SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

NAV system Loses GPS Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 04:01 PM
RGP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV system Loses GPS Lock

Has anyone out there ever had a problem with the NAV system not being able to get a lock on the GPS satellites (GPS icon on NAV screen dissappears)? When this happens the cursor on the NAV system map shows an incorrect location for the car and the navigation system can't tell where it is. This frequently happens to me when I am in southeastern connecticut even when I am on main highways - especially in the rain. Any ideas? Anyone know of a cause or fix?
Old 06-05-06, 06:11 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RGP
Has anyone out there ever had a problem with the NAV system not being able to get a lock on the GPS satellites (GPS icon on NAV screen dissappears)? When this happens the cursor on the NAV system map shows an incorrect location for the car and the navigation system can't tell where it is. This frequently happens to me when I am in southeastern connecticut even when I am on main highways - especially in the rain. Any ideas? Anyone know of a cause or fix?
usually when u have a metalic tint this occurs or something else blocking the attenna signal. I doubt you have any tint on your front winshield though so maybe the connection is loose somewhere?
Old 06-06-06, 12:53 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Problem

I have the same thing happen from time to time. The 'GPS' letters not showing up on the screen. Most people probably don't even realize what that's telling you. I could understand something blocking the signal temporarily, but for it to stay out for miles doesn't make any sense. I've seen it in both Country and City driving. I can't figure out a cause for it. With a sporadic problem like this, it's hard to take it to the dealership.

Thanks for mentioning the issue so that I know I'm not the only one!

Robert

UPDATE: When I was in Houston this weekend, the car actually got 'lost' on the map because of no GPS signal, other times even though GPS isn't lit up the car position on the map is fine. I noticed in the same hidden menu where you can override the 'no entering data while moving' that there was a selection called GPS. When I hit that it showed no status from any of the satellites. When I finally saw GPS lit up again on the screen, I went in that menu and was getting a signal from 3 of the 4 (I think there are 4) satellites that the car gets a signal from. I don't know why the car wouldn't have a signal from any satellite at times. That doesn't seem to make sense.

Last edited by rscharf; 07-03-06 at 02:27 PM.