SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 06:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Still trying to find a key cutter other than the dealer, fyi, Lowes and Home Depot now do transponder keys but not do our type of keys. I heard maybe ACE does, I will check.
Old 12-18-12, 03:10 AM
PoppaLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the flip key idea. Is it appliable on for an 02 SC?
Old 12-18-12, 03:13 AM
PoppaLS
Driver School Candidate

We took the hit and purchased the blank key/flob from the dealer and let them cut it. Put the guts from the broken flobs in the new keys and zoomed off...
Old 06-12-13, 01:06 PM
mrbill3223
Driver School Candidate

Default Successful SC 430 key programming

Ours is a 2007. Got the uncut key from eBay (it was a real "Lexus" key). Took it to a "Li'l' old locksmith who cut it on machines that looked like 19th century. Tried the "pedal dance" and it worked after five tries. Running the procedure quickly rather than "one mississippi" work for me. In addition, I forgot to turn the spare key to "on" however after 60 seconds the security light went out anyway. The eBay key starts the car just fine. eBay $170, locksmith $25. Total $195.

Lexus dealer $560.
Old 06-12-13, 02:12 PM
mandyfig

Sewell provides the service as well.

Lexus should have designed the key shells a bit better. There was a TSB on this, and yet the new shells can not last long. A re-design was in order.

The blank key is made from an insert molding process. To change the thickness to male it stronger would mean they had to make a new mold, that could easily run $100K after all said and done.

The point is a lot of us, sometime down the road will have cracked key shells. And will utter a bad word or 2 eventually. Or else use a transponder key, no remotes. Then your keyholes will be scratched big time. No win.

Let's do a push start DIY...
Old 06-12-13, 04:33 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hide a Key - use for old key shell

I used the old key shell with remote removed and put in in a magnetic Hide-a-Key box and hid it under the car. It will unlock the door and glove box but it will not start the car.

I then put a non-remote (already programed) key, well hidden, in the trunk. That key only cost about $45 precut to my vin by Sewell Lexus.

To steal the car you have to find two well hidden keys.

If I loose my key I won't be stranded.

JR
Old 06-12-13, 04:50 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by mrbill3223
Ours is a 2007. Got the uncut key from eBay (it was a real "Lexus" key). Took it to a "Li'l' old locksmith who cut it on machines that looked like 19th century. Tried the "pedal dance" and it worked after five tries. Running the procedure quickly rather than "one mississippi" work for me. In addition, I forgot to turn the spare key to "on" however after 60 seconds the security light went out anyway. The eBay key starts the car just fine. eBay $170, locksmith $25. Total $195.

Lexus dealer $560.
One of my Sc430s only came with a single master key with a worn out key shell and a valet key.

I bought keys from Sewell Lexus precut to my vin. I bought one key shell ($70) one remote master key ($188) and 2 non-remote transponder keys ($47 each) from them. I then took 3 precut keys the to my local Lexus dealer who programmed the 3 keys for $60 = 1/2 hour labor. So for a total of $430 have one empy key shell and 5 programed keys, including the valet key, for each SC430.

To add; local dealer would only program Lexus Brand keys purchased from a Lexus dealer. They would not program 3rd party keys. Their normal programming fee is $60 for 1 key and $99 fir 2 or more. They charged me me the $60 single key programming fee as a curtesy

For my 2nd SC430 I wanted a cut but unprogrammed key to put in a Hide-a-Key box. I bought 2 key shells on eBay for $14 and the local Ace Hardware cut it for $25.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 06-12-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 05:50 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

When i bought my Lexus, I received two remote keys, one valet key, and a wallet key card with built in transponder. None, to this day, have broken. Knock on wood. I always keep the wallet key in my wallet just in case. I didn't feel too safe leaving a hide a key, just in case i ever have it up for service or mod work and someone spots it. Now on my Chrylser Sebring, I was hoping someone would steal it so I kept a hide-a-key behind the gas reservoir and the doors unlocked. :-)
Old 06-12-13, 10:51 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I didn't feel too safe leaving a hide a key, just in case i ever have it up for service or mod work and someone spots it.
That is why I only hide a key that has not been programmed to start the car. It is well hidden on the undercarriage. Worst case, if they find that key while they can get into the car they cannot start it. Besides it's hidden pretty well.

It’s a habit I picked up from flying. On my aircraft I always hid a key taped to the inside the wing. To get to it you would need to remove an inspection panel with a Phillips screwdriver and reach inside the wing behind a rib to get to the key. You could only see it with a mirror so you would need to know exactly where it is and feel for it. It gave me a warm sense of security, especially when traveling to the Bahamas. Loose your keys there and it’s a long swim back home.

JR
Old 06-13-13, 05:21 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by FLYCT
One of my Sc430s only came with a single master key with a worn out key shell and a valet key.

I bought keys from Sewell Lexus precut to my vin. I bought one key shell ($70) one remote master key ($188) and 2 non-remote transponder keys ($47 each) from them. I then took 3 precut keys the to my local Lexus dealer who programmed the 3 keys for $60 = 1/2 hour labor. So for a total of $430 have one empy key shell and 5 programed keys, including the valet key, for each SC430.

To add; local dealer would only program Lexus Brand keys purchased from a Lexus dealer. They would not program 3rd party keys. Their normal programming fee is $60 for 1 key and $99 fir 2 or more. They charged me me the $60 single key programming fee as a curtesy

For my 2nd SC430 I wanted a cut but unprogrammed key to put in a Hide-a-Key box. I bought 2 key shells on eBay for $14 and the local Ace Hardware cut it for $25.

JR
So the local ACE hardware can cut Lexus keys? I have always wanted to find out…I am so excited.
Old 06-13-13, 05:40 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by mandyfig
So the local ACE hardware can cut Lexus keys? I have always wanted to find out…I am so excited.
Yep. The one here on the west coast of Florida, Crowder Brothers Ace Hardware, http://www.crowderbros.com/ has the ability to cut Laser Cut Keys. They did not have key blanks to sell me. I took keys I bought off eBay to them. They had me sign a log stating since I brought my own blanks there were no refunds. The key worked fine.

Cost was either $25 or $29 to cut the key. Not cheap but convenient.

JR
Old 06-13-13, 01:54 PM
mandyfig

Just my luck, the one ACE near to me might not be able to...I shall see.
Old 06-13-13, 01:56 PM
mandyfig

$25 + $3 for the shell, less than $30 and have a set of brand new remote key, not bad at all.
Old 06-14-13, 04:48 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Try a local lock smith

Sorry I did not see this stream earlier. I just went to the local lock smith. He actually has blanks, but will also cut wallet keys and blanks bought on line. I also saw a vendor on eBay that would sell 2 switchblade keys cut for one vehicle with space for a remote - you have to supply that - for $45. I asked if you could get different cuts, and they said the cost only covers time for one
Old 06-14-13, 07:56 PM
aaron0815
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting a new key soon so this is very helpful! Thanks

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming