SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 03:07 PM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A

I absolutely loved the SC430 when it first came out. I thought it was one of the classiest and coolest convertibles available, but now lexus is lossing the upper hand to more powerful and and roomier convertibles like saabs 93 and volvos C70, mercedes, cadillac and even bimmer are doing hardtop coupes that convert to roofles sport roadster with no shame of being naked. How will lexus take on these brave competitors give me some input because im curious & would like to know more about the development of this altime favorite car of mine and probably many of you guys too. I have heard the SC430 will be deleted in (07/08) and a new improved sexier car known to me as the SC460 and possible an SC500 alternative, will take its wonderful place. First the SC460 will be built on its own lexus only platform longer and a little wider to acommidate carrying a full set of 4 adults for real. than it will be presented in lexuses new L-finesse design style incorporating lexuses new broader shoulder look narrow overhangs and sleeker headlights and body panels. It's suppose to retain it's hardtop convertible system. the chassis will be a ton more sportier allowing it to be a true champion aginst mercedes, bmw's, corvettes and even the XLR competitors. that means a revised suspension that can muscle curves and and handle the track. And to top it off the new Lexus 4.6 Lexus V8 with at least 380 hp providing it with enough power to out do most rivals on the straight. I also hear the development of a 5.0 liter V8 supercharged to release 400 horses may also be part of the plan so it can compete with V12 competition.

Give any Info or ideas that you know or that you might want to see in the upcoming SC?
Old 06-15-06, 03:37 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusman1
I absolutely loved the SC430 when it first came out. I thought it was one of the classiest and coolest convertibles available, but now lexus is lossing the upper hand to more powerful and and roomier convertibles like saabs 93 and volvos C70, mercedes, cadillac and even bimmer are doing hardtop coupes that convert to roofles sport roadster with no shame of being naked. How will lexus take on these brave competitors give me some input because im curious & would like to know more about the development of this altime favorite car of mine and probably many of you guys too. I have heard the SC430 will be deleted in (07/08) and a new improved sexier car known to me as the SC460 and possible an SC500 alternative, will take its wonderful place. First the SC460 will be built on its own lexus only platform longer and a little wider to acommidate carrying a full set of 4 adults for real. than it will be presented in lexuses new L-finesse design style incorporating lexuses new broader shoulder look narrow overhangs and sleeker headlights and body panels. It's suppose to retain it's hardtop convertible system. the chassis will be a ton more sportier allowing it to be a true champion aginst mercedes, bmw's, corvettes and even the XLR competitors. that means a revised suspension that can muscle curves and and handle the track. And to top it off the new Lexus 4.6 Lexus V8 with at least 380 hp providing it with enough power to out do most rivals on the straight. I also hear the development of a 5.0 liter V8 supercharged to release 400 horses may also be part of the plan so it can compete with V12 competition.

Give any Info or ideas that you know or that you might want to see in the upcoming SC?
What I find really hard to buy is this. Say its making 380 hp from a naturally aspirated 4.6 liter. Your telling me it needs an additional .4 liters of displacement and a supercharger to come up with the remaining 20 hp? Doesnt add up here.
Old 06-15-06, 05:08 PM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

that 400hp was a small misprint sorry, your absolutely right that makes no since at all I meant to state the new SC500 will have about 450hp not 400 and yes there is a 5 liter V8 being developed by lexus they plan to use it in IS,SC and LS models the SC and IS will both share the 500 name while the LS will get the 600h name because it is hybrid. the IS and SC 5 liter V8 will both be supercharged to get 450hp. The LS version will be combined with a hybrid motor to produce 430hp it's less than the other 5 liters hp, but it gets that hybrid fuel economy and may have more torque than the supercharged version.
Old 06-15-06, 05:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yes there are rumors the 5.0 engine has around 450ish
Old 06-15-06, 07:11 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't anticipate engines getting larger and larger with the almost certainty of never seeing cheap gas prices again. And I also see big brother getting tougher (higher CAFEs, gas guzzler taxes, etc) if manufacturers don't restrain themselves.
Hope I'm wrong, but it only makes sense. Many say rich people are not affected by gas prices, but they are. Maybe not directly, but indirectly yes: high gas prices slow the economy.
I'm not going to buy another V8 car after the SC, for instance; just want to do my part. With many of today's 6 cylinder cars beating out our SCs hands down, inlcuding Lexus's own IS350, it's not a sacrifice anymore. I have nobody to impress with a V8 . Later guys.
Old 06-15-06, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds like a lot of trouble. lexus has been all about hybrid power. the ls600hl is v8 hybrid (using the 5L v8), and you don't see any supercharger. with that being the case, why would lexus wanna put the 5L engine in the future SC and then supercharge it? why not just do the sc600hl? would it be easier to design? space might be one issue but as discussed here before, the rear seats aren't of much use at this point anyway.

