SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 07:00 AM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Still no joy on programming a third key into the wife's 02 SC430. I've done the 5x key start, 6x door open/close procedure numerous times, and the only thing I've noticed is when I place the un-programmed key into the ignition, i get this;

The security light blinks once per second for around 10 seconds, then the cadence changes and it does two quick, one short blink, followed by a pause. I left the key sit in the ignition and watched this continue for almost 5 minutes. Still not programmed. I can only presume there is some activity as the blinking changes.

I got two keys from the seller, one with a 3 button remote that has never locked/unlocked the doors, but does start the car. The other is an aftermarket ILCO key which starts the car but has no remote buttons.

Please Help! Marty
Old 10-01-13, 08:26 AM
mrbill3223
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if 02 and 08 are same but think they are.
I had to try several times (maybe four?) before success. I also discovered that a rapid sequence worked not the "one Mississippi.....etc" as suggested. My failures were with the slow cadence, my success was with a rapid cadence.

I successfully programmed three start and remote function keys this way (with a little bit of patience and lots of determination). I got all three (original Lexus) programmable blank keys from eBay and had them cut at a local locksmith using my one and only master key. Hope this helps some.
Old 03-02-14, 03:40 PM
Alterious
Driver

I know this is an old tread however, two of my key's housing broke on my 02 SC430 and I bought the flip to side keys from ebay. I paid $29.95 at the dealer to get one of them cut, however, the new key won't start the car although I swapped the remote from the old working key. Is there like a small transponder or something in the old keys because when I put one of my original keys by the ignition and try to start it with the new key it works!
Old 03-02-14, 04:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

That's correct. The SC430 key has a transponder in it that is required to start the vehicle. You could theoretically cut the transponder out of the OEM key and put it into your side flip key and should work fine. Good luck.
Old 03-02-14, 04:23 PM
Alterious
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
That's correct. The SC430 key has a transponder in it that is required to start the vehicle. You could theoretically cut the transponder out of the OEM key and put it into your side flip key and should work fine. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and which piece should I cut to put it in my new flip to side key?
Old 03-02-14, 04:58 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

TBH, i'm not sure what it looks like in the OEM key. I removed mine from the wallet key to put in my LuxLink. It was small and black and flat. Smaller than an quarter. It looked like a plastic chip. Maybe another member can shed some more light on how to remove it from the OEM key to put into your side flip key.

Check out this pic....http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-02-14 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-02-14, 05:04 PM
Alterious
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
TBH, i'm not sure what it looks like in the OEM key. I removed mine from the wallet key to put in my LuxLink. It was small and black and flat. Smaller than an quarter. It looked like a plastic chip. Maybe another member can shed some more light on how to remove it from the OEM key to put into your side flip key.

Check out this pic....http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg
Thanks! yeah that would be very helpful since I have no idea what it looks like and I have put the remote portion in the new key but no go.
Old 03-03-14, 06:27 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The "transponder" is part if the remote push button guts installed in the OEM master remote key shell. It is not separate.

With the flip key perhaps the transponder is not close enough to the receiver in the car key hole to activate it.

Try swapping the remote guts between your working key and the new flip key and see if the problem stays with the flip key or moves.
Old 03-03-14, 06:22 PM
Alterious
Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The "transponder" is part if the remote push button guts installed in the OEM master remote key shell. It is not separate.

With the flip key perhaps the transponder is not close enough to the receiver in the car key hole to activate it.

Try swapping the remote guts between your working key and the new flip key and see if the problem stays with the flip key or moves.
That's what I thought so I put a remote next to the ignition and no go. However, if I put my untouched spare key next to it while using one of the new cut key then the new key works. Although, the new key sits up higher but it just weird. This is the flip to side house I got of eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPQ-FLIP-FOLDING-SMART-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CASE-SHELL-for-Lexus-3-BUTTONS-/200953099273?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec9bcf409&vxp=mtr
Old 03-03-14, 07:21 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I considered the flip key but reading some negative reports and trying to get it cut locally I decided to buy a new OEM remote key shell form Sewell Lexus. They get $87 for the OEM key cut to your car if you provide the VIN Number and proof of ownership.

I used the old broken empty key shell and hid it in a magnetic Hide-a-key holder on the under-frame of the car. I then hid a fully programmed working key in the trunk.

JR
Old 03-25-14, 12:12 PM
joe1000
Driver School Candidate

Default Key Replacement Experience

My experience ... I have a 2004 SC430

Purchased a three button remote key from this eBay seller: http://www.ebay.com/sch/motorshops/m...1&_ipg=&_from=

Priced at $79.99 plus $3.50 shipping. (Sometimes he has them in stock, sometimes not.)

It was advertised as new. It arrived in just a couple of days. It was brand new with battery and of very high quality. It may have been a Lexus product.

Took the key to my local ACE Hardware where they cut it for me. Charged me $5.00.

Brought the key home and programmed the remote functions and start functions as detailed in this post. Worked perfectly.

Total cost: $88.49

Thanks Club Lexus Forum!
Old 04-05-14, 05:35 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

After biting the bullet and paying for a new master from Sewell Lexus I'm trying to program it without success. I plan to go at it again today but have a couple of questions. How should you lock the door? With current remote or manually from inside the car? Do you use the old remote for all the procedures until it comes time to hold down buttons on new remote? The security light seems to be on while I'm in the car. Is this ok? Thanks!
Old 04-05-14, 07:34 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

OK, when I received the master key from Sewell it would start the car but not open or lock remotely. Now, after following the directions on this forum it won't even start the car! I probably screwed things up by messing with the Key Programming sequence but I had tried the Remote programming many times with no success. The locks never cycled as predicted in the write-up. Unless someone here has some good advice I will have to go to a Lexus dealer to get this programmed. Hopefully, I didn't do any lasting damage to the key which was over $200!
Old 04-05-14, 10:12 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you may be missing a step. You do have a master key that worked ? You must have this master in order to program the new key
Old 04-05-14, 10:27 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Yes, I have a working master key. I worked through all steps a number of Times. Not sure what I could be doing wrong.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming