Leather Center Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 11:23 AM
DChuka
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Center Console Question

I wanted to see if anybody is experiencing this-
I have an '02 with ecru interior and I noticed recently that the leather edging around the top seems to be wearing away. I've only got about 30,000 miles on the car and it's garaged all the time.

Is this normal?

Old 06-22-06, 12:38 PM
prex
Driver

It's well known to be very thin, though mine hasn't worn away from anytthing other than people not being careful when removing the radio and a/c controls ('03 @ 30k mi). there are people who do leather repair that should be able to do a nice job of touching it up if it becomes a non-warranty issue.
Old 06-22-06, 12:49 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DChuka
I have an '02 with ecru interior and I noticed recently that the leather edging around the top seems to be wearing away. I've only got about 30,000 miles on the car and it's garaged all the time.

Is this normal?

I am in the same boat as you. 02 ecru with about 30k miles. I bought mine used and it looked like the previous owner didnt take good care of his leather. I have been cleaning and conditioning my leather heavily recently to combat that. I would suggest using some lexol cleaner and some type of good leather condition and apply it a few times within a couple of days so that you know it sinks in. My leather has gotten alot better since my initial application.
Old 07-20-06, 07:29 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Originally Posted by DChuka

Is this normal?

My '02 has 44,000 and I noticed that mine was fading slightly (not wearing away). My warranty was good till July 1st - my dealer replaced both side pieces + the cross piece. Are you still under warranty?

I use Zaino Leather in a bottle - great stuff!
Old 07-20-06, 10:00 PM
prex
Driver

That's really classy of your dealer (gosh I miss Florida) - the 3 dealers who have looked at my leather wear problems say that it's normal, not known issue, should have used conditioner from day 1, left in sun, basically a million excuses that you really can't much argue with.
Old 07-20-06, 11:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very common. Leather is very very thin in this area. The last I checked the pieces were not that expensive as I plan on buying a replacement and use the old material to wrap my Kudo mount so that the match is exact.
Lee
Old 07-21-06, 08:29 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should check with the dealer. they might do it for free.

my friend is a mechanic at lexus here in san diego and he told me if any of the leather is messed up with the car under 48k miles/4 years. they will replace it for FREE. its a lexus satisfactory thing. even if you dont buy it from a dealer. im just passing on what he told me. i dont hurt to go complain at your local lexus dealership
Old 07-21-06, 10:03 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Chuka, would you mind posting a picture? Would like to see exactly what you're talking about. I just don't see how you can wear that area if I'm understanding correctly where your wear is.
At any rate, you're right that it shouldn't wear that fast, but Lexus is also right that is should be maintained properly. I always condition all leather in my new vehicles since day 1, and am surprised how dry it is from the factory (takes several applications at first). Add to it years of triple digit temperatures inside the car, and that's when it starts wearing prematurely, and eventually cracks. Properly conditioned, leather should last the life of the car... as long as you don't abrade it, like it happens on some heavily bolstered seats, for instance (but that doesn't apply to our cars). Keep us posted how it's resolved.