Originally Posted by GFerg
Skip the SC460. Should be SC500!

Info sounds good. Cant wait.
600h Hybrid
Old 04-10-07, 02:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I still say I don't want a SC hardtop convertible hybrid until they can make the new generation batteries a lot smaller & lighter. Meanwhile. A SC500 with a folding hardtop sounds good to me
Old 10-20-07, 01:38 PM
woodeneye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc460-new model

Originally Posted by lexusman1
I absolutely loved the SC430 when it first came out. I thought it was one of the classiest and coolest convertibles available, but now lexus is lossing the upper hand to more powerful and and roomier convertibles like saabs 93 and volvos C70, mercedes, cadillac and even bimmer are doing hardtop coupes that convert to roofles sport roadster with no shame of being naked. How will lexus take on these brave competitors give me some input because im curious & would like to know more about the development of this altime favorite car of mine and probably many of you guys too. I have heard the SC430 will be deleted in (07/08) and a new improved sexier car known to me as the SC460 and possible an SC500 alternative, will take its wonderful place. First the SC460 will be built on its own lexus only platform longer and a little wider to acommidate carrying a full set of 4 adults for real. than it will be presented in lexuses new L-finesse design style incorporating lexuses new broader shoulder look narrow overhangs and sleeker headlights and body panels. It's suppose to retain it's hardtop convertible system. the chassis will be a ton more sportier allowing it to be a true champion aginst mercedes, bmw's, corvettes and even the XLR competitors. that means a revised suspension that can muscle curves and and handle the track. And to top it off the new Lexus 4.6 Lexus V8 with at least 380 hp providing it with enough power to out do most rivals on the straight. I also hear the development of a 5.0 liter V8 supercharged to release 400 horses may also be part of the plan so it can compete with V12 competition.

Give any Info or ideas that you know or that you might want to see in the upcoming SC?
Yes, would like sleeker body, more HP, better handling (like everyone else I guess) more supportive seating to go with the better handling. Don't need more than 6 speed trans, save on that to put more into engine & handling. Also don't care about 4 passengers (we have short friends). Hope springs eternal!
Old 10-22-07, 05:40 AM
Addiction2
Driver

I think I'd like to see a slightly more aggressive stance in the car. The XLR, the XK8 and the SL500 all look more aggressive than the SC430 does, never mind the more performance oriented packages of those particulair cars.

I could continue living with 300hp, tho a little bump would be good; however I firmly believe that if you buy an SC430 you are interested in comfort more so than speed and to that end they should continue to refine the car so it stays ahead in that arena. The XLR has a lot more plastic inside than I would personally accept from an $85k car. The SL series seems too have a lot less creature comforts on site (but it has almost everything the SC has, and some things it doesnt). But the XK8 has come up really hard, and appears to have the fit and finish to compete with Lexus. The guys in Japan are going to have to step up thier game in a major way to continue to be the plushest luxury sports coupe.

One of the primary areas I'd focus on is the center console. I love my car but compared to some of the others I've mentioned above it looks a little dated. They could stand a serious updating of the stereo, cabin control and nav. While I recognize the repair costs of such a unit, I have to say that having everything in the car controled by touch screen (ala XK8) would rachet things up a bit. I'd also like to see the key change, with true keyless entry and push button start.

Thats where I'd start at, reasserting the fact that the SC line is the LEXUS of sport convertibles.

Last edited by Addiction2; 10-22-07 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 05:04 PM
gelat0
Driver School Candidate

I heard sc350 engine was the ticket.. to me the new 350 engine is one of the best lexus engines ever made, more power than a V8 and 28mpg.. Funny thing is that if you notice the advertising for the new LF coupe it has a picture of the sc430 in the rear view mirro of the LF, but that is a much bigger eninge and comparable to a Ferrarri type car.. Is there a hidden meaning behind that ad?? hard to say.. But the LF is a possible candidate to replace the SC which I belive is a future classic.. Had a chance to sit in the LF at concours at Pebble Beach and it is awesome.
On the current SC, some on the special order color combos are even more rare that the pebble beach eddition's, would love to get my hands on production numbers for color combo's before production stops on this awesome car..
Old 10-29-07, 05:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gelat0
I heard sc350 engine was the ticket.. to me the new 350 engine is one of the best lexus engines ever made, more power than a V8 and 28mpg.. Funny thing is that if you notice the advertising for the new LF coupe it has a picture of the sc430 in the rear view mirro of the LF, but that is a much bigger eninge and comparable to a Ferrarri type car.. Is there a hidden meaning behind that ad?? hard to say.. But the LF is a possible candidate to replace the SC which I belive is a future classic.. Had a chance to sit in the LF at concours at Pebble Beach and it is awesome.
On the current SC, some on the special order color combos are even more rare that the pebble beach eddition's, would love to get my hands on production numbers for color combo's before production stops on this awesome car..
the new 350 engine is very good in its class, but it's not comparable to the current v8. ls460 makes 380hp. gs460 makes 342hp. the sc430 engine was all the way from 2001, 6 yrs ago
Old 11-02-07, 09:20 PM
ge4u
Driver School Candidate

I suspect that if Lexus decides to keep the SC series the next one will look somewhat like the LF-C concept without the futuristic cockpit. If you go to the Lexus website and look at the LF-C photo gallery - image 9, you will notice that a SC430 image is conveniently placed on the window. This may mean nothing but the latest cars have come from the LF concepts.
Old 11-02-07, 10:21 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I think Lexus will ditch the sc430 for the is350 2 door hard top covertable and the LFC supercar
Old 11-03-07, 12:04 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah, interesting to see the SC image in the LF-C pic, very sharp eyes to notice that detail!

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/ima...F-C/g_fcv9.jpg

I eagerly await the SC 460 but it seems that in the pipeline its looking like LF-A >> IS 350 convertible >> SC 460.

Spyshots exist for both the former two but not the SC successor. Clearly they will have to position it carefully between the two, the IS convertible being likely similar to the SC 430 in interior space (theoretically 2+2 but really more of a 2 seater with backseat storage), and a hardtop convertible. The LF-A being a 2 seater supercoupe.

That leaves room for the SC 460 to be more of a 2+2 like the original SC was, but even more upscale like the SC 430. The IS convertible will be more entry-level luxury, I'm guessing, but still more upscale than the IS 250.

Course I'm wondering whether they will have the SC 430 on the same multi-long cycle the first SC 300/400 did...

Spyshot (reposted this past month in color) of the IS convertible.
Attached Thumbnails SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A-1ccc.jpg  
Old 11-03-07, 07:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Personally I think Lexus will ditch the sc430 for the is350 2 door hard top covertable and the LFC supercar
You mean LF-A supercar ?
Neither is in the same class as the SC430 though, one is a class below, & the other a class above . . .
Old 11-03-07, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by enigma888
Course I'm wondering whether they will have the SC 430 on the same multi-long cycle the first SC 300/400 did...
I think it's because Toyota/Lexus is always about business first. The coupe/convertible models are always low volume cars compared to the sedans & SUV's, so they've always put them in low priority in their plans of updating them I think . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-03-07 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-03-07, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

there will be next generation sc. is convertible is nice, but it's no where the league of sc, you can't use that to compete with this size class. and lf-a, that's supercar, much more expensive
Old 11-03-07, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think it's because Toyota/Lexus is always about business first. The coupe/convertible models are always low volume cars compared to the sedans & SUV's, so they've always put them in low priority in their plans of updating them I think . . .
i have said it before, and i hope it's true. with the gs, is, ls, es all "done", sc should be next . we know the new lx is out early next year, right after that is the rx in spring. gx i think can stand another yr
Old 03-14-08, 04:18 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump for info and pics
Old 03-14-08, 05:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually I don't link to this site, but here is a photochop showing an LF-A inspired SC:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/new...-new-lexus-sc/
Attached Thumbnails SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A-lexus_sc_mkiii_s_ttac_01_01_01.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A