SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Luxury Mod Works Remote Top!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 09:47 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got my Luxlink yesterday, waiting to have it installed. I have to admit I am concerned about the wheel not retracting or extending. I also love this feature. Anyone know why this cannot be achieved?
Old 08-08-06, 04:35 PM
Bebber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
As soon as I read that the wheel won't retract/detract like normal, I was turned off like hell. I mean, I'm 6'2" and I live for that damn feature. I loved it in my 400 and especially need it in my 430. Plus its pretty cool too, I haven't seen it in any other cars... I think I will use the money to upgrade to the '06 taillights instead!
Yeah, I'm skinny enough to where I can get in and out of the car fine with the steering wheel extended, but I can imagine how this could be a show-stopper for others.

To clarify, if you never use the "auto-close and exit the car" feature and just turn off the ignition and close the top using the remote control, then the steering wheel retraction deficiency will never be an issue for you.

I don't have wiring schematics to the SC430 so I haven't personally analyzed if there's a way around these idiosyncracies. It's possible that Steve is right and the Luxlink is designed to do its best given the car's limitations. I guess the consumer is left with three options:

1) Use the Luxlink but live with its deficiencies
2) Keep on starting the car and operating the top the old-fashioned way
3) Design your own remote start/top system

I chose #1. I don't regret it. I personally couldn't stand #2 because I believe a car like this should be able to lower the top remotely from the factory. Honestly, if #1 was not an option, I would have flexed my EE muscles and have gone ahead with #3.
Old 08-08-06, 09:05 PM
garcia2
Rookie

I got the LuxLink combo installed today.

Except for not being able to do the simultaneous remote top and starter operation, I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 08-09-06, 04:58 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by garcia2
I got the LuxLink combo installed today.

Except for not being able to do the simultaneous remote top and starter operation, I'm happy with my purchase.
What do you mean, "simultaneous remote top and starter operation?" Could you elaborate?
Old 08-09-06, 07:22 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TYTESC
Just got my Luxlink yesterday, waiting to have it installed. I have to admit I am concerned about the wheel not retracting or extending. I also love this feature. Anyone know why this cannot be achieved?

hey billy whats your email address I want to ask you a question.
Old 08-09-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

What do you mean, "simultaneous remote top and starter operation?" Could you elaborate?
i think with the new unit you are supposed to be able to start the car and put the top down through remote at the same time?
Old 08-09-06, 09:12 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
hey billy whats your email address I want to ask you a question.
sc430@netzero.net
Old 08-09-06, 09:12 AM
garcia2
Rookie

From the docs :

TO OPERATE REMOTE TOP AND STARTER SIMUTANEOUSLY
  1. Press and hold Unlock Button for approximately 3 seconds till a long audible beep is heard then press the lock button 2 times.
  • Note: The engine will first start then the top will either open or close.
  • Note: LuxLink detects what position the top is in, therefore will open or close the top accordingly
I hear the long beep, the engine starts, but the top doesn't go down. I stopped trying after three attempts.

This may have something to do with my Lexus Personalized--i.e., C-BEST--settings. I had the dealership make the following changes a long time ago:
  • unlock both doors after pressing transmitter once
  • do not lock doors when shifting out of park

Last edited by garcia2; 08-09-06 at 10:45 AM. Reason: fixed url to luxlink doc
Old 08-09-06, 10:27 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

garcia2,
Oh, I see. Now I get it. Thanks.

******Major Concern*******

I do not have a credit-card style Flat key and transponder.
The dealer wants $265.00 for the stupid thing. I am pissed!
The key is almost as much as the Luxlink.

Last edited by Radical350; 08-09-06 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 02:28 PM
Bebber
Rookie

garcia2,
Oh, I see. Now I get it. Thanks.

******Major Concern*******

I do not have a credit-card style Flat key and transponder.
The dealer wants $265.00 for the stupid thing. I am pissed!
The key is almost as much as the Luxlink.

You can go to a qualified locksmith and he can duplicate the transponder signature of your regular car key onto a key blank for closer to $60. This is a cheaper alternative than using the credit card flat key if you don't have it already.
Old 08-10-06, 12:23 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bebber
You can go to a qualified locksmith and he can duplicate the transponder signature of your regular car key onto a key blank for closer to $60. This is a cheaper alternative than using the credit card flat key if you don't have it already.
Good idea, thanks. I will check into that.
Old 08-10-06, 01:03 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Manual says you CAN'T start the car with the credit card key. I have it hidden under the car in case I get locked out. It's nice to know nobody can just drive away with it.
And isn't the transponder inside the key like a little chip? Don't tell me we also have an 'el cheapo' metal frequency similar to the Chevy's little metal piece inserted in their keys? Hope it's a real chip.
Old 08-10-06, 02:56 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

You CAN start the car with the flat key. That's what it's for, and that's why there is a chip in the plastic case.

I think what the manual says is that you can't start the car with the flat key alone. You have to insert the flat key and then hold the case (with the chip in it) within an inch or two of the ignition switch; then the key will start the car. I have done this several times.

I keep my flat key hidden for the same reason, but NOT with the case. I have that hidden inside the car, since the flat key will work the door by itself.

For this reason, you should not use the case AND the flat key for the remote start. Just use the black plastic case with the chip in it. This already compromises your security -- making the key available increases the ease of theft.

Finally, I think we do have a real chip in the keys. You can see it when you change the battery in your key, and if you get a new key, after it is cut it has to be "matched" to your ignition so that the ignition will recognize the key and authorize it to operate.

Hey, did you see that JD Powers survey today? I'm glad I didn't get that Land Rover.
Old 08-10-06, 03:48 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

What survey? I own a range rover...
Old 08-10-06, 04:56 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

The new JD Powers Long Term Reliability survey is out today.

Lexus was the top-ranked nameplate for the 12th consecutive year. Last-place, as usual, is Land Rover, which has finished dead last or second last for the last 5 or 6 years at least. The only difference with Land Rover this year was that it was not just in last place, it was way, way in last place, far behind the second last make, Saab. I forget all the scorse, but the increment between Saab and Land Rover was much greater than almost any other adjacent two in the list. The Saab score was 326 and the Land Rover score was 438. Check the re-sale value of your LR. Many dealers won't even take them off your hands, because they have such little value on the market because there are so few buyers, because today the number one purchasing factor is often reliability.

It wasn't even close.

PS: The top finisher in the category: "Premium Sporty Car" was, guess what, the SC430.
No surprise there.

Quick Reply: Luxury Mod Works Remote Top!