get cut.

Programming=FREE DIY-see instructions on here.

Transponder=transfer from your old ones. Replace battery while you are at it.

Shell-buy on eBay or sewell lexus or vendor.

Put it all together and get the new key cut at dealer.

Cheapest solution is $10 + appx $50 to cut or so versus nearly $150 for a whole new key.

Here is an example...since you need two, these are $14.99 for two new ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-LEX...Q5fAccessories

The main issue with the "cut" is that it needs to be laser cut apparently.

Not sure if you are in ATL or not, but here is a company that advertises cutting Lexus keys and has been in business for 40 years in ATL:

http://realpages.com/sites/sandyspri...eco/page3.html
Old 03-18-11, 08:03 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

If you open up the old broken key and move the transponder into the NEW uncut key, the engine immobilizer system WILL work just fine. Then go to a reputable key shop that cuts lexus keys with your VIN in hand.

Or, if you have the 5 digit key code that came with the original set of keys on the metal tab, you could use that too.

Have the key shop cut the key and voilá you have a "new" key.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-19-11 at 08:32 AM. Reason: corrected the number of digits
Old 03-18-11, 08:15 PM
scdroptop

+1 I forgot the VIN part, thx Bob! I did just bring in my VIN to Sewell when they cut mine. They were very reasonable. Park Place also did one of mine too.
Old 03-18-11, 09:00 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
The programming is not the problem-it's the cutting. Most don't realize that the key is actually attached to one side of the plastic shell-the side that has button holes on it.

Thus, when you have cracked both sides on both keys, it's time to bite the bullet and get a new key. Good news for you that you have your transponders and two keys.

Very few have posted results of getting these types of keys cut at your average home depot or key cutter/locksmith. Most have had to go to Lexus dealers or Toyo dealers to get cut.

Cheapest solution is $10 + appx $50 to cut or so versus nearly $150 for a whole new key.

Not sure if you are in ATL or not, but here is a company that advertises cutting Lexus keys and has been in business for 40 years in ATL:

Hi drop,

Re: versus nearly $150 for a whole new key.

I have to chuckle whenever I read something like this. My local dealer quotes $300 for a new key. They're the only dealer for ~100 miles.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-18-11, 09:48 PM
scdroptop

Jerry-wow that's crazy! I know how these things work---you always need the rare, expensive part on the weekend or at night or in a pinch or on the holiday so you have to buy the $300 key, but remember Sewell has a great deal on them too:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2817.html

My pool parts always break on the weekend or holiday so I have to buy from Leslie's. Normally I can get parts for half of what they charge on eBay!!!

After our discount I want to say it's about $150-$160. It was $150 when I got a quote in 2010.
Old 03-19-11, 06:24 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. Noticed Sewell is offering $16 for 1 key or $24 for 2 key just to 'cut'. Then they are selling shell key for $77/key. If I'm gathering this information right, I could purchase two shell off each $14.99 for two. then send Sewell these new keys with my VIN number so they're able to cut them for $24. When I get those back, I just transfer my transponder and since it's still original, I wouldn't have to 'program' anything. So in the end, I would be spending approx $39 for 2 brand new key case.

Did I get that right?
i'm going to call my local lexus dealer and see how much they would charge.
Old 03-19-11, 06:27 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

One more question... $77 shell key that Sewell is selling... is that OEM? if so, what difference would I notice between these and $8 shell key off ebay? Would everything fit OK?
Old 03-19-11, 08:31 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

The OEM key typically is higher quality. Aftermarket keys have a tendency break where the metal key blade (the portions that's cut) imbeds into the plastic case. The OEM key is a little thicker or may be reinforced at that point and handles the twisting stress better as the key turns in the lock. Nevertheless, aftermarket keys will work fine if you've given the seller the correct year make model information. Some model years have a slighter longer key blade.

Some ebay seller offer cutting services too. If you do a search on ebay for "lexus sc430 key cut" you find them.

If you have the key code, small silver colored tag or, if you have the flat emergency key, (the one snapped into the black plastic case) there is the five digit key code stamped into one side of the plastic keyholder/transponder. I used one of the ebay sellers, (I don't remember which one) who wanted proof of ownership before cutting a key from my VIN. So I emailed a scan of my car's registration. Worked out perfectly and I'm still using the key nearly two years later.

When I was looking on ebay this morning I learned some those ebay keymakers can even make you a key if you take a good quality photo of it with your cellphone and email the to them. One says they'll even tell you what your keycode is off the photo.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-19-11 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-19-11, 09:28 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jerry-wow that's crazy! I know how these things work---you always need the rare, expensive part on the weekend or at night or in a pinch or on the holiday so you have to buy the $300 key, but remember Sewell has a great deal on them too:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/2817.html

My pool parts always break on the weekend or holiday so I have to buy from Leslie's. Normally I can get parts for half of what they charge on eBay!!!

After our discount I want to say it's about $150-$160. It was $150 when I got a quote in 2010.
Hi drop,

As to weekend breakage; it would seem that is the only time things break.

I have two Master Keys, both with new batteries as soon as I bought the car, and no Valet Key. If one goes on a weekend, I at least have #2 to keep me going until I can do something reasonable $$$-wise.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-21-11, 05:26 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

what's the latest coupon code to use at sewell lexus??

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming