SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 11:35 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Toss in a redefined Lexus Century Motor into the SC....= hotness (V12)...
i've always contemplated this but try to find one of those motors the car alone is grip

Last edited by DPRSupra; 07-02-06 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 12:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Christian8
You're kidding right? Supras were always turbo with the exception of the Celica Supra. MR2s were supercharged before they became turbocharged. The Celica All-trac was turbocharged. The Toyota Aristo (GS) was turbocharged in japan and so was the Toyota Altezza (IS200 only). The all new Toyota Aurion Sportivo is using a supercharged 3.5L Avalon engine that produces around 320-350hp in Australia. They have diesels that are turbocharged. I know I'm missing something, but they have extensive knowledge. Toyota said that they weren't going to use turbos anymore. Lexus never said anything, even though they are the same company. What's to stop them from supercharging a car? Out of the 3 choices they have, turbocharging, supercharging, or hybrid, it would either be supercharging or hybrid. Just my .02.
THis is correct. Good post. The 2JZ was MADE for turbos
Old 06-27-06, 11:29 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're kidding right? Supras were always turbo with the exception of the Celica Supra. MR2s were supercharged before they became turbocharged. The Celica All-trac was turbocharged. The Toyota Aristo (GS) was turbocharged in japan and so was the Toyota Altezza (IS200 only). The all new Toyota Aurion Sportivo is using a supercharged 3.5L Avalon engine that produces around 320-350hp in Australia. They have diesels that are turbocharged. I know I'm missing something, but they have extensive knowledge. Toyota said that they weren't going to use turbos anymore. Lexus never said anything, even though they are the same company. What's to stop them from supercharging a car? Out of the 3 choices they have, turbocharging, supercharging, or hybrid, it would either be supercharging or hybrid. Just my .02.
Why would Lexus begin to use Superchargers/Turbochargers though? Lexus could have easily started using Superchargers/Turbochargers a long time ago, but they decided not to. So why start?
Old 06-27-06, 09:51 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

The only thing that i can think of is that almost all of the competition has a performance engine that is force fed in some way, and if it isnt force fed, then its a giant engine. AMG using supercharges for their V8s and twin turbos for their v12. The new BMW 3series will supposively have a twin turbo engine. Cadillac using the Corvette C6 engine for the CTS-V. What lexus is doing is using hybrid technology to boost power. They tried it with the GS450h, but it only competes with a BMW 550. It doesnt compete with the M5, so its not really a true performance vehicle. This is where a supercharger might come in. Toyota and Lexus have had a history of having big engines. So far the biggest engine is the 4.7L on the SUVs and the 4.3L on the sedans. When the new engine comes out, it will top out at 5.0. Thats still small compared to what everyone else is using. In my opinion, it makes sense to use a type of induction if they plan on keeping the engines south of 5.0L.
Old 06-27-06, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Why would Lexus begin to use Superchargers/Turbochargers though? Lexus could have easily started using Superchargers/Turbochargers a long time ago, but they decided not to. So why start?
umm.... not sure if i agree. there is always a start to everything, otherwise where is improvement? mb started somewhere with supercharger and turbocharge on their amg or the 600 cars too.

but then again i don't see lexus doing it any time soon coz' lexus isn't into power in that approach. imho we would probably see hybrid first. on the gs and ls that's how they are generating power
Old 06-27-06, 10:01 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Originally Posted by rominl
umm.... not sure if i agree. there is always a start to everything, otherwise where is improvement? mb started somewhere with supercharger and turbocharge on their amg or the 600 cars too.

but then again i don't see lexus doing it any time soon coz' lexus isn't into power in that approach. imho we would probably see hybrid first. on the gs and ls that's how they are generating power
Another thing to consider is that ever since the L-Finesse and LF-A approach was taken, Lexus has been more about power and sportiness. When the IS350 was being developed, did anyone here honestly think that the car was going to have more than 250hp? The car has 306 and is now the top of its class. If the LF-A is ever developed, the car is rumored to have 500hp out of an engine that has less than 5.0L displacement. Things change and so has lexus.
Old 06-27-06, 10:27 PM
LexFather

The only thing that i can think of is that almost all of the competition has a performance engine that is force fed in some way, and if it isnt force fed, then its a giant engine. AMG using supercharges for their V8s and twin turbos for their v12. The new BMW 3series will supposively have a twin turbo engine. Cadillac using the Corvette C6 engine for the CTS-V. What lexus is doing is using hybrid technology to boost power. They tried it with the GS450h, but it only competes with a BMW 550. It doesnt compete with the M5, so its not really a true performance vehicle. This is where a supercharger might come in. Toyota and Lexus have had a history of having big engines. So far the biggest engine is the 4.7L on the SUVs and the 4.3L on the sedans. When the new engine comes out, it will top out at 5.0. Thats still small compared to what everyone else is using. In my opinion, it makes sense to use a type of induction if they plan on keeping the engines south of 5.0L.
Lexus is about giving more while taking less. Lexus may never have a AMG/M line. Clearly sales are fine. Its just not the Lexus way yet.

So we mod away
Old 07-06-06, 05:31 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default LF-A & new SC

As I understand Lexus' plan the Lexus sports car will be the LF-A. The SC will then become a 2-door and true 4-PAX convertible utilizing the new LS engine. In essence the SC will be a 2-door, convertible LS. This is all to take place in 08-09 time frame.
We shall see.
Ron
Old 07-06-06, 08:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ron36330
. . .The SC will then become a 2-door and true 4-PAX convertible utilizing the new LS engine. In essence the SC will be a 2-door, convertible LS. This is all to take place in 08-09 time frame.
We shall see.
Ron
Where did you hear this information from , may I ask ?
Old 07-07-06, 01:58 AM
powmax
Pole Position

LEXUS: LF-A is coming end of 2007: 500 PS, (4.8 l), Vmax 320 km/h and about 130.000 EUR
TOYOTA: We will see 2 new Sportscars soon...

regards
marcus
Old 07-07-06, 05:13 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Source of info!

Info was from sales staff at my dealership. They got their info from introductory breifing they received in Atlanta on the 07 LS 460/L/LH.
Ron
Old 07-07-06, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Info was from sales staff at my dealership. They got their info from introductory breifing they received in Atlanta on the 07 LS 460/L/LH.
Ron
seems like the thread in teh car chat is confirming that too
Old 04-10-07, 09:54 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Hi all,

Any updates on the newer SC? My SC430 is still nice but I would love to have a lighter and more powerful car again.

And long time no see
Old 04-10-07, 01:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I understand Lexus' plan the Lexus sports car will be the LF-A. The SC will then become a 2-door and true 4-PAX convertible utilizing the new LS engine. In essence the SC will be a 2-door, convertible LS. This is all to take place in 08-09 time frame.
We shall see.
Ron
Thanks for the information, I can't wait!!!!!

Originally Posted by powmax
LEXUS: LF-A is coming end of 2007: 500 PS, (4.8 l), Vmax 320 km/h and about 130.000 EUR
TOYOTA: We will see 2 new Sportscars soon...

regards
marcus
Yes!!!!! Good news!!!
Old 04-10-07, 01:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Skip the SC460. Should be SC500!

Info sounds good. Cant wait.

Quick Reply: SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A