SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Would you consider the 430 "obsolete"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 08:08 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Would you consider the 430 "obsolete"?

My sister is planning on trading her GS300 for an SC430. However, as much as she loves the body style of the current SC, she knows that the new engines of other Lexus have more power and better gas efficiency.

Now, I doubt that Lexus will ever put the 350 engine on the SC, nor will they probably put the 460 engine of the current body for the 2007MY. And it is also unlikely that the SC will survive through 2008MY. I also told her that there is a possibility that the IS will have a hardtop convertible perhaps within a year, which may be a contender to the current SC, which further confused her.

So, she asked me if she should get the SC430? I told her that the 430 engine is not "obsolete" but rather inferior to the new Lexus engines. She doesn't want a gas-guzzler, unless if the power pays off, which the 430 no longer provides compared to the new engines.

The main question? Do you think the SC430 is worth it with the old engine? Or should she wait for the "possibilities" in the future?
Old 06-26-06, 08:26 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I think that depends on what kind of driver she is.
For practical day to day driving, the current engine is more than sufficient. I seldom get to fully utilize it's potential unless I deliberate go to find a more remote stretch of road to test it, I have only done that a couple of times. But unlike some other owners, I' ve never driven this car too far out of town, I don' t need to, nor do I plan to because I no longer drive long distance anymore like I have in the past, I fly, plus I have the non-runflats without a spare tire.

I think she can get better discounts for the current one( I assume she is buying new ? ) than if she waits for a new one. How long does she plan to keep it ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-26-06 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-06, 08:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I think she can getr better discounts for the current one( I assume she is buying new ? ) than if she waits for a new one. How long does she plan to keep it ?
She actually wanted the SC a couple of years ago, but couldn't afford it. She got the '04 GS300 instead. She now has a new job title (she passed her nursing boards recently) and can finally get the SC. She will most likely keep it for life, as she likes the style more than anything else. It'll be her primary driver, and her job is less than 5 miles away, so not too many miles will be put on it.

She does want the benefits of the 460 (or even the 350) engine in comparison though. I think that's the thing that's making her question the decision. That's why she's thinking that the 430 is "obsolete"...
Old 06-26-06, 08:42 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
She actually wanted the SC a couple of years ago, but couldn't afford it. She got the '04 GS300 instead. She now has a new job title (she passed her nursing boards recently) and can finally get the SC. She will most likely keep it for life, as she likes the style more than anything else. It'll be her primary driver, and her job is less than 5 miles away, so not too many miles will be put on it.

She does want the benefits of the 460 (or even the 350) engine in comparison though. I think that's the thing that's making her question the decision. That's why she's thinking that the 430 is "obsolete"...

style and comfort definently get it. if she drives like a normal safe girl drives she will prob get better then 20 mpg which is pretty good for a V8. I doubt the 460 is going to be a dramatic improvement. The hardtop convertable is one of a kind in my opinion and even if a new model comes out in 2008 I think that this body style will still look fresh and new much like how the older porches still look new to me.
Old 06-26-06, 08:58 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Tough call. I seriously thought about swapping my SC for an IS350, so that tells you how nice I think the IS is for a lot less money than a new SC.
At the end, I decided to keep it. Even my wife told me if I was going crazy. The reasons I decided to keep it were the interior and the V8. There's no interior as luxurious as this car (especially that yellow wood), and I can't stand smeared Navigation screens that require menus even for simple A/C functions. The SC has a separate screen, and completely covered. Then the V8. Just like Lex, I don't need more power. In fact, prefer a V8 than a more powerful V6, like the IS. The sound of a refined V8 like the Lex is just intoxicating with a proper exhaust. So I just ordered me a Blitz exhaust, and will keep the sucker until it falls apart .
But in keeping with your question, NO; I wouldn't buy a new SC now if I didn't have mine already. Much harder to justify now than 3 years ago, for the reasons you mentioned, plus I have to ride my car with the top up 99% of the time in this crappy town; wouldn't miss the convertible top too much, I guess.
And as far as discounts, I bought mine for $5K+ ($59K even) below MSRP back then; you won't do much better than that even today, as it was just $1K above invoice (without holdback, of course).
One option is to buy used, as they depreciate like crazy (most cars do). Best thing is to let her ride all the contenders, and let her heart and wallet make the choice. Cheers.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-26-06 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i also think it highly depends on how much she loves the car. i talked to my wife about it (we have a 05 sc430), she has NO regrets on the car even knowing that the engine is sort of outdated and that the style will be changed later (soon?). she loves the car so much that she doesn't need to look further.

plus the thing with new body style, it doesn't mean it's going to look better. for example the gs, i have gs400 and i definitely like mine more than the 3gs. so that's something to keep in mind as well.

discount wise though i am not sure, since teh car is pretty hot and the price is always around 60k

philip, does she need to see more modded sc430?
Old 06-26-06, 12:46 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsolete?

I think the current model will be around until at least 2010. Lexus does not make major changes until the car has been around for 8 - 10 years. Lasts SC lasted for 10 years before the change.
Second generation GS lasted 8 years.

