SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

updated nav disc

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 02:51 PM
KWPTA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default updated nav disc

I just got a 2002 SC430 and have the 2000 ver 1 disc, What can I upgrade to?
Old 06-14-06, 07:27 PM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

You can upgrade to Ver 5.01 which went on sale in January of '06.

The next version will probably go on sale early in '07.

Also, when you upgrade to any version beyond Ver 1, the disc will also upgrade the OS, which gives you some nicer colors and logos, but no new features, and will make the system unable to read the version 1 disc ever again, although I don't know why you would want to use five year old data.

I just upgraded from ver 2 to ver 5 and find that I now have up to date roads and POI information. For what it's worth, not many users seem to upgrade, probably because of the cost of the disc. I just got a used '04 RX, and it uses the same disc as my '02 SC. (Gen 2 and Gen 3 systems use the same disc; Gen 4 systems use a different disc because those NAV systems are made by a different company.) When I was shopping for used RXs with NAV, I always checked the data version and every one had the original disc still installed. If I were buying a used car with NAV from a dealer of that model, I would insist that he throw in a new data disc, since he can get it from his parts department and he should be willing to do that on a big sale like a CPO Lexus. I have two friends who are looking at 04 and 05 RXs, and the dealers they are talking to have been quite willing to do that.
Old 06-17-06, 11:41 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know where i can get the latest disc as cheap as possible? i have the 02 430 disc as well...
Old 06-18-06, 01:36 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Does anybody know what generation of Nav '04 cars have? Just curios. My car supposedly had the upgraded mapping from earlier cars, but doubt anything was different (no voice recognition, bluetooth, etc). I think that happened in '05, right?

And is it just a matter of replacing discs (sourced by Ebay, etc), or does it have to be dealer installed? Thx.
Old 06-18-06, 03:31 PM
tfischer

First of all, it does not have to be dealer installed. I've installed 3 or 4 in my 2 Lexus cars over the years, and it's no different from putting a CD into the player. Just turn on the engine, let it idle, eject the old disc and insert the new one. Be sure to close the sliding door. At this point the system will read the disc and if it is the first time for a new set of data, it may take a minute or two, three at the most, to upgrade certain aspects of the OS. Do not stop the engine during this process -- a warning to this effect will be on the screen, so be sure to have the NAV door open. When it is ready, the screen will revert to its normal start screen. After that, all operations will be the same as before, although searches seem a little quicker, some icons for road types may be different, and, of course, POI and road info will be newer. Updates to NOT add new features.

I know that the '02, '03 and '04 NAV systems in SC430s take the same data disc, as I have the part and it lists the Lexus Models and years that will use this disc. I know my '02 is GEN 2, and I know my '04 RX is Gen 3, so I would be pretty sure that your '04 SC is GEN 3. (As for the '03 SC, it could be either -- I do not know when they changed.)

The GEN 3 has some features that the GEN 2 lacks. If your system has "route preview" and two pages (not just one) of icons you can attach to your "marked points," then you have GEN 3. The GEN 3 also has "Home" and 5 numbered marked points across the bottom of the Destination page -- the Gen 2 only has one big square "Home" button at the bottom left of the Destination menu page.

Some of the '05 models still had the GEN 3 systems (GS and IS), but for the most part, the '05 models changed over to the GEN 4, which does not use the same data disc as the GEN 2 and GEN 3 systems. Someone said that the supplier to Lexus of the NAV hardware changed at this time. I have seen a GEN 5 NAV system on a '05 RX that I was test driving, and the appearance was very different from that on my SC and the '04 RX that I eventually bought.

Last edited by tfischer; 06-21-06 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 07:51 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, checked yesterday, and my '04 car has the 'GEN 3'. Just pressed the 'destination' button, and it had a 'home' square on the left, plus 5 more numbered 1 thru 5. Never used it before, so didn't even attempt to find the icons you mentioned .
Where do you buy the new version discs (5.1?), and how much are they? Do they pop up on Ebay cheap?
Old 06-21-06, 05:43 AM
tfischer

I assumed the '04 SC was a Gen 3, the same as my '04 RX.

You can get one from any Lexus parts department, or Sewell Lexus on-line usually offers something of a discount, although not much. It's often in the area of $250. I recall Sewell offered a group advance purchase here last October or November for a pretty good price for those who signed up early for the Ver 5 disc which came out in January -- that's where I got mine. However, I think that deal is long gone.

Be careful about what you buy on eBay. Since the Disc has to be in the drive in the car for the system to operate, it would be very ususual circumstances for an owner to want to sell the current version. Thus, the discs you see on eBay tend to be either copies or original discs of older data versions which are now of no use to someone who has purhcased a newer one.

It's very tricky to copy a DL DVD, and they don't always work well, even when they work a lot of the time, so it's risky to use a copy as your only one. Sometimes the system will lock up and you will have to use the original to get it going again, after which the copy will work fine again until it tries to access a file that did not copy exactly right. You don't want to be out of town when that happens.

And regardless of what the ad says, often the "original" discs sold on eBay are much earlier versions than the current version, which are of course no use to the owner, and since the data is several years out of date, are not all that much of an upgrade for you. I have a version 1 and a version 2 DVD I would be glad to sell, but I can't imagine that anyone would want them.

Finally, it's legal to sell your original disc, as no copyright violation is involved (just like it's legal for you to sell a book you are finished with), but it's not legal to sell a copy, although it is legal for an owner to make a backup copy for his own use. (I often use my copy in the car and keep the original in the house, but the unreliablity factor prompts me to use the original on a road trip.)