SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

DIY Blitz exhaust owners: Need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 02:54 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default DIY Blitz exhaust owners: Need your help.

Hi gang. Sorry to bother you, but UPS just dropped my Blitz exhaust (drop-shipped directly from them), and couldn't believe my eyes: box banged up, tore open 3/4 on one side, and several big holes everywhere. Exhaust had ZERO protection, other than a paper thin bubble wrap around the tips, which was no match for hard froors. The damage was a lot less than I expected, consisting mostly of scratches where they won't be seen, but I won't know for sure until I try to line things up under the car (hangers could be bent). The tips were damaged underneath, so might leave them that way if everything lines up properly. It'd take weeks to make another, so unless something is wrong with the fit, will keep it.
Here's my question: hardware bag was missing. What's included in there? Noticed the flanges on the mufflers and mid pipes are flat, maybe needing a specially shaped gasket. The front flange has an indentation, possibly using the same stock gasket., and same stock bolts. The muffler flanges need bolts and nuts that should be included, right?
Oh, and finally, the muffler flanges don't line up perfectly against the mid-pipe flanges, but I guess that's why the holes are elongated, no? They definitely will bolt together, but the pipes might be a bit offset; want to know if it's considered normal. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 07-03-06, 06:04 PM
aspguru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain my blitz exhaust was also banged up although not as bad as yours. i was very dissapointed in the blitz fitment and i still stick my foot in the passengers side exhaust tip and step on it every time i walk by the car becaust that side sits too close to the bumper. i was glad those flanges were slotted because this thing would not have fit if they werent.

you should be able to get it on but be prepared to so some tweaking and bending to get things to line up

good luck
Old 07-04-06, 10:10 AM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks a lot for your help. Yeah, it's disappointing, especially when they're welding a darn tube in-between the mid-pipe: no way in hell to bend them a bit closer together so the tubes can line up. So much for a good exhaust flow, huh? My consolation is that ALL appear to be built the same (sloppy) way.

Hey buddy, question for you: Could you tell me what hardware was included with your system? Mine was missing, and would like to know what to buy in case it takes weeks to materialize. I'm sure the front gasket will be the round, compressible one used on my GS400, but am curious about the rear flanges, as they don't have indentations at all. I'm guessing gaskets with the exact shape of the whole flange, but want to be sure, as well as the material used (cork, compressible kind, etc).

And thanks again for the heads up about having to tweak things around. I was hoping not to, but I've NEVER bought anything bolt-on that truly bolts-on without modifications, so I was mentally prepared for it. Hope it's not that bad, but if I can't adapt it to fit properly, it's going back (UPS marked the shipment as damaged).
As a comment, I polished the damaged areas and looks pretty good now. Doesn't look to be bent at all anywhere, but noticed that the mufflers are not that well aligned either, so my bet is somebody made this on a Friday. Take care, and thanks for your help again.
Old 07-05-06, 06:12 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I got mine without any hardware also. I went down to my local autozone. The bigger one, since their inventory is larger. Anyways measure the piping because your going to need gaskets. I think its like 3" I forgot exactly., But anyways I told the guy I needed some gaskets then he showed me into the back where they had all their gaskets and I found the one I needed. I think it was for a ford or mazda. Something old school. But they had a couple in stock and I picked them up. I would just get gaskets for all the holes. if not you could try to use some gasket maker or the stock gaskets. After that you just need a buncha bolts. I think I picked up a box of 10mm or 12mm bolts that were long enough to extend through the hole along with washers and nuts. That should be all the hardware you need.
Old 07-05-06, 09:30 AM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks Tony. I figure I'd have to buy it on my own, or be prepared to wait forever.
Will try Autozone first (no big ones here), or a muffler shop. Will take the lighter mid-pipe, so they can see both kinds of gaskets I'll need. I know what the front one have to look like, but don't know about the rear ones. Will try to find S/S bolts somewhere as well. Geez, and I thought this would be my first problem-free installation (yeah, right!). Thanks again buddy. Will keep you guys posted how it turns out (crossing fingers). Later.
Old 07-07-06, 09:35 AM
JCtx
Racer

Well, job done, but disappointed. By the way, you can reuse the front gasket, as the Blitz gasket 'depression' is .030" shallower than stock (that's why no leaks are reported there. And yes, the gasket stays in the cat, unless you remove it). The right gasket for the rear mufflers is part number: 85080 from Autozone. These are the ones that have metal in the inner portion, so they never 'blow out', like just paper gaskets could.
Now the disappointment. First, the spacing of the tips should be like 1" longer IMO; there's a big gap on the outside of the bumper openings. With a bit of tweaking, the spacing is perfectly simmetrical on both sides. The spacing is tighter than stock, but that's good since the muffler sits as high as possible (still lower than stock). And the rubber stops hit right before the tips can touch the upper portion of the bumber cutouts (great).
As for the sound? The first clue to what was going to sound like was the fact the darn mufflers weighed A LOT more than stock. So yes, when I fired the engine up, it sounded almost like stock (geez!). Haven't been able to drive the car because it rained like never before yesterday, but I honestly don't think it'll sound much better. I revved the engine hard, and I could bet cash money it's not ANY louder than stock. Definitely not like the sound clips I heard. Maybe with air intakes and such gets better, but I won't mess with those. Oh well.
I'll report again when I drive the car around, but as of now it's definitely not worth the $1,100 'investment' (as some of you call it < he he>). And this is coming from somebody who didn't want a loud exhaust. Later guys.
Old 07-07-06, 10:14 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to hear your engine your best bet is to buy a SRT intake. The intake on this car makes alot more noise then the exhaust. I happen to have a SRT intake for sale in the classifieds. Most reviews of this exhaust has said this sound was very stock sounding. If you want that deep growl get the SRT intake.
Old 07-07-06, 01:04 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Tony, thanks for your reply, and your offer.
For the record, I actually like it quiet inside, just the way it is now (I hear the engine the way I like it at higher revs). And I know this exhaust won't disappoint there. What I wanted was a bit louder and/or deeper bark outside, so it sounds like a proper V8. I still have to drive the car around, top down, then top up with windows open and closed. And let somebody else drive off to actually hear myself how it sounds. Take care.
Old 07-08-06, 09:43 PM
JCtx
Racer

Well, finally had a chance to take the car for a spin this evening, and the Blitz sounds MUCH better under load. The sound inside is just perfect with the windows up: you can definitely hear the engine more than before while accelerating, but once in cruise mode, it's pretty much the same as before (like I wanted). There's a bit of resonance around 1.5K (and below 2K), but it's very minor, and perfectly tolerable. Great news there.
With the top down, it sounds great; you can definitely hear the exhaust, until wind noise drowns it out. It's just a tad less than I'd have liked. Tips look a bit weird not separated a bit more, but I can live with it.
The final test is to let somebody drive off in my car and see how it sounds.
Bottom line is I DO justlfy the exhaust now. Goes with the character of the car (luxury convertible should be quieter than a sports car). Will report once my final test is over; hope it does sound like a V8 now.
As a side comment, Corsa has a technology that eliminates resonance, but sounds pretty aggressive outside (at lest on the Vette), just the way I'd have liked. But this system is almost a perfect match for our car ((MO, of course). Again, need to hear it as a passer-by. Will let you know my final judgment after that. Later.
Old 07-08-06, 10:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to hear you like it. Have read only positive comments about the car. Not too loud and like you said-fits the character of the car.
Lee