Last edited by abbeyrd; 06-26-06 at 01:30 PM. Reason: add to
Old 06-26-06, 12:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As others have said, it depends on what she wants. If she wants the fastest, look to another make-not Lexus. If she wants good power, OK mileage, TONS of style and luxury-look no further. Put another way-I still see many very nice GEN II GS's and LS400's that are certainly not obsolete. ME, I would take the 4.3 over the 3.5 motor anytime. Now the 4.6? That is another story. Even if Lexus came out with a SC460 or similar, the SC430 will still please years to come.
Lee
Old 06-26-06, 01:14 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm lost here. Comparing the 430 engine to the 350 is apples and oranges. True the 350 is slightly faster but its not because the 430 engine is a gas guzzling antique. The SC is a much heavier car and while the 430 engine is no way considered state of the art, it really has nothing to do with the car and if she will like it. Plus, the SC430 will get up and go with the best of them. I was very surprised that my SC can keep up with my friends G35 Coupe. On the freeway, I would give the nod to my SC. This is some fast company and the SC430 was really never about the power so its just icing on the cake.

The one thing that i will say is that SC is lacking in some of the newer features of the newer Lexi. Like surround sound, Vented seats, keyless ignition, etc but the SC's appeal doesn't stem from features and power but really the styling and the hard top convertible in a luxury class car and I'm with everyone else here and will say that the SC will be around for atleast another couple of years. The SC is low volume car and Toyota doesn't like to spend alot on making these cars over to make them current. The last SC was here for almost ten years, and at the end it was way out dated but yet people still bought and loved them so.

My 3 and half cents
Ken 02 SC430
99 R6
Old 06-26-06, 03:01 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldnt agree more that comparing the IS to the SC is way off. I just got my 430 a week ago, and I still dream about it in my sleep. I have had my eye on this car since the day it came out, and with the used ones depreciating ever so much, I was finally able to jump on it. I guarantee that if you pull up in an IS vs. SC, a million more heads will turn with the 430. The styling says it all, theres not a single other car out there that looks so hott.

I had my sc400 for 6 years until i finally sold it last month, and it still got looks every single day. Even though the newer version was out, it was still a beautiful car, as is the new 430. The amazing style of this car will look great for years to come!
Attached Thumbnails Would you consider the 430 "obsolete"?-95935482709_0_alb.jpg  
Old 06-26-06, 03:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I couldnt agree more that comparing the IS to the SC is way off. I just got my 430 a week ago, and I still dream about it in my sleep. I have had my eye on this car since the day it came out, and with the used ones depreciating ever so much, I was finally able to jump on it. I guarantee that if you pull up in an IS vs. SC, a million more heads will turn with the 430. The styling says it all, theres not a single other car out there that looks so hott.

I had my sc400 for 6 years until i finally sold it last month, and it still got looks every single day. Even though the newer version was out, it was still a beautiful car, as is the new 430. The amazing style of this car will look great for years to come!
Very clean SC you had there. Miss both of mine from time to time as well.
Lee
Old 06-26-06, 08:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
I think the current model will be around until at least 2010. Lexus does not make major changes until the car has been around for 8 - 10 years. Lasts SC lasted for 10 years before the change.
Second generation GS lasted 8 years.
no, lexus said they are going to remodel their cars much faster now than before. look at the ls430. from 01-06, and next yr it's gone. that's one 5 yrs.

imho 2010 that's a far stretch
Old 06-26-06, 08:58 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no, lexus said they are going to remodel their cars much faster now than before. look at the ls430. from 01-06, and next yr it's gone. that's one 5 yrs.

imho 2010 that's a far stretch
01-06 is a six year cycle for the LS430

The SC430 is a lower volume car compared to the LS430, so they MAY let it run a little longer, but yes, I agree you probably won't see the SC430 run as long as the previous SC, & I think the sales of the previous SC was really poor towards the end of the cycle because of that.

If the SC430 goes 02-07, it will also be a 6 year cycle. But so far, no info on the next one yet . . .
Old 06-26-06, 09:34 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the SC is a very stylish car and I always get continue to gets heads despite it getting older everyday. It is by no means a "common" car such as the bimmers and benzo's and I am astonished at how many people turn when the top is down on a sunny day. The car adores attention and it certainly deserves it because it has a very timeless design and is very elegant.

She will not be dissappointed with the SC; the 430 engine as you know is found throughout the model range and its reliability is tried and true. The hardtop is a timless design as well and won't get old on you. I know the 460's are enticing but if she really wanted one down the road (because no one really knows when or what the new SC will be like) she can always get a used one with the heavility depreciated prices that people have previously mentioned. If shes got the money know, I'd say go for and indulge on her dream car!

Good Luck on your quest!

Steve

PS: they look even better when modded as well!
Old 06-26-06, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
01-06 is a six year cycle for the LS430

The SC430 is a lower volume car compared to the LS430, so they MAY let it run a little longer, but yes, I agree you probably won't see the SC430 run as long as the previous SC, & I think the sales of the previous SC was really poor towards the end of the cycle because of that.

If the SC430 goes 02-07, it will also be a 6 year cycle. But so far, no info on the next one yet . . .
damn i have very bad math @_@

shouldn't be an engineer

Quick Reply: Would you consider the 430 "obsolete"?