SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio Shot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 10:23 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radio Shot!

I'm an idiot...I was driving an accidently spilled coffee on the face of my radio. I guess it seeped in because the radio does not turn on. Its been a few hours already and still no luck. Does the warranty cover the radio? I guess i shouldnt tell them I spilled coffee.... Any suggestions?
Old 07-13-06, 10:26 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would wait till the next day and check again. Also, check the fuse for the radio. Location is in the manual. Good thing here is that Lexus does not check the internals of parts to determine the cause of a ,"defect". They would just replace the entire unit as long as there is no evidence to lead them to suspect otherwise.
Lee
Old 07-13-06, 10:53 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me, except with water -- about 8 ozs worth. The placement of the cup holders makes it pretty easy to pour liquid directly in the cassette slot if you accidently hit the cup. The only thing I experienced was that the volume on the radio would not work -- it did work on the steering wheel. After a day or so the volume **** started working again. Wonder if this is covered under the extended warranty? I'm sure I'll do it again over the next 3 years or 50k miles. Mine is under warranty until Aug 15 and unsure about buying it.
Old 07-13-06, 11:16 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am amazed at times how Lexus could design such a wonderful car, yet place the 2nd worst cupholders I have ever encountered in it. The 1st was my SC400 which had the cupholder 1 inch to the right of the stereo system.
Old 07-13-06, 11:36 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I would wait till the next day and check again. Also, check the fuse for the radio. Location is in the manual. Good thing here is that Lexus does not check the internals of parts to determine the cause of a ,"defect". They would just replace the entire unit as long as there is no evidence to lead them to suspect otherwise.
Lee
I already checked the fuse and it's still good. I just hope they dont check the radio internally. The positions of the cupholders are the worst. One hard turn and everything goes flying...I hope it turns on by the end of the day.
Old 07-13-06, 11:38 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

This is great.

We started with "I'm an idiot for having an accident . . ." and in 4 posts already it's the car's fault.

Is this a great country or what?
Old 07-13-06, 01:09 PM
DChuka
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
This is great.

We started with "I'm an idiot for having an accident . . ." and in 4 posts already it's the car's fault.

Is this a great country or what?
It's those damned runflats!!!
Old 07-14-06, 05:56 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am amazed at times how Lexus could design such a wonderful car, yet place the 2nd worst cupholders I have ever encountered in it. The 1st was my SC400 which had the cupholder 1 inch to the right of the stereo system.
I have to concur the cup holders are rediculous. They are just flat out horrible. I think someone should design some new ones. Like how they sink down in most cars and have a little cover on top. I have had to catch quite a few drinks, often times spilling some. Bad bad design
Old 07-14-06, 07:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes, they are too shallow, the tall cups from McDonalds would not be steady in them, they are just good for small drinks. I once have a tall one tilted over, luckily it was covered & I didn't spill anything, but never again would I order a tall pop. In a way that's good for me in terms of useless calories . . .
Old 07-14-06, 09:07 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the 18 oz bottles of arizona ice tea fit very well and dont fall out. However you cant get anything bigger then the 18oz. The next largest size doesnt fit. as an alternative to my supersized drinks I have put them in that cubby hole for the back seat. The one that sits right behind the arm rest. I find that works quite well. I just two drinks back there or 1 drink and stuf something to keep it from moving
Old 07-14-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you guys have NEVER seen it yet.... lee, go and check out the cup holder on the 6 series (to see how troublesome it is, and not at the best location) and also the sl500 (the cup holders are RIGHT in front of the radio, even closer).

by comparison the sc430 is much better already. though i agree, i think they could have made the design a bit better. probably deeper or so to hold longer drinks.

oh and my gs400 old style cup holders were horrible as well, they hold NOTHING. the 01+ is much better
Old 07-14-06, 10:04 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Well its off to Lexus tomorrow....Hopefully they can fix my problem under the warranty......

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
Old 07-14-06, 02:31 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

First of all, so you don't look like a fool, I'd just mention that you loaned your car, and the radio quit on your friend, relative, or whatever. If they come back and tell you something was spilled inside, you wouldn't look like a liar. And yes, on expensive components like stereos, I've read manufacturers do check for cause of failure (only makes sense, no?), so cross your fingers.

On the cup holders, I agree the location of both the SC400 and SC430 are not the best, but with some folks expecting to find a place for thier big-gulps, where do you expect to find the space? And they look AWFUL, wherever they are. I rarely bring anything to drink into my car, so I prefer not to have them at all, but when I do, it's only bottled water, and always with the cap screwed in place (except when I take a sip, of course). Good luck with the dealer.
Old 07-14-06, 05:27 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
First of all, so you don't look like a fool, I'd just mention that you loaned your car, and the radio quit on your friend, relative, or whatever. If they come back and tell you something was spilled inside, you wouldn't look like a liar. And yes, on expensive components like stereos, I've read manufacturers do check for cause of failure (only makes sense, no?), so cross your fingers.

On the cup holders, I agree the location of both the SC400 and SC430 are not the best, but with some folks expecting to find a place for thier big-gulps, where do you expect to find the space? And they look AWFUL, wherever they are. I rarely bring anything to drink into my car, so I prefer not to have them at all, but when I do, it's only bottled water, and always with the cap screwed in place (except when I take a sip, of course). Good luck with the dealer.
Good Idea.... I'll give it a shot....
Old 07-15-06, 01:41 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are so f-ing right about that! my old 400, i forgot that damn "cupholder" was there cause i didnt use it after the very first day with the car!

Quick Reply: Radio Shot!