SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

really quick convertible top question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 12:47 PM
mkiv98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really quick convertible top question!

I'm having a tough time figuring out how to open the top. After the trunk lid opens, the roof part doesnt want to separate from the A pillars, almost as if its locked by something. Am i missing a step? E brake on, key On, transmission in P, nothing in the trunk.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-06, 02:02 PM
mkiv98
Driver School Candidate

17 views and no one knows?
Old 06-07-06, 03:10 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick idea:

At every step of the operation I think there is a sensor to let the system know to proceed with the next step. Maybe the sensor that tells the system that the trunk is fully open is broken. Therefore, the motors never get told to start the next step which would be to remove the roof.

I offer this up because the sensor that tells the system that the roof has successfully been moved to the trunk broke on my car, so the rear decklid and trunk would not move back down to finish making the car a convertible. However, I could put the roof back on the car.

I haven't really thought about it in detail before so I don't remember each step, but do you hear anything going on with the latches in the roof? I guess the problem could be there, if the roof is failing to unlatch or the system doesn't get a message that it's unlatched that could be the problem.

Bottom line, if the mechanism itself is ok, I bet there's a problem with one of the sensors somewhere.

I know it's frustrating.

Good Luck!

Robert
Old 06-07-06, 03:25 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts

You cannot be missing a step because as far as you are concerned, there is only one step -- hold in the button.

The only things I know of that will prevent the sequence from starting are the trunk is not fully closed or the curtain thing in the trunk is not pulled out and latched into place. In such an instance, the button lights up red and nothing happens at all.

If the trunk opens when you hold in the button, then the sequence should complete itself. If not, then a sensor is not being tripped or a cable is locked or stuck and is not allowing the roof to separate from the top of the windshield. In either case, it is a malfunction and, in my case, I would just get to the dealer because that whole top thing is much too complex for me to mess with.

On the other hand, after five years, such reports here are very, very rare; the roof mechanism, as complex as it is, is very reliable.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-06, 05:12 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Default My sentiment exactly

Originally Posted by tfischer
The only things I know of that will prevent the sequence from starting are the trunk is not fully closed or the curtain thing in the trunk is not pulled out and latched into place. In such an instance, the button lights up red and nothing happens at all.
Definitely what I was thinking. We'll see what he says.
Old 06-11-06, 01:06 PM
jxsmit5
Driver School Candidate

Question

Just to add my experience...

...I'm experiencing something that is making me lose faith in the SC 430. My convertible top has been acting up for the last 4 months, since shortly after I bought it from a private seller with 60K miles. The sensor on the dash with the red light doesn't think my top is completely closed (although it locks and the trunk goes down) and so when I drive it beeps at me. Pressing Open or Close does nothing as it seems to be in a "locked" state that I can't get out of.

I was just troubleshooting it this morning and upon disconnecting the battery it resets something because I can Open the top once fully, but the light still doesn't go out. Then I Close the top fully once and then the light stays lit. Then it's locked again and when I drive it will beep at me. I guess disconnecting the battery resets it for one Open and Close and then it goes back to thinking it's not closed.

The dealer wants to just start working hourly on this and start replacing parts until they figure out what it is. Not an economical method to fixing this. Any ideas about what could be going on? Is there some piece that I can get to without being charged $115 per hour by Lexus?
Old 06-12-06, 02:53 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv98
17 views and no one knows?
The SC is that good, fortunately. The problem hasn't occured to a point where it is a widespread knowledge. You're doing all the right things to open it up.
Old 06-12-06, 03:33 PM
jxsmit5
Driver School Candidate

As a followup to my problem with the sensor...I found out that the car was in an accident before I bought it (wasn't in the Carfax) and it was repaired very well but what the body shop didn't know was that two of the motors that work the hardtop were right in the line of impact and were affected to the point that now they are failing. My top was closing but it was closing due to the weight of the top and the motor was trying to close it but since it never could it would send a signal to the sensor that it wasn't closed.

Anyway, parts and labor is just over $1,500 for this little thing. I was going to trade it in but I got such a good deal on it ($30,900 with $61K miles and no sign of any wear) that even this and some new tires will still put me under Edmunds Private Party value.

Well, I hope that's all the surprises this car has left.
Old 06-12-06, 07:24 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jxsmit5
As a followup to my problem with the sensor...I found out that the car was in an accident before I bought it (wasn't in the Carfax) and it was repaired very well but what the body shop didn't know was that two of the motors that work the hardtop were right in the line of impact and were affected to the point that now they are failing. My top was closing but it was closing due to the weight of the top and the motor was trying to close it but since it never could it would send a signal to the sensor that it wasn't closed.

Anyway, parts and labor is just over $1,500 for this little thing. I was going to trade it in but I got such a good deal on it ($30,900 with $61K miles and no sign of any wear) that even this and some new tires will still put me under Edmunds Private Party value.

Well, I hope that's all the surprises this car has left.
Damn, Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully that will be all. Enjoy that coupe!!