SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daizen Bushing Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 08:17 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daizen Bushing Noise?

On my 2002 SC430, I had Daizen sway bars installed around Jun '04. Several months afterwards, I noticed squeaking noise coming from the polyurethane bushing during suspension rebound mostly. Not really during cornering. Finally in Oct '05, I worked with Sewell Lexus (Dallas, TX) to have the bushing relubed to make sure they were done properly (they didn't do the initial install). Then around Feb'06 the squeak came back. I notice it more when the weather is colder or in damp conditions. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks.
Old 06-30-06, 08:23 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent had those issues yet but sounds like a grease issue. It could be at other spots not just where the sway bars come in contact though. Could be at some other suspension parts.
Old 06-30-06, 09:19 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

That's possible, but when the bushings were regreased last Oct, the noise went away.
Old 06-30-06, 09:35 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFM
That's possible, but when the bushings were regreased last Oct, the noise went away.

then its probally the same thing. maybe it needs to be regreased
Old 06-30-06, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm that's weird. i do agree that it's probably the bushings. but i have had them for more than 1 1/2 yr now and i don't have any noise yet. if therer are a lot of rain i can probably see why, otherwise i don't know
Old 06-30-06, 01:00 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Off topic......How well are these sway bars? I havent done any type of suspension work yet and was wondering what I can do to improve the ride. I feel at higher speeds it feels like a boat. Real bouncy. Will this improve the ride? Thanks!
Old 06-30-06, 01:43 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Squeeking is the biggest complaint from any polyurethane bushings! They will never touch my car. Nothing worst than driving around in a luxory car that squeeks!
Old 07-01-06, 06:51 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

We really (really) don't have a wet environment in N. Tex, especially this year. ]
I think that the interference point between the bushing and the bar is on the front sway bar where the outboard portion of the bar curves and exits the bushing.
I can have them relubed, but it requires disassemble/reassemle, and that's a pain even if someone else does it.

The answer to the ride question - YES, it's a much better ride - not sports car flat in a turn, but a marked improvement. Also dump the run flats if you haven't. Get the Vette Z06 flat tire inflater bottle and a good inflation pump (I burned a cheap one up) that runs off the battery. All store nicely under the trunk floor mat.

Anyway - thanks for the replies - I seem to be the only one with the problem now.
Old 07-04-06, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

generalization like that? not sure if i agree. i have daizen sway bars on both my gs400 and sc430, and daizen bushings on my gs400. i have no squeak at all, so?

anyway, imho the sways make bigger difference onhandling than coilovers, so it's a must do imho
Old 07-05-06, 09:32 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Rominl - thanks for the help. I've heard only good things about Daizen from everyone. I'm beginning to wonder if I have that one front bar that has the bend that's just a little out of spec, and causing interference on the outboard portion of the bend and the bushing. I'm communicating with Sewell now, fyi. After thinking about it, this is the only conclusion that I can come up with. I remembered that last Oct one of the Sewell tech guys said he thought there was a design flaw in the bars because the bend wasn't located exactly right. Maybe it's just mine being out of spec a little(?).
Thanks
Old 07-05-06, 09:38 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Squeeking is the biggest complaint from any polyurethane bushings! They will never touch my car. Nothing worst than driving around in a luxory car that squeeks!
Beat this one to death in the past, no sense rehashing it now. Personally, I couldn't agree more but if you are not a high mileage driver, keep the car very long, or have a powerful sound system, it might not be an issue. Bends in bars being in the wrong place or the wrong angle is another issue altogether.
Old 07-05-06, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TXFM
Rominl - thanks for the help. I've heard only good things about Daizen from everyone. I'm beginning to wonder if I have that one front bar that has the bend that's just a little out of spec, and causing interference on the outboard portion of the bend and the bushing. I'm communicating with Sewell now, fyi. After thinking about it, this is the only conclusion that I can come up with. I remembered that last Oct one of the Sewell tech guys said he thought there was a design flaw in the bars because the bend wasn't located exactly right. Maybe it's just mine being out of spec a little(?).
Thanks
you can always try to email todd@tmengineering.net and see if he can help. he installed all my daizen stuff and he knows these stuff in and out
Old 07-06-06, 07:18 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
you can always try to email todd@tmengineering.net and see if he can help. he installed all my daizen stuff and he knows these stuff in and out
Thanks - god suggestion. I believe that Sewell communicates with Todd, too. I may wait to see what their response is before I contact Todd.
Old 07-06-06, 07:52 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the same problem -- squeaky front bushings, particularly during drastic temperature or humidity changes. I also take my car to Sewell, but I didn't have them regrease the bushings.

I intend to ask Todd about this, but I'm curious if we can grease the bushings ourselves. I have my doubts that WD40's spray lithium grease, while easy to apply, doesn't contain something that may deteriorate them.

I do recommend keeping them lubricated. While I love my sway bars, I believe I have a new issue, now with the front one. I won't go into details until I talk to Todd, but the last update I got was that the bushings could be worn.

The old issue is here.
Old 07-06-06, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would definitely suggest against wd40. i think it does more harm than good in removing the already present grease

i talked to todd before, he said you should only use the grease that comes with the daizen bushings / sways. they are one of the best he has used so far and he's been pretty happy

Quick Reply: Daizen Bushing Noise?