i am pretty sure on the sc460. i will have to wait on the sc500. sounds pretty weird to me at this point
Old 06-16-06, 06:11 AM
bjoraker
Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I don't anticipate engines getting larger and larger with the almost certainty of never seeing cheap gas prices again. And I also see big brother getting tougher (higher CAFEs, gas guzzler taxes, etc) if manufacturers don't restrain themselves.
Hope I'm wrong, but it only makes sense. Many say rich people are not affected by gas prices, but they are. Maybe not directly, but indirectly yes: high gas prices slow the economy.
I'm not going to buy another V8 car after the SC, for instance; just want to do my part. With many of today's 6 cylinder cars beating out our SCs hands down, inlcuding Lexus's own IS350, it's not a sacrifice anymore. I have nobody to impress with a V8 . Later guys.
Having lived in Europe for years, I still feel gas is very cheap here in the USA. Higher gas prices can slow the economy, but that won't stop me from getting an SC with a more powerful engine. My motivation in buying the SC was not about huge amounts of power or else I would be driving a 500 HP MB etc. However, I just love this car and would jump at the chamce of more naturally aspirated power in the next model.
Old 06-16-06, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't think I would even think of getting the SC (and the LS ) with anything below a V8, & I don't think Lexus should offer them, at least in the US.
SC & LS should only be V8 and above here IMHO.

If one wants a V6 hardtop convertible from Lexus, the IS350 hardtop convertible should be coming out soon . . .
Old 06-16-06, 10:10 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There is all kind of speculation about the future of the SC. It appears that Lexus will not continue the current car with the 460 engine and 8 speed automatic. Would make a nice car, but the body style is at the end of its cycle. The most reasonable approach that I have heard is an all new car based on the GS chassis and sized to have a real rear seat. Remember the new sports car will be a 2 seater. Likely engine choices are either the 460 V8 or the new 5 liter V8. My guess is that the 5 liter makes the most since to keep the heavy convertible performance at high levels. Toyota has no significant experience with either supercharger or turbos, so if there is a higher performance version, it is likely to be a hybrid like the LS600h.

Would Lexus do a V6 hybrid in the SC? Probably not, although the old SC300 sold very well. How high are gas prices going?
Steve
Old 06-19-06, 05:24 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

They're probably not doing the hybrid engine in the SC because of its size. The GS and the LS and the RX are large enough to host the hybrid.

SC design is getting a bit old, still great looking, but a bit old. I would love to see the SC getting better suspension and better handling.
Old 06-19-06, 07:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget that as nice as a hybrid engine is, you're adding a lot of extra weight to an already heavy cruiser. I see the SC as the last car on the Lexus lineup to ever get a hybrid engine...
Old 06-19-06, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't forget that as nice as a hybrid engine is, you're adding a lot of extra weight to an already heavy cruiser. I see the SC as the last car on the Lexus lineup to ever get a hybrid engine...
well the sc430 is heavy in the back. so i think having hybrid might help the weight distribution i am still wondering how the gs450h or the future ls600hl throw out the weight distribution
Old 06-25-06, 01:00 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusman1
that 400hp was a small misprint sorry, your absolutely right that makes no since at all I meant to state the new SC500 will have about 450hp not 400 and yes there is a 5 liter V8 being developed by lexus they plan to use it in IS,SC and LS models the SC and IS will both share the 500 name while the LS will get the 600h name because it is hybrid. the IS and SC 5 liter V8 will both be supercharged to get 450hp. The LS version will be combined with a hybrid motor to produce 430hp it's less than the other 5 liters hp, but it gets that hybrid fuel economy and may have more torque than the supercharged version.

I also read the same thing. Actually the 5.0 liter V8 is being developed for the new Supra, the new SC500 will have the same engine but detuned to put out only 400HP where the supra will put out about 450HP.
Old 06-25-06, 01:28 PM
Christian8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Toyota has no significant experience with either supercharger or turbos, so if there is a higher performance version, it is likely to be a hybrid like the LS600h.
You're kidding right? Supras were always turbo with the exception of the Celica Supra. MR2s were supercharged before they became turbocharged. The Celica All-trac was turbocharged. The Toyota Aristo (GS) was turbocharged in japan and so was the Toyota Altezza (IS200 only). The all new Toyota Aurion Sportivo is using a supercharged 3.5L Avalon engine that produces around 320-350hp in Australia. They have diesels that are turbocharged. I know I'm missing something, but they have extensive knowledge. Toyota said that they weren't going to use turbos anymore. Lexus never said anything, even though they are the same company. What's to stop them from supercharging a car? Out of the 3 choices they have, turbocharging, supercharging, or hybrid, it would either be supercharging or hybrid. Just my .02.

Last edited by Christian8; 06-25-06 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-25-06, 04:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Toss in a redefined Lexus Century Motor into the SC....= hotness (V12)...

Quick Reply: SC 430 vs upcoming SC460 or LF-A