SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Blitz exhaust on its way. Any installation tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 11:43 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Blitz exhaust on its way. Any installation tips?

Any tips gentlemen? Will do the job by myself, with my Rhino ramps on the rear, and the front on two 2x6s to gain a bit of space for the front flange. I've done many cat-backs on my ex-trucks by myself, including sawing off stock pipes, and was successful. Will try alone first, before summoning reluctant help (wife, girls, busy brothers, etc.; don't like to owe any favors, if I can avoid it ).

My questions are if it's best to remove/install the systems as ONE piece, or two? If two, I assume muffler is first, but which end should I turn loose first? Don't want to mess up my bumper, so I'm thinking the rear hangers first, right? Will find a way to suport the weight, like with my knees. And am I better off greasing the rubber supports first so I can slip them off the brackets, or just unscrewing the brackets all together? The devil is in the details. Thanks for your help.

Final question: did you guys keep the stock system, or tossed it out? I see how we could get a lot more money by selling it separately at selling time, but don't know about if I would do it or not.
Old 06-25-06, 06:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

please keep the stock one, so when you sell your car i can get your exhaust, jc, lol

seriously, i would just keep the stock one and when the time comes, swap everything back. i keep all parts for both my cars
Old 06-26-06, 06:00 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Any tips gentlemen? Will do the job by myself, with my Rhino ramps on the rear, and the front on two 2x6s to gain a bit of space for the front flange. I've done many cat-backs on my ex-trucks by myself, including sawing off stock pipes, and was successful. Will try alone first, before summoning reluctant help (wife, girls, busy brothers, etc.; don't like to owe any favors, if I can avoid it ).

My questions are if it's best to remove/install the systems as ONE piece, or two? If two, I assume muffler is first, but which end should I turn loose first? Don't want to mess up my bumper, so I'm thinking the rear hangers first, right? Will find a way to suport the weight, like with my knees. And am I better off greasing the rubber supports first so I can slip them off the brackets, or just unscrewing the brackets all together? The devil is in the details. Thanks for your help.

Final question: did you guys keep the stock system, or tossed it out? I see how we could get a lot more money by selling it separately at selling time, but don't know about if I would do it or not.

I installed it from front to back I dont really think it matters how you install it. The rubber bands holding the exhaust up took me a while to get off but that was about it. Everything else was pretty easy. I installed it in 2 peices makes it easier to put up and handle. Then you will prob have to adjust the tips to line up right ect. I kept my stock exhaust never know when ur gonna need it
Old 06-26-06, 08:32 AM
JCtx
Racer

I guess it makes sense to keep the stock exhaust; will do that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hey Tony, don't tell me I'll have to line up tips again ? Flanges don't have any room for adjustment, so the only way to alter alignment is by bending the hangers, right? Could you do that once mounted? Would you mind elaborating how you did that?? Would HATE to break a hanger near the weld. Thanks man.
Old 06-26-06, 08:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I guess it makes sense to keep the stock exhaust; will do that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hey Tony, don't tell me I'll have to line up tips again ? Flanges don't have any room for adjustment, so the only way to alter alignment is by bending the hangers, right? Could you do that once mounted? Would you mind elaborating how you did that?? Would HATE to break a hanger near the weld. Thanks man.
LOL No no, I mean adjustment but where you bolt the two peices of the exhaust together. I didnt touch the hangers
Old 06-26-06, 09:09 AM
JCtx
Racer

Whew!! Glad to hear that. Did you use a lift, or ramps as well? I know it's probably going to take me longer to put the car on the 2x6s (bet they're going to slip) and the ramps, than the job itself.
Will post my experience here when done. Hope it arrives this week.
By the way, best price I found was $1,059 delivered from Alamo Motorsports (800-880-0960) if somebody is interested. Nobody carries it in stock (understandable), but Blitz does, and they drop ship. Have a great week guys.
Old 06-26-06, 11:47 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

you got it better then me. all I used was a hydrojack and two jack stands. also make sure you get some nice eye protection. get the crystal clear ones and that go around your eyes. sstuff from under the car is gonna go everywhere.
Old 06-26-06, 12:05 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz Exhaust

Remove The Hanger Bolts, Attach The Hangers To The Muffler And Re-install
And Check Alignment

Gee-bee
Old 06-26-06, 10:44 PM
JCtx
Racer

I always do Tony, but thanks. The good thing is my car still looks like new underneath after almost 3 years, since it's only been in the rain (light) twice . Hey, did you lift your car from the differential? Everybody says it can safely be lifted from there, but manual doesn't mention it; just curious. Might be easier to jack it up than putting it on the ramps; might do just that. It's be much better, since I can drive the car up on the 2x6s, and lift it from behind, where I wouldn't have the garage lip taking precioius space (have to back up car on ramps).

Thanks for the suggestion Gee-Bee.