SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does '02 have Rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 01:51 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does '02 have Rain sensing wipers? YES IT DOES!!! (sorta...)

I heard about this and forgot to inquire before i bought. Not that I would use this like crazy, just want to know my car. Does it have it in the 02? if so, how do you turn it on?

---UPDATE---

well, it was raining today and i found myself constantly adjusting the windshield wipers, i have a habit of getting quickly annoyed by that dry swishing sounds against my windshield when there's not enough rain. Anyways, theres a little feature built it to the wipers thats not that amazing, but it cool to know about.

So, you know there's 3 different speeds you can set the wipers to:

1) intermittent adjustable
2) medium pace
3) very fast

Well, if you're driving and you have it set at position 2, and then you come to a stop, the wipers automatically switch to slow intermittent speed. Then, when you accelerate again, the wipers increase speed back to medium pace automatically. This function only works in position 2, so if you have the wipers set to very fast pace, they will continue that way whether you stop or not.

So, i guess the SC doesn't have rain sensing wipers, better put, it has speed sensing wipers!

Last edited by TEXAS83; 07-02-06 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I figured it OUT!
Old 06-28-06, 01:55 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi there, not sure what year if any, but the 02 models do not have these.
Lee
Old 06-28-06, 05:57 AM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

The '02 does not have "rain sensing wipers."

I've been driving one for over five years, and, among all the other things I have to do while driving, I have to be able to sense the rain myself and tug on the stalk to get the wipers to operate. The wipers themselves have no idea it's raining.

I hate living like this.
Old 06-28-06, 07:17 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Even my 03 does not have it, I am not 100% sure about the 06.
Old 06-28-06, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am 100% sure 05 doesn't have it

i even doubt that for the 06, but not 100%. didn't read spec
Old 06-28-06, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

looking at lexus.com library, doesn't seem like so
Old 06-28-06, 01:57 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda weird since my 03 ES had it but my SC doesnt. you'd figure a top notch car like the SC would have it all.
Old 06-28-06, 03:28 PM
tfischer

Maybe it's the drivers of the SC who are top notch enough to know when it's raining all by themselves, and they can sense rain in the usual way.
Old 06-28-06, 04:24 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Okay, '02s, '03s, '05s and '06s don't have rain-sensing wipers. Well, you should have bought an '04; MINE DOES.
Ha ha ha. Just kidding. I have that on my other car, and honestly, it's crap. Until it gets much 'smarter' than it is now, you're better off doing the sensing yourself. Good day.
Old 06-28-06, 10:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Okay, '02s, '03s, '05s and '06s don't have rain-sensing wipers. Well, you should have bought an '04; MINE DOES.
Ha ha ha. Just kidding. I have that on my other car, and honestly, it's crap. Until it gets much 'smarter' than it is now, you're better off doing the sensing yourself. Good day.
haven't owned any car with it so don't know how it exactly works and how good / sensitive it is. but i agree, even if i have it i probably don't want to use it. in general i try not to use wipers unless it's absolutely necessary
Old 06-28-06, 10:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this would be useful for convertibles so that it closes the top automatically while parked once rain is sensed. I believe other makes have this feature. But then out in California once has ample warning of rain.
Lee
Old 06-28-06, 11:02 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I think this would be useful for convertibles so that it closes the top automatically while parked once rain is sensed. I believe other makes have this feature. But then out in California once has ample warning of rain.
Lee
I don't think they will allow this here in the gool 'ol US of Law suits A. Toyota of USA won't even let you roll up your windows with the key fob because of safety reasons (like a kid is hanging out the window), imagine what would happen if the car raised the roof and someone was in the way. But i saw in the Cbest settings that in places other than the US, you can roll up the windows with the key fob, so who knows..

But my parents 745I has rain sensing wipers. At first I thought it was retarded. How hard is it to turn on and off the wipers? But then I found the little thumb **** on the wiper stalk. You can adjust how much water (rain) you can have on the windshield before it wipes. Think of it as constanly varible wipers and its the greatest thing. You stop, it stops until it needs to wipe. You drive faster and it will always wipe when you need it. It kept me from always fiddling with the wiper setting (I use the wipers as little as possible). I'm not saying that I have to have it, but I wouldn't mind having it.

Laters
Ken 02 SC430
99 R6
Old 06-29-06, 05:45 AM
tfischer

The whole concept seemed silly to me, as I have noted above, but that option was on my recently purchased '04 RX330, although I did not even know it was there for several days, since the salesman did not mention it and it's hardly obvious to the casual observer -- and I was checking out important stuff at the time.

After a few months, my reaction is that it's not all that bad in most circumstances. The auto feature actually replaces the "intermittant" setting, and the speed of the wipers changes in accordance to the amount of rain falling on the windshield. (An IR beam is directed at the inside of the window, and the volume of rain is related to the amount of distortion in the reflected IR beam.) However, in very light rain, they are a little late to come on.

All in all, it's a cute idea, and it's moderately handy to have the speed of the wipers vary with the volume of the downpour, but I could do that myself. I would not care if any car I buy has this "feature" or not.
Old 07-02-06, 03:16 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the update up top!
Old 07-02-06, 07:25 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Didn't know that feature on your 'update'; kewl.
The feature I use the most is to just push down on the wiper stalk, and they swipe once. It rarely is hard enough to need position '2', but next time will try your find . Later.

Quick Reply: Does '02 have Rain sensing wipers?