SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tein CS Discontinued : Anyone know if New Tein Coilovers are out for SC430 yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 11:04 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well for one, if they use steel instead of the current aluminum setup, then you most likely get added weight
They say that there is sometimes a problem with the aluminum ,gaulling ( the adjusting nuts freeze on strut )and then you can not adjust them any more so thats why they switching to steel,as for the price drop because steel cost less than aluminum.

rominl, as for the weight it will not cause any problems, there is not much material that goes into the strut any ways.
Old 05-17-06, 02:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
They say that there is sometimes a problem with the aluminum ,gaulling ( the adjusting nuts freeze on strut )and then you can not adjust them any more so thats why they switching to steel,as for the price drop because steel cost less than aluminum.

rominl, as for the weight it will not cause any problems, there is not much material that goes into the strut any ways.
Agreed on the gaulling. Cars in the snow states, that are subjected to salt roads might have a tough time trying to adjust the nuts after a year+ of usage. I have seen one set of coilovers that a shop would not attempt to adjust because of the potential to strip the threads.

Agreed on the weight factor. It is of minimal concern compared to other parts of the suspension. For those who really care about that last drop of performance, there should be more concerns over the added weight on items such as wheels, calipers and rotors, which play a much larger affect on suspension and handling, because these are parts in particular are un-sprung weight.

Coilovers I consider as partially un-sprung weight as well, but the moment of inertia that they add to the suspension travel is minimal compared to the other parts I just mentioned.

Talking with the TEIN engineers at SEMA, the design goes a lot further than just changing the material from aluminum to steel, the valving design and spring rates will also change.

The new CS factors into the design, the use of larger/ heavier 20+ rims . I assume when the original CS came out, that larger rim sizes were not predominant. Looking on their site at the new compression/rebound valve design, there is a lot of reason to believe that the new CS will be a worthwile improvement over the original.

For those who are not in a rush to get their Teins, I'd say it's a good chance that waiting for the new model will be worth it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-17-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 04:32 PM
SeattleWRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we have a timetable for when these come out? Pricing out yet?
Old 05-17-06, 07:48 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hapaj
Just got off of the phone with Tein right now and they are going to get back to me by today or tommorrow for an exact date the install will take place. There is actually two new pieces coming out. One is from Tein themselves, which is the new CS coilover system and the other is a Carbing piece(another brand name they manufacter) which is going to be an upper strut tie bar and/or radiator cooling plate, under panel, or lower bar. Not sure yet which one but I will let everyone know all of the info I get as it comes in.
Please keep us updated.
Old 05-17-06, 09:13 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I really need coilovers now...

I just had my Wald Kit installed today (it looks awesome!) and since I have H&R lowering springs I cant even get up my driveway. I might just go back to stock height to be safe until I can purchase some coilovers. This is such bad timing for me now that they are discontinued.

Old 05-17-06, 10:31 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Originally Posted by sc430mike
I really need coilovers now...

I just had my Wald Kit installed today (it looks awesome!) and since I have H&R lowering springs I cant even get up my driveway. I might just go back to stock height to be safe until I can purchase some coilovers. This is such bad timing for me now that they are discontinued.

Joint the club.
Old 05-17-06, 11:28 PM
hapaj
Rookie

Got confirmation that the second part will be a radiator cooling plate. He also mentioned that they will be steel instead of aluminum. The container is supposed to be here late June and I cannot get an offical install date until the container gets here. The other thing he mentioned is that on the lower or softer settings it will be substantially softer ride and just as firm as the old cs's on the firmer settings. This fix is due the CS lineup being the "Comfort Series" and the older version was way too firm even on the softest setting. I will keep everyone updated as I here more. The new setup should be a big improvement in ride quality at the lower settings.
Old 05-18-06, 05:23 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Got confirmation that the second part will be a radiator cooling plate. He also mentioned that they will be steel instead of aluminum. The container is supposed to be here late June and I cannot get an offical install date until the container gets here.
I have had the radiator Cooling Plate on order with Carson Toyota for about a month. So I am also hoping that container gets here soon.

When did you get your info about the container?

This is what TEIN had to say at the time I placed my order;
"Thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension Products. Unfortunately that product (CA4210470T) is not in stock at this time, and has no confirmed release date as of yet. Please check back in 1-2 months as more information may be available. We apologize for any inconveniences and greatly appreciate your understanding."
Old 05-18-06, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Agreed on the gaulling. Cars in the snow states, that are subjected to salt roads might have a tough time trying to adjust the nuts after a year+ of usage. I have seen one set of coilovers that a shop would not attempt to adjust because of the potential to strip the threads.

Agreed on the weight factor. It is of minimal concern compared to other parts of the suspension. For those who really care about that last drop of performance, there should be more concerns over the added weight on items such as wheels, calipers and rotors, which play a much larger affect on suspension and handling, because these are parts in particular are un-sprung weight.

Coilovers I consider as partially un-sprung weight as well, but the moment of inertia that they add to the suspension travel is minimal compared to the other parts I just mentioned.

Talking with the TEIN engineers at SEMA, the design goes a lot further than just changing the material from aluminum to steel, the valving design and spring rates will also change.

The new CS factors into the design, the use of larger/ heavier 20+ rims . I assume when the original CS came out, that larger rim sizes were not predominant. Looking on their site at the new compression/rebound valve design, there is a lot of reason to believe that the new CS will be a worthwile improvement over the original.

For those who are not in a rush to get their Teins, I'd say it's a good chance that waiting for the new model will be worth it.
well steel also has the risk of rusting as well, so by comparison i would say aluminum is better. and of course, being in cali it only helps further. if you are in snowy area (cold, bad for aluminum), you always run problems on salt on the coilovers too. i have seen steel coilovers rusted so bad nothing could move anymore. that's one a car in michigan

about the weight, yes it might not be much, but all savings are savings. unless there is a more compelling reason for the change. i talked to todd about this, and he agrees that the added weight might not be significant but will have some effect nonetheless.

i just hope that cost would be a positive factor. and of course, want to see what new stuff they will have out
Old 05-18-06, 10:06 AM
hapaj
Rookie

I spoke with them on May 17 2006 and I should get an exact date by today and a confirmation for my install. Keep in mind this is only what they have told me and that until the actual container gets here, who knows what is on it. As soon as I hear I will post. As for Rominl, The steel is coated so it will not rust and unless you are building a track car suspension weight is not an issue. I think if there is one positive for the new setup is that it will ride much smoother at the low setting but still be able to be as stiff as you would like at the high end. We will see and I will let you everyone know.
Old 05-18-06, 10:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I spoke with them on May 17 2006 and I should get an exact date by today and a confirmation for my install. Keep in mind this is only what they have told me and that until the actual container gets here, who knows what is on it. As soon as I hear I will post. As for Rominl, The steel is coated so it will not rust and unless you are building a track car suspension weight is not an issue. I think if there is one positive for the new setup is that it will ride much smoother at the low setting but still be able to be as stiff as you would like at the high end. We will see and I will let you everyone know.
do definitely keep us posted! everything is still speculations as of now i guess, we only need to see the final stuff

btw, my friend's rusted coilovers were tein ha. guess it was not coated right
Old 05-19-06, 12:55 AM
RMMGS4

I think if there is one positive for the new setup is that it will ride much smoother at the low setting but still be able to be as stiff as you would like at the high end. We will see and I will let you everyone know.

This is exactly what I am hoping will be the outcome. The old CS was still a bit floaty with full soft, so the lower settings were not even a choice to utilize.

So if they bump up the spring rate or do what ever it takes to get less float at low damping settings, I will be happy to see that.

Originally Posted by rominl
btw, my friend's rusted coilovers were tein ha. guess it was not coated right
Doesn't matter, steel or aluminum, over time and the elements, either can have some type of crap growing on them.

Steel requires, galvanizing, zinc or cadmium coating for protection, while aluminum requires anodizing. Less effective coatings would be nickle plating, or painting. Then there's chrome plating, but that's another story.

Bottom line is without these protective coatings, both would suck. .

How long any of these coatings will last depends on the type and quality of the coating.

I think the previous post was pointing out that on steel, the threads are harder so they would have less chance of being stripped if the nuts were frozen on there and you forced them loose.
Old 05-22-06, 10:37 PM
RMMGS4

Default New orders taken on the new CS for the GS

Looks like us GS guys have the CS available for pre-order.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218069

I'd suggest you contact Steve or Luis at Carson and ask them about availability on your cars.

That's what triggered the GB from Steve for our GS.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask I guess.
Old 05-22-06, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Looks like us GS guys have the CS available for pre-order.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218069

I'd suggest you contact Steve or Luis at Carson and ask them about availability on your cars.

That's what triggered the GB from Steve for our GS.

Sometimes all you have to do is ask I guess.
lol, with the number of owners on the sc430, i guess it's not about how steve pushes it

but i definitely want to see how the new tein cs does on the gs
Old 07-11-06, 09:43 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Anymore updates on when the New CS will come out for the SC430

Quick Reply: Tein CS Discontinued : Anyone know if New Tein Coilovers are out for SC430 yet ?